FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uh, Whale?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:36am
Pretty much. The number of rounds has nothing to do with intent. I've probably got a about 2000 rounds of .22, 1000 rounds of 9mm, 750 rounds of .45ACP, 120 shotgun round and a mix of rifle calibers that probably make up another couple of hundred. Doesn't mean I'm gonna shoot people simply because I have ammunition.

Buying in bulk saves money.....

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

"Cops seize four .22LR bolt-action rifles, two .22LR revolvers, and one-thousand rounds of .22LR ammo from John Doe's house"

Because news is written for the average person to consume -- if this were a firearms trade magazine covering an incident, that would be acceptable. A very good portion of the public is not going to know what that means, and "two rifles" is plenty acceptable. 

Quote in the minimal facts fear-monger approach

And one wonders how the paranoid gun-nut stereotype forms. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:58am
I think the issue is that they give just enough information to make it sound scary. Why say "3 assault type weapons(OMG a black rifle!) and 700 rounds of ammunition instead of:

1) Tallen's point, being specific, or,

2) "3 guns and ammunition"
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

1) Tallen's point, being specific,

Because a good portion of people are not going to know what that means. I could see an argument that, to some extent, explanation as to what the type of gun means could be included, but that's not to say that the media is inherently incorrect in simply saying the number of rifles, pistols, etc. 

2) "3 guns and ammunition"

What difference does it make to specify rifle/pistol/shotgun? 

People are going to know what those things mean. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:26pm
Every story I've seen so far about this situation has said what type of rifle and pistol he had, including the calibre. From what I've seen, there has not been much confusion about it.

This is someone who left a note saying his intentions were to "give them hell," and was illegally keeping a gun and ammunition in his dorm. 

I guess I'm just confused as to what the issue is with stating how much ammunition he had in the news stories? 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Because a good portion of people are not going to know what that means. I could see an argument that, to some extent, explanation as to what the type of gun means could be included, but that's not to say that the media is inherently incorrect in simply saying the number of rifles, pistols, etc. 
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant;">

Okay, so a good portion of people aren't going to know what it means, but a good portion of people also aren't going to understand the significance or lack there of, of the amount of ammunition. Why not just state that pistols or rifles or whatever were seized along with ammunition?

Whale, I know you've been taught that "this is the way it's done" but the reality is that it intentionally omits relevant information. We're in the world of electronic media now where there's no need to fit a column into a column-sized space on paper. If the industry is going to stand on the grounds of "we report facts" then report them and let the readers determine if they're relevant or not.

It's like saying it's relevant to explain that the quarterback for the football team is out with an ACL injury rather than just a "knee injury" but it's not relevant to say .22 caliber AR-15 instead of "Assault Weapon."

Edited by tallen702 - 20 March 2013 at 1:23pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:25pm
It's like in my thread, the kid was holding a S&W MP15-22, a 22 AR.

Fox News called it a hunting rifle.
CBS or NBC may call it a Assault Weapon.
Truth is, it is a MP15-22

All three names are correct-sorta. It can be used for hunting, but its more of a plinker. People can call it an assault rifle, but it isn't full auto, it doesn't fire and intermediate cartridge, and NJ bans what they call an assault rifle anyway.

Saying "xxx number of riflesand xxx ammo" can be fear mongering. Because "a crusty old Soviet rifle and one can of ammunition" sounds significantly less "scary".
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 1:00pm

And others wonder when the trademarks of yellow journalism became the gold standard for responsibility in the media.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 2:04pm

And others wonder when the trademarks of yellow journalism became the gold standard for responsibility in the media.

paintbusta View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbusta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 9:23pm
nice
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:24pm

"Cops seize four .22LR bolt-action rifles, two .22LR revolvers, and one-thousand rounds of .22LR ammo from John Doe's house"

Because news is written for the average person to consume -- if this were a firearms trade magazine covering an incident, that would be acceptable. A very good portion of the public is not going to know what that means, and "two rifles" is plenty acceptable. 

Quote in the minimal facts fear-monger approach

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you, right?

Funny, because I didn't really know about these goings-on at all. I've been a bit out of the loop as far as current events go, too caught up with work and such.

If this trend of illegal raids continues happening, this is going to spiral out of control really quickly. I really do believe the government entities raiding the houses got fairly lucky. If people start thinking the government is going to raid their houses, all the "paranoid gun nuts" are going to get even more paranoid and someone - police or civilian - is going to get killed...
Right or wrong, many people in this country do have a "cold dead hands" mentality when it comes to guns.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 5:34pm
So, here's my question. This is from ABC News just yesterday:

Quote The 20-year-old shooter went to Sandy Hook Elementary school where he shot his way into the building and killed 20 children and six adults with a Bushmaster .223 caliber model XM15 rifle. The Bushmaster was loaded with a 30-round capacity magazine. Fourteen rounds were in the magazine when the Bushmaster was recovered by police. There was one round in the chamber.

The shooter took his own life with a single shot from a Glock 10 mm handgun. He also had a loaded 9mm Sig Sauer P226 handgun with him. He also had three magazines for the Bushmaster, each containing 30 rounds, and additional ammo for the handguns.

When the carnage was over, police counted 154 spent bullet casings.

Okay, relevant points highlighted. ABC did a good job saying what type of weapons. I'm cool with that so long as they do it all the time. They also point out how many mags and rounds there were. Which is interesting to me.

154 spent rounds, but the story only says that 4 magazines were recovered, so where are the rest of them? I'm pretty goddamned sure he didn't stop to load mags in the middle of his rampage.... The math doesn't add up. So is ABC trying to say that he only had 4 super-baby-killing mags? Or did they omit the part of the report that states how many empty mags they recovered, because, you know, that's a rather pertinent and relevant FACT that is worthy of being reported....

Edited by tallen702 - 29 March 2013 at 5:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic