FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This makes my blood boil...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This makes my blood boil...
    Posted: 03 March 2013 at 1:25pm
Nurse refuses to do CPR at a retirement home after the 911 dispatcher begs her to help an old lady that collapsed and nearly stopped breathing. The nurse refused because it is "against policy" to resuscitate. The old lady died later after reaching the hospital.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 4:13pm
I kept thinking throughout the video that perhaps the lady had signed a DNR or something, but that statement at the end made it sound like this is just generic policy.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 4:14pm
Wow, that's not even what their protocol says to do. Their protocol outlines a minimum, not maximum of assistance, that they need to call 911 and wait with them for assistance. Doesn't say anything about that being all they're allowed to do.... just seriously messed up. And I don't know about you, I'd like to think I'd get fired to save a life.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Wow, that's not even what their protocol says to do. Their protocol outlines a minimum, not maximum of assistance, that they need to call 911 and wait with them for assistance. Doesn't say anything about that being all they're allowed to do.... just seriously messed up. And I don't know about you, I'd like to think I'd get fired to save a life.

You'd be surprised at strange policies at play in hospitals

I watched a knockdown dragout fight between nurses over a patient who called 911 in the parking lot of our ER.

Hospital policy and state law dictated that ER staff could not transport a patient from the parking lot. This guy was unconscious in his truck and the nursing supervisor was afraid that, were he already dead / dying, the family would file a lawsuit on the staff involved for improperly transporting a patient. To clarify, EMT'd are equipped with mobile life saving measures that the ER does not have-so the nurses and doctors could only provide a stretcher and basic lifesaving measures versus a fully stocked ambulance.

So the official ruling was to wait on ambulance. The sup told nursing staff that they were not to go out into the parking lot and get the patient.

One of the male nurses literally told the sup to go eff herself and grabbed a stretcher and an admissions staff (by that I mean me) to go look for the patient.

By the time we got outside an ambulance just happened to be pulling up and it turned out the guy was in shock from his blood sugar. They fixed him up, but barely in time.

I didn't get in trouble because clerical staff tends to push liability back to medicql staff, but the nurse involved received disciplinary action and very nearly lost his job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic