Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some people are too sensitive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some people are too sensitive
    Posted: 06 April 2013 at 2:20pm
This video has been going around my Facebook because I went to Purdue a few years ago.

Recently an article was posted by a graduate student and a professor in English and American Studies claiming this video is racist.  "...this is indeed hipster racism to a catchy tune."

Here's the article.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20130404/OPINION03/304040015

LOL

Edited by pntbl freak - 06 April 2013 at 2:21pm
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 3:25pm
^^^

Obviously you are insensitive to the feelings of sensitive people.

LOL

I decided to copy/paste the article so I could amuse myself by pointing out the hypocrisy contained within it.  What I ended up doing is just giving my thoughts on it.

Originally posted by whiny article whiny article wrote:

Guest column: Why Purdue should remove 'This is Engineering' viral video

Purdue’s president’s office and the Aviation Technology Department are credited with aiding in the production of “This is Engineering,” a video about engineering at Purdue that has gone viral on YouTube, receiving more than 170,000 hits. The video has also been posted to the official Purdue Facebook page.

The video features four white male engineers “rapping” and dancing as they express their enthusiasm to “write code” and work on engineering projects.

While "write code" is a quote from the video and should be in quotes, "rapping" isn't a quote and the only reason I can see for putting it in them is that the writers are somehow trying to insinuate that white male engineers can't rap.  (Similar to using air quotes when discussing someone's supposed skill that isn't really a skill or that impressive.)  This seems to me to be racist, sexist and prejudiced against engineers.

The video tries to shatter the stereotype of engineers as “nerds” or bookworms by showing them in sunglasses clowning in the classroom.

It would seem that the writers here, by using the word "try" are indicating that the video fails to dispel the stereotypes associated with engineers.  In my opinion, it gives the impression that such stereotypes are deserved.  This doesn't seem at all to be a fair and open-minded assessment.

The video even features the engineers “rapping” with Purdue President Mitch Daniels.

Personal opinion, this isn't the type of thing the President of a University should be involved with.  Not because of it being racist or sexist, but just because it comes across as unprofessional.

While purportedly trying to challenge stereotypes of engineers, the video reproduces several racist and sexist stereotypes of its own.

First, the featured engineering students who sing and dance are white and male. In reality, the majority of graduate students and a significant minority of undergraduate students in the College of Engineering are international students or non-white. The video replaces a multicultural reality with the idea of white supremacy.

Yes, this is obviously a white supremacy motivated video.  It couldn't possibly be related to the fact that perhaps four friends who go to school together and have similar interests just got together and did it within their own little group.  Personal opinions on this; yes, somebody didn't think through the possible ramifications of this video when they decided to make it in the manner they made but also, someone else suffers from too much perpetual butthurt.

Edited Addition:  Also, as pointed out by pbntl freak below, the numerical claims made by the letter writers at the best lack factual accuracy and at the worst could be considered an intentional distortion to further their views.

Second, the only “non-white” student featured appears to be a South Asian male who cameos as “our Asian friend/engineer” although never rapping, dancing or contributing to any of the predominate scenes in the video; invariably his presence is only important when he is mocked by his peers for studying too much.

I agree, this perpetuates stereotypes related to Asians and also seems tacky.

The video in fact uses an African American art form (rap) as well as the body language and performativity of a black aesthetic to exclude non-white people and make fun of the only ones who appear.

This sounds more like somebody is annoyed by the fact that some non-African Americans had the audacity to utilize an African American art form than a valid point.  It basically comes across as white people can't rap and I don't miss the irony of this considering the anti-stereotyping/racism tone of the article.

Although the students utilized Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ tune as a basis for their “celebration of engineering,” this is indeed hipster racism to a catchy tune.

The same persons also seem to dislike hipsters based on the way they tie hipsterism to racism in the above statement.

Third, there are no female engineers in the video. Women make up about one-quarter of the student enrollment in the College of Engineering. In the video, the only women portrayed gyrate merrily along behind the white male engineers and never sing themselves. They are groupies, not students.

I would postulate that they are the back up dancers.  Something that you will see, used in the same manner, in any music video from any genre of music.

The video has a frat party feeling, where women are ornaments to male pleasure and excess.

Agreed . . . and someone sounds jealous . . . perhaps one of the writer's didn't get into the fraternity of their choice.  Also note how "frat" is used as if being in a fraternity is automatically a bad thing.  Little more stereotyping being done here by the writers in my opinion.  (Because we all know the only people that join fraternities are beer-guzzling, misogynistic, dim-witted future sex offenders.)

Adding to this frat party atmosphere, the women are mostly faceless during the entirety of the film, perfecting their objectification as the eye candy of the video by only showing their arms, legs, derrieres and chest.

B.S flag thrown--I watched it through and didn't see it this way.

Finally, the video maintains a legacy of valorizing white male engineers, while completing erasing the history of other important engineering initiatives, such as the founding of the National Society of Black Engineers at Purdue. Indeed almost halfway through the video (1:50), the audience is presented with four white males alongside President Daniels and the crest of Purdue, clearly displaying the so-called “commitment to diversity” that Purdue is displaying to the world. Whether Daniels knew of the racist and sexist overtones of the entire video, his presence in this moment cements in the public’s mind his and Purdue’s administrative priorities.

Agree to a point.  It "cements" this perspective in the minds of those members of the public that are hypersensitive and see offense wherever they turn; most others probably won't even notice.

We think Purdue should remove the video from the Internet and its Facebook page. When having the video removed, the institution should write a press release explaining why it was removed and the problematic ways that it portrayed engineering at Purdue, Daniels and Purdue at large.

I would disagree based on free speech principals and the fact that anyone who wishes to create a video they feel more accurately portrays the school is free to do so.  I do feel that such outside projects have no place being given even the appearance of official support just based on the fact it sets a bad precident.

We also request that the university disclose the amount of money used in the production of the video and produce a video of equal budget written and directed by women and people of color, which accurately and fairly depicts their contributions to Purdue. We ask that Daniels appear in the video making a statement that Purdue supports racial, gender, sexual and ethnic diversity. We ask that both of these steps be taken immediately.

So . . . they want one video removed, but want one that they approved of that supports their message to be posted instead.  Sounds fair to me.

We will not stand silently by at the degradation of the institution and more importantly its brilliant, diverse body of students from around the world. We invite you to join us in this campaign for a better Purdue by writing to Daniels’ office at president@purdue.edu.

Whatever.

Halliday is a master’s student in the Purdue American Studies program. Mullen is English and American Studies professor. They are members of the Purdue Antiracism Coalition.

Hmmm, American Studies and English and American studies . . . sounds like someone is jealous that the engineers (i.e. people getting real degrees in hard sciences) are now trying to become cooler in addition to having higher paying career options after college.  This rates a "waaaaa!" from me.

Edited by Mack - 07 April 2013 at 9:01pm
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^

Obviously you are insensitive to the feelings of sensitive people.

LOL

Wink

"... In reality, the majority of graduate students and a significant minority of undergraduate students in the College of Engineering are international students or non-white"

I always knew Purdue had a huge population of international students but I was curious to how accurate this statement was.  I went through the Purdue Engineering website and found this.

Fall Enrollment (2012*)

Students Women Underrepresented Minorities
Undergraduate 7,615 22.2% 6.1%
Graduate 2,918 19.9% 4.9%

https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/AboutUs/FactsFigures

Edited by pntbl freak - 06 April 2013 at 3:46pm
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 5:54pm
So anytime a group of guys make a video for fun they have to make sure it has the same racial balance of a McDonald's commercial or the PC police take up arms?
Maybe my redneck self missed a ton of symbolism in the video, or someone needs to find something relevant to complain about.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 9:59pm
Yeah this guy needs to simmer down. As Mack pointed out it is like the pot calling the kettle ... erm I mean ethnically diverse utensil that could just as easily be from the garden or bathroom calling a different yet equal item bla... hmm well I won't finish that sentence in case Sally sensitive was to see it and I'd have Interpol on my case.

Total whingy bollocks I say. There's only white people in my family photos. Maybe I should colour a few of us in so I don't get some eedjits knickers in a twist. I wonder how this guy would react to all the plastic Paddy's on St Patricks day. Seeing as they just perpetuate cultural stereotypes.

I demand this man write another article of equal length including strong sexual innuendo and a crime fighting baked potato. I DEMAND IT!
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

I demand this man write another article of equal length including strong sexual innuendo and a crime fighting baked potato. I DEMAND IT!

This.

Edited Addition:  I liked the term "Sally sensitive" and plan on using it in the future to refer to people who are like this.

Edited by Mack - 07 April 2013 at 12:01pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 12:12pm
Super sensitive people annoy the piss out of me. Also, what is hipster racism? Every hipster I know is far too pretentious to be racist.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 12:57pm
A good response article is out, I would link it, but some comments have foul language.
But it's this /2013/04/05/why-purdue-should-keep-the-this-is-engineering-viral-video/
after typing this grandprixproblems.com

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 2:43pm
I watched the video.

I'm speechless. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic