FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Labor dispute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Labor dispute
    Posted: 22 March 2013 at 2:46pm
This could get TL:DR, but I wanted to run something past those if you with nothing to do.

Flashing back- some of you may remember back when I left my job with the school. Very briefly, they told me there was no money in the budget to keep me, and if I wanted to, I could stay on at a first year civil service rate and work under the maintenance dept and still fix computers. I couldn't afford that option (they knew I couldn't) and I left.

My replacement there worked for 3 years on the rate described, then his position was 'reevaluated' and he's an administrator making +60K a year. Back room deal? Perhaps. Don't care, I'm beyond it, its just a reference point for some the other goings on.

Moving to recently- one of the bus drivers backed into a pole and damaged the wheel well so badly that the mechanic had to come onsite and fix it so she could drive back to the garage. (remember this point)

A few weeks ago, my mother slid a bit on slick roads and scratched the side of HER bus on a guardrail. It was such a minor event that she didn't know about it until she was called on the carpet and told that she was in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident and damaging district property. She could either be terminated, or submit her paperwork for retirement (she was the senior most driver in the district.)

When she asked why the other driver wasn't punished (two paragraphs up) for wrecking HER bus, everyone denied that it ever happened, INCLUDING the mechanic- who said he'd never gone and fixed anything.

So now, I make a comment on facebook telling people about how my mother was forced into retirement with the same antics that were used to get rid of me so long ago. Whelp, word got back to the superintendent, and he's PISSED. He went to the non-instructional staff president and threatened to reverse his decision to let my mother retire and that he was going to terminate her, thereby cancelling her insurance and retirement benefits.

Here's the question....can he actually DO that? I mean, to hold her benefits over her head until the retirement takes effect in an effort to 'hush everyone up?' I'm not very bright, but that doesn't seem like its possible, since her paperwork's been submitted and she's done the end of the month.

Now, some of you are saying "What moron puts that on facebook?" well- me. BECAUSE I'm friends with at least one BOE member, and in all likelihood, the board didn't know anything about her retirement until the superintendent presented her letter. He's got a great habit of making unilateral decisions without consultation, and I wanted to make sure that SOMEONE in the know had the seed planted that this might not have been a legitimate release. It worked apparently, and my best guess is that the board member I know went to the superintendent with the old "Double yoo tee eff mate?" - which is why the old windbag got mad.

Is there actually a possibility that he can pull her retirement because he's mad at ME for something I said in a public forum? That seems vindictive and not very.......legal. 

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 3:20pm
we need our resident hardly seen lawyer/admin to chime in. 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:13pm
Why not just contact the boe directly if that was your goal?
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:35pm
Reb likes the passive aggressive approach.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 11:22pm
Skinhat. Everyone wins. Except the superintendent.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 12:00am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Reb likes the passive aggressive approach.

Around here, that's the way it had to be. A public denunciation is much more effective than a phone call....especially if they didn't know about a unilateral decision to pull the plug on one of their senior employees.

Besides that, passive aggressive is WAY more fun, and I'm better at it than direct confrontation.

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 12:08am
press leak
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 4:05pm
No, he can't reverse that decision, especially if there's a paper trail.

Also, if there was no damage done to the guardrail, it's not leaving the scene of an accident. The only time that can be invoked is if there is property damage.

I think your mom might want to lawyer up. At the very least, it would allow you to get legal affidavits from witnesses to the prior driver's accident AND get character witnesses lined up in case you have to go after the super should he actually follow through with the threat. What's more, if your lawyer has a nice conversation regarding this whole thing with the board lawyer, the super's going to find himself being forced to make nice with your mom real quick in the hope that she'll let all of it slide.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Also, if there was no damage done to the guardrail, it's not leaving the scene of an accident. The only time that can be invoked is if there is property damage.

I know this from my VTL class, but the sticking point is if there's a section in the district policy that could say otherwise.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I know this from my VTL class, but the sticking point is if there's a section in the district policy that could say otherwise.

Ask to see your mom's employee handbook. If it isn't in there, she's not responsible for knowing it to be a policy.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 9:55am

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Ask to see your mom's employee handbook. If it isn't in there, she's not responsible for knowing it to be a policy.

That's exactly where I am now. She's officially done the 31st of this month, and once she's safely out and guaranteed her benefits, I plan on cage-rattling as loudly as I can, especially if there's no legal or district policy to base a 'leaving the scene claim.'

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic