FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPL
    Posted: 27 March 2013 at 11:30am
Reb, what S&W are you looking at? Model 10s and 64s can be had cheap, and can be made DAO easily.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Wow,  around here you can pretty much throw on a holster and go.

(Obviously doing this in banks and bars is frowned upon but otherwise there's usually no problem.*)

Banks, post offices, government buildings, and schools are off limits with our permits. Even having one in a glove box in the parking lot of said places is a felony.

While its not illegal to do in bars- yeah its frowned upon there too.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:56am
Wow,  around here you can pretty much throw on a holster and go.

(Obviously doing this in banks and bars is frowned upon but otherwise there's usually no problem.*)

*Unless you happen to have the bad luck to live in one of the few communities out here that has been infiltrated by left-wing loser, gun-hatin', California granola hippie transplants.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:37am
I pick up my M&P 40 this weekend, and I'm looking into a spurless S&W revolver for my every day carry.

I know a lot of people, especially on here scoff at the idea of a revolver, but I don't feel like screwing around with magazine sizes and capacities in NY until they finally figure out what the hell they're going to do. Right now, we can have 10 round magazines but carry 7 rounds in it. There may be a provision for law enforcement that says something else.

I don't hold a police job yet, so I'm not going to tempt fate by carrying magazines I'm not supposed to have, and be subject to someone's interpretation of a hazy law in the event that I manage to get into trouble with it (I won't, but still)

So a revolver is going to by my every day/backup carry. I've always liked revolvers, and if I can pick up something in .38/.357, I'll be perfectly comfortable with it.

Side note, has anyone had any experience with the 511 clothing they make for carry purposes?

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:29am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Oh, and this place is dead beyond belief.
Way dead.  Its like people think its Spring or something...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:27am
I first got one in 1996 that was work related so I could join my company's Executive Protection Team.  The prosecutor that we had at the time of my application didn't believe in CPLs and thought nobody needed them.  Three days after he wasn't reelected, the new prosecutor had me appear before the gun board.  I had to answer several questions by representatives of the State Police, the County Sheriff, City Police and prosecutor.  The questions were straight forward and easy to answer since my bosses prepared me for what was to come.

I toyed around with getting this CPL for awhile.  What turned me around was knee-jerk reaction to the Sandyhook shooting.  Figured it best to get the CPL in case of a "worst case scenario" where the laws may change and make it tougher to get one again.

So, my first venture out with my pistol was a visit to the Dentist to get a hole drilled in my head to remove and replace a bad filling.  I had hoody on and it covered the holster and pistol perfectly.  I would occasionally run my hand down to my hip to make sure it was still covered.  Left after the appointment and AFAIK, nobody was the wiser.  Wasn't sure how my wife would take it, but she didn't seem to care.  Heck, the instructor of the class went to her office one day for an adjustment and took his pistol off his belt before he got on her table.  She just shrugged it off as not being a big deal.  So, I guess I'm good there.

Has anyone run afoul of the Police while they were carrying and had any trouble?

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Yup.

I carry my Glock 26 as close to 24/7 as is possible. Bad things don't only happen when you are out.

My wife carries a Ruger LC9. Not as often as I carry but not a bad amount of time.

I've also had GF's who've had a problem with it. They didn't last very long. If you aren't willing to protect yourself and those you love you don't have much right to expect others to do it for you.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 11:49pm
I brought up the idea of at sometime in the future, carrying a pistol with me. She is absolutely opposed to it. I think it would be great to have in case of certain situations. She asks how likely am I to be in such a situation, but I think it would be great to carry one and never have to use it.

I also have the problem where my body figure probably isn't the best for carrying.

Edited by RoboCop - 26 March 2013 at 11:52pm

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 1:06pm
Yup. Carried pretty much close to 365 per year since 1999.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 9:06am
My CPL came in the mail yesterday.  Now trying to get used to wearing the pistol wherever I go and being mindful of where I'm going.  For now I have to plan ahead for trips or running around until I get a good lockbox for the car in case I have to stow the weapon in case I have to enter a weapons free zone.

Anyone else got a CPL?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic