Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new toy....tangled up in NY red tape.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new toy....tangled up in NY red tape.
    Posted: 16 March 2013 at 7:02am
I've managed to get my service pistol....sort of.

(Not actually her, but a good representation)

My father in law had a contact through S&W, and he was entitled to a discount since he'd taken an armorer's course through them. He very generously offered to make the purchase for me, then we'd do a transfer, thus saving me a boat load of money.

The dealer told him that thanks to NY's new gun laws, he wouldn't ship to my father in law, even if he was a LEO (NYPD) First we'd need someone with an FFL to take the purchase, then the guy backed out completely and decided he wasn't shipping to NY at ALL- not with 15 round mags.

He did however, point my father in law to a dealer in Queens who would give him the piece at the discounted rate.

My father in law called the other day, he's got it, picked it up with everything I need. My county told me all I needed to do was procure a 'bill of sale' from him, and the transfer would be done.

.....Except that now that's changed. The new laws state that there needs to be a background check performed by a licensed dealer because its a 'private sale.' So now, I need to contact a dealer, pay them money to do a background check, all to make a transfer of a firearm between family members.

I'm spending a maximum of 3 years working in NY, then its time to GTFO, this is insane.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:13am
Jeez dude. Nice blaster but that sucks!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:44am
Nice, I like the M&Ps
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:38pm
You only need 7 round mags anyway, dude.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:17am
I have one of those.  It's a great pistol. 
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

You only need 7 round mags anyway, dude.

Not yet. As of April 15th any 10 round magazine after that date of purchase is illegal. So Reb, you got what, 15-16 round magazines or 10? How do you feel about being allowed only to put 7 in it when on patrol? Comfy with that? Now let's take what Dandy Andy thinks, "Youse don't need 15 bullets ta stops a creeminil!", invest in plate carries, spare magazines and practice tac reloads my friend.

Edited by Ceesman762 - 17 March 2013 at 9:20am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:56pm
15 round, yeah.

Absolutely 0% of the LEOs I've come into contact with since the institution of this pecker-headed law are leading only 7 rounds in their magazines. I don't plan on being the first.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

15 round, yeah.

Absolutely 0% of the LEOs I've come into contact with since the institution of this pecker-headed law are leading only 7 rounds in their magazines. I don't plan on being the first.

Then I really hope that the DAs are all ready to lose a lot of cases on technicalities. By not limiting themselves to carrying 7 rounds in their magazines, the officers are committing a crime (felony?) in the performance of their duties thereby creating a miscarriage of justice in any arrest or other action they take.

To whit, I can't wait for the first person with enough smarts to point out to a judge that there is a crime being committed by every officer in the court room (most likely including the bailiff) while proceedings are taking place. That alone is enough to get a mistrial.

Just had this very conversation with a LEO and judge the other week down here in MD.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 2:48am
Buy a 1911 and not have that problem. :)

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 5:59am
^^^^ I like the way you think!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

^^^^ I like the way you think!

Me too, but since its not a 'department approved' firearm I can't use it in Phase II, and its a little large to carry as a backup.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic