Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another gun thread. This time, training.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another gun thread. This time, training.
    Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:43am
Training starts today. Not for me, but for my 4 year old.

We were issued our duty belts at the academy the other night, and among the gear was a blue dummy glock. As I was prepping my gear this morning, he sees it and recognizes it as a gun.

So, I proceeded to tell him how if he ever see it, or anything that looks like it, no matter what color it is- he is to tell an adult and not touch it. He wouldn't get into trouble for telling someone, (you have to stress that to 4 year olds- a lot.)

He seemed to get the picture, but my wife decided that we're going to test him today on that lesson.

At some point, we're leaving it where he can see it, and are going gauge his reaction to it.

The first thing to learn about firearms is respect, and if he can learn early to respect that they can be dangerous, We're on the right track. Part of the problem we're having as a nation I think, is the idea that firearms are still 'taboo' to a degree. Only be exposure and education can we break the habit, and in our house, that starts today.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:52am
Obviously, you should post a video of him playing with it on Facebook.

Bonus points if it has been dipped in chocolate.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Obviously, you should post a video of him playing with it on Facebook.

Bonus points if it has been dipped in chocolate.

Chocolate is expensive and a pain in the neck to melt. How about just the muzzle end?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 7:38pm
^^^

LOL  The libs are sooooooo gonna getcha.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:27pm
Did everyone in your academy get issued the dummy glock, Reb?

Because if anyone got a Beretta, stay the hell away from them during SCAT. The sights on the dummy 92Fs are razors.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:44pm
I agree on the taboo thing.

It's like drinking-my friends raised in houses where they were allowed to drink under adult supervision seemed far less prone to drink than those of us who were sheltered.

Mystique creates fascination.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:43pm
Children should not be exposed to guns, until they have become adults. All movies depicting guns, should be NC-17. All television shows that have guns in the program, need to be showed in the late evening, when children are sleeping. All toy guns should be banned, because pointing, or pretending to have a gun is wrong.

<Moderator edit:  I agree completely . . . which is why this post is undergoing removal consideration for having too many mentions of the word "gun" in it for a family friendly forum.*  Darn, I posted the word "gun" once twice now and will have to consider removing my edit.    Mack>

*I.e. more than zero.

Edited by Mack - 28 March 2013 at 7:14pm
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:20am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Children should not be exposed to guns, until they have become adults. All movies depicting guns, should be NC-17. All television shows that have guns in the program, need to be showed in the late evening, when children are sleeping. All toy guns should be banned, because pointing, or pretending to have a gun is wrong.

Andrew Cuomo???
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 10:39am
Impulse has been making those types of comments lately. Makes me wonder if he is being sarcastic or not.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Impulse has been making those types of comments lately. Makes me wonder if he is being sarcastic or not.

definitely sarcastic. He's just pointing out the extremism around the various political arguments right now.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

definitely sarcastic. He's just pointing out the extremism around the various political arguments right now.

It's not extremism . . . it's just the basic fact that everyone who isn't me is intentionally obfuscating and just plain wrong.

. . . and sometimes the people who are me are too!
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 9:07pm

all I could think about when I read "dummy gun"

quick edit: the first time I was exposed to and fired a gun was when I was about 5. it was a .357 mag. my dad was holding on I just pulled the trigger.

Edited by stick_boy_2002 - 28 March 2013 at 9:11pm
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:20pm
In other news, it appears that the assault weapons ban has not yet reached Afghanistan...or will in the near future.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:54pm
I think that's exactly what parents should do.
My dad let me shoot his guns as young as 4. He also made sure I knew what several different kinds of guns looked like/how they worked.
It proved useful when I was about 6-7 years old and stumbled on my cousin's handgun IN A TOYBOX in his bedroom (long story). I ejected the magazine from the gun, opened the chamber/placed safety on, and brought the gun outside to my uncle.
Could have been much worse, considering I knew my cousin played airsoft, and that's what I thought it was when I pulled it out of the box.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:45pm
So.. How old was your cousin when he had a handgun sitting in a toy box?
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:57pm
That's why I said long story.
My family is from the south, where apparently no one thinks anything at all about people having guns in public or private.
My cousin was 8 when that happened. Why my uncle let him have a handgun in his room was beyond me (and illegal, I think).
But they own a cattle farm and stable, and my uncle has always trusted my cousin with a gun. I remember being jealous because he got to go hunting as soon as he was big enough to hold a gun.
Again, no one seemed to think it was out of the ordinary for him to have the handgun stowed away somewhere.

Strange how something so taboo to some people is just so commonplace to others they don't even think twice about it. My uncle just told my cousin not to leave it somewhere where someone else would find it, told me I "did the right thing," and left it at that.
Southerners.....
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 3:43pm
I had a .38 in my toybox as a kid. The firing pin broke so my dad gave it to me.

Oddly enough it was my least favorite toy gun growing up.

Edited by stratoaxe - 29 March 2013 at 3:43pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 5:28pm
One of my first toys was a pinless Arisaka.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 5:50pm
I wanted a musket when I was growing up . . .

. . . but my folks wouldn't buy me no "gimmicky new-fangled weapons."

Edited by Mack - 02 April 2013 at 11:11am
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I wanted a musket when I was growing up . . .

. . . but my folks wouldn't by me no "gimmicky new-fangled weapons."

did you at least get a cross bow?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic