FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buying (another) new car.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buying (another) new car.
    Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:16am
Well, as the natural progression of life goes... I got married and now we need to have another car.  I currently drive a 2010 mazda3 which is great, but small.  oh so small.  We went to carmax today so that we could drive a bunch of smaller SUVs... crv, rav-4, rogue, and even a big ol honda pilot.  Well, I think we found a winner with the Nissan Rogue.  It is the smallest of the bunch... which does worry me, but it had a lot more room compared to my mazda.  Well, we were all but sold on a 2012 model with 36k miles on it for 17995.  That is, until I looked at the local Nissan dealers and found one that had a 2012 clearance event that's offering no payments for 90 days and 5 year 0% interest... with brand spanking new rogues that are equally equipped to the used one for $21000.  3 grand more for a car that will have its full warranty and free financing... yes please.  

I do wish we could wait a bit more and get something a lot bigger such as a highlander, pilot, or something similar, but we really need a car now so we have to settle with something inside our budget and not racked up with a ton of mileage.  

We knew that we needed to buy a car, and were planning on it, but it was a spur of the moment decision to even go to carmax, and now we're planning on going to a dealer tomorrow to purchase a vehicle... Needless to say I'm a tad bit nervous.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 3:26am
Big fan of Nissan. Good luck with your purchase.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 3:37am
So who is getting the Nissan?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:45am
It's sort of undecided yet.  It's truly going to be both of ours.  The shorter commute will probably take the Nissan.  Funny enough, the hospital I work at is only a mile and a half down the road and her job is no more than 5 miles away.  

Anyway, dealer opens in 15 minutes... wish me luck!
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:51am
Personally, i'd walk the mile and a half to work and save the 25 grand.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:17pm
1) carmax sucks
2) dealerships suck, but not as much as carmax
3) nissans are cool
4) mazda3 may be small, but you can pack a ton into those if you know how

Why do you need a bigger car?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:15am
I went through college in a variety of ford Focuses and never had a problem moving between dorms and home.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:14am
Yep. I have a scion tc and I use that to move between Texas and Indiana for college and it fit basically everything. I would hope you aren't buying a bigger car for moving purposes because renting a truck would be smarter. I only see big cars necessary if you are constantly using it for its purpose.

Are we possibly expecting a tiny pcf?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:24am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Are we possibly expecting a tiny pcf?

That's what it sounds like to me.

WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:40am
Not at the moment... but down the road there will be children.  

Size was really an issue mostly because of having people in the car.  The mazda's back seat is awful for adults.  In terms of walking to work... I have a super cheap-o honda spree moped that I'll be riding once it warms up.  

Main reason for buying a new car was the fact that having 2 cars is necessary.  We usually work opposite hours but not so opposite that we could just switch off, and she works retail, so lots of weekends.  So instead of throwing money away riding the bus, or trying to plan my days around picking her up... I'd rather find a good deal on a new car that has the capacity to more easily haul camping gear, coolers, and what not without taking up passenger space.  Not to mention buying furniture or say... a dishwasher and having to call a friend with a truck or paying for delivery.  

Anyway, we got the vehicle, but of course it was a bit more hassle than anticipated.  To get the 0% we had to give up a $2000 rebate, so we opted to find out what kind of rate we'd get through Nissan.  That hasn't happened yet because they were super busy so they let us take the car home and we'll fill out the paperwork Wednesday when we can both go back.  On the bright side, I know I can walk into my credit union and get a great interest rate, so I'm going to go there Monday to get things squared away just in case Nissan decides to throw me a crappy rate.  Either way, we got a good price on the car and they only had one 2012 rogue left so we got a bit lucky as well.  I just can't wait to get it all over with on Wednesday.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 9:22pm
I bet your credit union can beat Nissan's financing by nearly 2 points.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:39pm
I picked up a 2001 Chevy 2500 for $5k a couple months back.
I live close to work so gas is no big deal, and the capacity for whatever you need is huge. Plus, when I get the extra money for one I have something to haul a boat.
Since you said you already have other cars for daily use, you could consider getting a slightly older pickup for recreational purposes.
Private sellers are the way to go. Slightly more time involved, but I've always come away with great deals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic