FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Saturday:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Saturday:
    Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:41pm
That sounds sweet.
I was lucky enough to go rafting once in Tennesee, and my arm was in a cast/sling at the time. Riding in the front, not paddling, with my arm in a garbage bag was kinda weak but I still loved every second of it.

Sounds a heck of a lot better than spending Saturday morning under my old Mercury anyway.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 2:18pm
I also visited a place called the Blue hole this weekend, but it was at Albert Pike in Arkansas.

Here's the view from on top of the mountain.

Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

That's awesome. I haven't whitewater rafted in years. I miss it.

I'm really, really lucky to have good friends who are up for a day of rafting at the drop of a hat. Otherwise it'd be extremely cost prohibitive to go as much as I do. Commercial trips on the Lower NRG run $140 or so anymore unless you go in the summer on a Tuesday when you can run for half-price (which is what I do each year). Even then, there's so much GREAT whitewater here in the east that you don't even get to touch on commercial trips. My buddy Fred owns the raft, so that makes it a LOT cheaper.

The North Branch is a good trip, but it was simply a shake-down for my buddy Jae to make sure we could depend on him not to do anything stupid when we get into the serious stuff on the Cheat, Yough, and Gauley later this year.

I still need to grab one more piece of equipment (well, 2, but 1 is necessary the other is a "want" more than anything) which is a USCG Type V rescue vest. Really want an Astral Green Jacket, but might go with Kokatat's rescue vest as it's a touch cheaper. The "want" is a nice canoe/raft paddle, but it's not necessary at this point. I'd kill for a GoPro helmet setup too, but that's way in the future at this point.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:07pm
That's awesome. I haven't whitewater rafted in years. I miss it.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:48am
I have always wanted to white water raft or kayak. Might need to take a trip to Colorado.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 8:24am
Involved some pretty fun whitewater rafting on the North Branch of the Potomac River up near Luke, Maryland. Nothing crazy for the whitewater, but my buddy owns his own NRS Otter 130 and we've been looking to put together a group of solid paddlers to take on some larger stuff, so it was a good flesh-out run with my buddy Jae to make sure he's up to the effort to do things like the Upper Yough and Cheat Canyon. One of the great things about the North Branch Potomac is that it's a dam release, so you always know when there's going to be enough water to run it thanks to the ACoE release schedule. One of the bad things about the North Branch is that the dam releases from the bottom meaning it's always balls cold and wet suits are pretty much necessary. Anyway, whenever we take someone on the trip, we make them do the cliff jumping at blue hole. Today was my buddy's first time with us, so he did the 30-footer. The video is on my youtube and facebook pages, but I won't link because I already got a "strike" for language on FB (thanks... mod who thinks he's funny!) and there is an F-bomb in it thanks to my buddy Fred. Of course, you can PM me too and I'll shoot you a link. Anyway, it's a good vid of a fat guy jumping off a cliff and making a big splash.

Otherwise, great day on the river, some fun big-water near the middle of the run, and got to eat lunch while sunning on a rock in the middle of the river.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic