FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cops Ticket cams struck down in Ohio!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cops Ticket cams struck down in Ohio!
    Posted: 13 March 2013 at 12:23pm
So, we have a few towns (one I have to drive through TWICE a day at least) that have installed speeder cams. If you speed, they mail you a ticket for $105. 

A bunch of my players at my field have gotten the tickets... One on the way their and one on the way home... As the speed limit goes from 55 to 35, then back up to 45 after the cameras...

So a judge ruled on another town in Cincy with the same company! He called it a scam, "three card monte". 

So yeah, bought time, I'm sure this will affect other states soon. 

And speaking of your rights, and the state trampling them. Check out this story... 

Unbelievable... This happened 4 days ago, when will the national media cover that?... 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 13 March 2013 at 12:25pm
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 12:41pm
They'll just do what they did in MD. Signs before the camera saying "photo enforced" and then calibrate every day.

I still think that there is no legally definable just cause to speed cameras. At least with a human being pointing the LiDAR gun at you, they are making the conscious decision of "hey, I think THAT guy is speeding."
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 12:57pm
I'm pretty sure a cop trying to find speeders will be clocking as many people as possible. I'm not against speed cameras. Why? Because I don't speed enough for it to affect me. I do think that they should be well inside a speed limit zone and not right at the beginning or end where people are adjusting. It's also really frightening going to a road where people are regularly going 15 over the limit like in Chicago. It becomes a huge danger when there are people that refuse to go over the limit.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 1:22pm
They had it set to ONE mile per hour faster than the speed limit... So if you went 36 in a 35 you got a ticket...

The one down the street from me is set at 11 miles over the limit before it sends a ticket, but they can change it at any time. 

In Middletown, they have red light cams, if you are in the intersection after the light changes, they mail you a ticket, even if you are legally there... (ohio law your rear tires must be past the white line before the light turns red, then you have a legal right to leave the intersection as long as you yield to traffic). 

The traffic speeding cams used are run by a company, and it doesn't go on your license as it isn't a normal ticket... You can't contest it... Half the cost of the fine goes to the COMPANY that makes the machine, the other half to the city running it... They are mobile, and can be moved at any time. 

Hamilton has a SUV that they move all over town... It has high speed cameras inside. 

I've never gotten a ticket, but it is clearly just a money making scam... Locals are ticked off about them, and I would bet city councils in these areas will not be re-elected because of these cameras. They were installed right before Christmas... I saw the officer installing the "photo enforced" signs when they put them up...

This judge threw it out, so as of right now, you can pitch your ticket, and all the people in the original lawsuit (only 12 or so got refunds...) Any active ticket is now null and void in that town... 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 1:33pm
The biggest danger comes with people speeding, then noticing the camera at the last second and slamming on the breaks trying to slow down in time.  It's especially bad over here where cops won't pull you over for speeding (passed one today doing 25kph over, didn't seem to notice/care) but they use cameras religiously.  It also doesn't help that people drive 100mph+ 6 inches from the car in front of them.  I have a program on my GPS that warns me whenever I am coming up to one, which comes in handy.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 1:33pm
I just read your article. Yep they are doing it completely wrong.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 1:45pm
What gets me goat are the people who think a camera in a 100kph zone needs to be driven past at 80kph.

Seriously? The heck with that.

But yeah, the calibration issue is the easiest thing to fight them on. At least our fines are still through the government.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 2:42pm
Yeah, I still got it... 

Second story I linked I sent to Drudge, it is now on the front page! 

http://drudgereport.com/

I wonder if the national media will ever cover that... nahh... 

Taking guns away from people and arresting them for reciting the constitution is so "tea partyish" that clearly this lady should be locked up forever... And she homeschools... better take her kids away too!
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 5:59pm
I can see how reconfiguring speed zones into a trap would get struck down.

I do not, however, understand how you think speed cameras are some constitutional infringement. Don't speed, don't get a ticket. Seems pretty simple to me. I'd be interested to hear a constitutional argument from your side, if you can keep it civil and not try to preach to me.

Besides, aren't most car speedometers set to show the higher edge of your speed? Because I know enforcement apparatuses(in NC at least) give you the benefit of the doubt.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 6:49pm
I thought if you weren't breaking the law you had nothing to hide...
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 8:55pm
35 45 55. sounds like you're driving through delaware. (ohio)
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:10am

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:47am
I have no problem with speed trap cameras so long as they are situated in places for traffic calming and not revenue generation.

There is a stretch near my house where the limit is 120kph, on a 3 lane dual carriage way. It then drops down to 80kph for a stretch of about 200m where NOTHING is different and then goes back up and it has a permanent camera there. That isn't trying to prevent accidents or anything. It is there simply to get people who don't obey what is a totally arbitrary speed limit change.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:54am
To obtain registration on a vehicle, we should be required to have GPS/ black boxes on our vehicles. If someone speeds, the GPS will register and send the owner a ticket in the mail. Repeat offenders vehicles will have governors, preventing any chance of speeding. Dash cams, and cameras in the back are highly encouraged also. A camera mounted in the passenger compartment would also be nice. With GPS, data recorders, and mounted cameras, we can drastically save peoples lives.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:18am
^and make basically everyone hate the government. Especially for those times when you speed without realizing it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

To obtain registration on a vehicle, we should be required to have GPS/ black boxes on our vehicles. If someone speeds, the GPS will register and send the owner a ticket in the mail. Repeat offenders vehicles will have governors, preventing any chance of speeding. Dash cams, and cameras in the back are highly encouraged also. A camera mounted in the passenger compartment would also be nice. With GPS, data recorders, and mounted cameras, we can drastically save peoples lives.

You are like, 50% of the reason the Libertarian party won't get my vote in the next election.

Between you with the Lib party and FE with the Republican party, I might have to sit 2016 out.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You are like, 50% of the reason the Libertarian party won't get my vote in the next election.

Between you with the Lib party and FE with the Republican party, I might have to sit 2016 out.

You know he was being facetious right? Overly vociferous for the reason of pointing to extremely unreasonable laws being proposed in other areas....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You know he was being facetious right? Overly vociferous for the reason of pointing to extremely unreasonable laws being proposed in other areas....

But all of his posts are like this. As if everything that occurs in America is one big scheme to turn us into an Orwellian society. 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 6:41pm
And that is the problem with America today.  Everything gets blown out of proportion and people on both sides feed off of the idiocy of each other and run with it which leads to extremes becoming extremer and politicians catering to the sides that are becoming increasingly divided.  Our representatives whom were elected to lead us are following the LCD of whichever side they are on, instead of taking charge and getting things done.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic