FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I played golf today...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 1:46am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

I get clubs at the thrift store. 

And what Choop said.

I'd a dead shot at anything under 70 yards. I can chip and putt like a pro. I can drive like a woman, on an icy road, in a Skoda, after half a dozen Mai Tai's.

We passed the time on one of our courses by spending the afternoons on a driving range, with clubs bought at a pawn style shop. IIRC $10 was the most we spent on a club. Fun Fun Fun.

I also enjoy Putt Putt. (miniature golf to you guys).

Actual golf? I'll be in the club house.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 3:53am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I'm wrong-handed at golf and baseball (but I'm right-hand dominant, strangely enough), so thrift store or pawn shop complete sets are hard for me to come by out here. Like I said, I'm happy with my $100 set of Wilsons. :)

I'm the same way. Very right handed, but play racket/ stick/ bat/ club sports left handed.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

I know it as putt-putt first and mini-golf second actually.

Big chain in the US south-east is "Putt Putt." They usually have the game, go-kart tracks, lazer tag, and a huge arcade at their locations.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:31am
I hook and slice like no other.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  I'm one of those people that if I can't get a decent handle on a game or sport in a relatively short period of time, I'm done.  Golf is too infuriating.  I can land a ball on any fairway but the one I'm playing on.  In the end, I have to remind myself that golf spelled backwards is 'flog'.  That is more appropriate for me as that is what I end up doing to the ball...
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

I know it as putt-putt first and mini-golf second actually.

Big chain in the US south-east is "Putt Putt." They usually have the game, go-kart tracks, lazer tag, and a huge arcade at their locations.

im terrible at golf most of the time.

im also the type of person that has to yell fore playing putt putt. thos putters just get so much range.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 3:31pm
My first set of clubs was $40 Craigslist buy.  A set of Sam Sneeds from the 50's best I can tell.  The woods were actually made of wood.  
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 3:20am
I got mine as hand-me-downs from my grandpa.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 9:25pm
I used to be pretty good at golf when I was in highschool. I even managed a hole in one on a par 4 once (though that was more luck than anything).

It's hard to stay in practice when it's at least $30 each time you play.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:52am
I actually enjoyed playing, but it takes a LONG time to really get decent at it and I found it hard to find time to play. Most of the guys I played with always played during the week when us normal people are supposed to be working. Plus the schizophrenic weather here made it a crap shoot. I can see the appeal though of 4-5 hours out in the fresh air drinking beer with your friends and driving around on golf carts.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
niick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote niick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

...And really enjoyed it. 

Did my first 18-hole course. I didn't embarrass myself, I had fun, and I want to do it again.

Just thought you guys should know. Carry on with your lives.

NICE!!

I used to play to,but i don't really have much time for that right now with all that stuff that is going on. My work is killing me :D.....My brother is really into it, he even signed up for something like a golf classes with an expert <sales link removed-forum rules violation>

So how fast was your swing speed? You probably have no clue what that is :P

Edited by Mack - 19 May 2013 at 2:07pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 3:47pm
Since this thread is back... I played on our company team at the brigade golf scramble last weekend. We took 4th out of 25 at -10. I bought a set of clubs from a Craigslist style site for 70$. Came with a full set of Taylor made irons and a driver, 3wood purer and bag. Pretty good deal I think but I have plans to upgrade everything already. Mostly just to get clubs that fit me.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 5:55pm
If there is a club fitter near you, just go get everything re-shafted.  It'll be cheaper in some cases, and more importantly, you'll get something that fits you just right if you go to a fitter.  They will also analyze your swing speed and get you properly fitted for shaft flex.

Its worth it assuming the set is newer Taylormades (read: anything made in the last ~8 years should still be pretty relevant; not too many significant golf science advances since the 460cc driver became standard).  I would probably just look for new clubs if they're older and replace your current ones as needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic