FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So...about North Korea.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So...about North Korea.
    Posted: 09 March 2013 at 7:08pm
Is it just me, or have they completely lost their mind?

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2013/201303/news08/20130308-01ee.html
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 7:21pm
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 10:30pm
North Korea has nukes, and threatens to use them. Iraq denied having WMD's and never threatened anyone. North Korea, you are lucky you aren't a oil producer, and threatened to quit using the Federal Reserve Note for trade in oil. That will get your country invaded and dictator killed in no time. Which has happened with the current administration, who originally ran under a peace campaign.

What I was thinking about the situation.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:02am
I get the feeling that foreigners are paying much more attention than the average South Korean, and the US is more concerned about getting hit with an ICBM the North may not have than here, where a sufficiently large trebuchet would be an effective delivery system. There's some low-level prepping that's obvious (testing the klaxon)but I don't think most people will be concerned unless the government tells them to be, they're too busy to worry about the North. It's not a subject that comes up often, unless they're making jokes about Kim Jung Un, but the few conversations I have had with Koreans about it got them pretty upset about what the regime is doing to the people in the North, it's just too miserable to think about. We send teachers out to the Islands, and I guess we had a few on Yeonpyeong who were out of contact for a day last time things got stupid, and ended up filling the dorms at school with kids who got evacuated. We're kind of expected to shut up and go to work unless told otherwise, so between the foreign teachers there's some discussion about making bug-out plans, a few have bags packed, passports ready.

Kim Jung Un is such an unknown factor it's hard to have a clue what's going on up there, if he can really control the military effectively, and how they will react to China slapping them, which is certainly going to effect their calculations majorly, one way or another. Usually they do something stupid to test new presidents down here. Un likes to make some fairly big gestures, and I get the distinct feeling that he wants to be more like his grandfather than his father. Park's election brings those old times back into focus quite a bit. They've apparently cut the hotline, which is an extremely stupid thing to do considering the new ROI the ROK forces have since the Cheonyan and Yeonpyeong incidents, things could go wrong quite quickly. When the test comes, and I'm convinced they will throw a fairly dramatic one at Park, here's hoping it's somewhere remote considering that my apartment faces North and is in range of a 155mm. My guess is there will be some sort of retaliation after the exercises down here are done.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:19am
Oh, and I'm not allowed to access the original link here. Cool. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:12am
So the heat has been turned up by both sides since this was on the front page. My bank didn't get hacked, some of my adult students had problems with theirs, most everything seems back to normal now. The highly visible B-52 flight was big news here, coming shortly after many news sites were discussing the idea of the ROK also going nuclear (it has about 60% approval here) and would be fairly easy for this country to do, especially with some, errrrmm..."outside consultation". I see that more as a move to reassure the South that the US nuclear umbrella is reliable and to help keep them from kicking off a greater East-Asian arms race. NK is trying to talk and act like a big-boy nuclear power, and yet freaks out when they get nuke subs parked off their coast and BUFFs coming at them and turning. Welcome to 1960 idiots.

Not sure how I feel about validating their threats by treating them like a serious nuclear power, but the ROK is tiny, densely populated and not far away, you don't need a good bomb or missile to reach us and do damage, it's not Cuba in 1962, but NK is at about DEFCON 2 equivalent, and we've recently made it clear that the US will readily respond with force to even small-scale actions against the ROK. Park is discussing sending some token food supplies and ignoring nuke progress as a precondition. Foal Eagle is ongoing, so it's hard to tell if the troops look more ready than usual. Lots of additional helicopter and truck traffic, random checkpoints and soldiers doing night drills. The latest propaganda videos from the DPRK have some of the foreigners kinda freaked out, since it seems that the objective to a major (imagined) incursion would be to blitz in and take as many US citizens prisoner as possible for leverage. That or Kim Jung Un finally saw the new Red Dawn movie.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 4:54pm
ROK and US joint maneuvers are starting soon, probably the reason for all the traffic. What's more, we just signed a deal with the ROK saying that any act of provokation, even shelling or landing on un-inhabited islands which are territory of the ROK would result in swift and bi-lateral strikes by the ROK and US with the ROK in the lead. In short, the joint forces have declared loud and clear to the DPRK that ANY sabre rattling beyond the vocal type will not be tolerated and will result in swift and deadly justice.

Kim Jong-Un is the new guy in town and hasn't had the benefit of seeing what kind of unholy crap-storm will descend upon his tiny, under-fed nation should he actually fire shots. His father and grandfather both learned that we can push you right across the border and into China, but this time, China isn't going to come to their aid. They've gotten to the point that they'd rather have open and friendly relations with the ROK (who have a lot of money and don't mind going into debt up to their eyebrows to buy stuff) than continue to prop up a non-prosperous dynastic dictatorship who never pays them with legit currency.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:22am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 8:30pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 8:53pm
that's great
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 12:01am
Love it!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 4:26am

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:01pm
God I lol'd.

WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic