FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reb and USAF:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reb and USAF:
    Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:41pm
Do everyone a favor when you get out of Academy. Make sure your EO Tech sights are mounted in the proper direction before getting your picture taken during a shooting response. That goes doubly for you Reb since the boys in NY certainly can't get it right:

Also, bad trigger discipline on baldy in #2
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 12:13am
Those are not Eotechs. Those are sight mark red dots.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 4:42am
Battery unit looks thicker than the projector unit on the Sightmarks.

I'd go with Eotech as the rear iron is up.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 7:34am
They uh....they won't let us use that stuff anyway, so no worries.

Albany's new resolution is going to make sure that if we do anything more than sternly shout at anyone, we're to be subjected to civil and criminal litigation.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Albany's new resolution is going to make sure that if we do anything more than sternly shout at anyone, we're to be subjected to civil and criminal litigation.

And next thing you know, they're going to require you to have a permit and 16 hours of classroom training to handle your new "sidearm."
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

And next thing you know, they're going to require you to have a permit and 16 hours of classroom training to handle your new "sidearm."

If that wasn't a distinct possibility, it would be funny.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:05am
And this is what happens when DHS hands small departments lots of funds. So they too can be like their big brothers.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:19am
Heard someone say on another forum that the guys in camo are conservation officers?

KBK
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Heard someone say on another forum that the guys in camo are conservation officers?

KBK

Yup! Sure are!

Tell me Kayback, do the RSA park rangers run around wearing camo and riding in Humvees with M4's and all types of goodies? I'm guessing not....
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:16pm
They would if they could.

I know the SANPARKS in the Kruger area has a walk n safe with 200 full auto R1 rifles in it.

Rhino Wars

Just saying.....

They also run UAV's when they can. Click image.

Edited by Kayback - 14 March 2013 at 3:22pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:49pm

I know the SANPARKS in the Kruger area has a walk n safe with 200 full auto R1 rifles in it.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be in my bunk.......

edit:

Also, why the hell would you ever trade those magnificent pieces of full-power Belgian engineering genius for wimpy .223 and a dirty direct impingement system?

Edited by tallen702 - 14 March 2013 at 3:51pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 1:58am
That was thanks to the interference of government. Speaking of SANPARKS itself, when the Gubbermint did an overhaul of the firearm licensing system they copy and pasted things from the security guard technical standards into the park ranger book. Literally. Rangers needed to be able to place 2 COM hits on a man sized target in 4 seconds at 100m or something useful like that. And it pretty much mandated 5.56mm.

Real useful for stopping a charging buffalo at 5m in thick bush......

They then donated all the old ex SANDF R1's to the South African National Parks Service. Good planning that one. So all the useful things like 375's were replaced with 5.56mm R4/R5's and they got a shipment of R1's. Next they're shipping snow shoes to the guys based in the Kalahari.

The R1's are being used more and more by the anti poaching units because they are simply more useful than the R4/R5's over longer range and in heavier bush. Quite a few "normal" rangers carry them s well as they are better big/dangerous game guns, and you never know when you'll come across a poacher.

Incidentally, the R4/R5 is a long piston system, not a DI system.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 7:45am

That was thanks to the interference of government. Speaking of SANPARKS itself, when the Gubbermint did an overhaul of the firearm licensing system they copy and pasted things from the security guard technical standards into the park ranger book. Literally. Rangers needed to be able to place 2 COM hits on a man sized target in 4 seconds at 100m or something useful like that. And it pretty much mandated 5.56mm.

Real useful for stopping a charging buffalo at 5m in thick bush......

They then donated all the old ex SANDF R1's to the South African National Parks Service. Good planning that one. So all the useful things like 375's were replaced with 5.56mm R4/R5's and they got a shipment of R1's. Next they're shipping snow shoes to the guys based in the Kalahari.

The R1's are being used more and more by the anti poaching units because they are simply more useful than the R4/R5's over longer range and in heavier bush. Quite a few "normal" rangers carry them s well as they are better big/dangerous game guns, and you never know when you'll come across a poacher.

Incidentally, the R4/R5 is a long piston system, not a DI system.

It's interesting to me that so many foreign adopters of the AR platform have gone to piston operation. I know our own problems over here in the early days were caused by the wrong type of powder being used, causing it to get much more dirty when firing, but just about everyone these days who shoots stateside can tell you that you can throw thousands of rounds down range without cleaning and never have a failure. Although, most of our ARs don't see continuous use in the environment that the game wardens and park police in the RSA would expose them to, so piston makes sense there.

I would think that both the rangers and SANPARKS guys would want to operate mixed. At least one guy with a full-auto R1 and then the others with R4/R5s. That way you'd be prepared for whatever you came up against. Dealing with poachers? The R4/5s are going to be great, and having that R1 will give you the heavy power you need to take out materiel like a truck, jeep, etc. Come across a rabid cape buffalo? Bring that R1 up!

At the very least, give some guys the R4/5's with 7.62 uppers!

I'm really tempted to kill my credit card for the next 3 months and buy this: http://gunthings.com/falkits.htm

That way I'd get the proper bipod, carry handle, wood furniture, etc. Of course, that's almost R6,000.00 but Gawd is she secksi!
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

And this is what happens when DHS hands small departments lots of funds. So they too can be like their big brothers.

This is cute, but that's not what happens- not near here anyway.

We're so strapped for funds that a few years back a private citizen donated money so the department could upgrade their service pistols.

We have two shotguns, and it actually made the newspaper when someone donated to us a cuffing bench so we didn't have to use the filing cabinet anymore.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 11:03am

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

This is cute, but that's not what happens- not near here anyway.

We're so strapped for funds that a few years back a private citizen donated money so the department could upgrade their service pistols.

We have two shotguns, and it actually made the newspaper when someone donated to us a cuffing bench so we didn't have to use the filing cabinet anymore.

That tells me one thing, and one thing only. Your department need someone who knows how to write a grant application.....
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 12:13pm
I wanted to hope it was a SightMark and that all was well, but this shot..

http://thisainthell.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/herkimer3.jpg

Is bigger and shows EOTech clearly as well as the buttons.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 4:59pm
Eish! That's pretty damming. No wonder his backup iron sight is deployed. :(

KBK
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

I wanted to hope it was a SightMark and that all was well, but this shot..<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant;">
http://thisainthell.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/herkimer3.jpg

Is bigger and shows EOTech clearly as well as the buttons.

Yeah, I used the re-sized version so it wouldn't bork the board. We had a pretty dragged out fight about it on FARK until someone grabbed that some zoomed shot in high rez.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic