FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to ZoomCam! Build your own video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to ZoomCam! Build your own video
    Posted: 03 March 2013 at 11:19am
So as you guys know, I've been filming paintball for a long time, I've tried all different kinds of camera systems, with the goal of being able to show the viewer at home, my kills in a first person perspective. As I felt that paintball presented in a first person shooter method could really blow up from the exposure available online with video. IF it was filmed correctly. 

Jjrons "sniper" video proved that thought as his video got well over a million views as the viewers at home could SEE the hits! 

Well, I think my system is finally ready for others to use, so I made a video that talks about how to film paintball, and how to build your own ZoomCam system.

If you have any questions on this system I developed, just ask, and I would be glad to help. 

Here is footage of this system in action from my last event on 2.23.13. I was able to capture all of my kills on video on that day! All I did was turn it on before each game and the record button! It is positioned so that short OR long range hits will be captured on film. I can then lay my Contour roam track in editing on the first channel, and my ZoomCam track in my second video channel, and line them up (using the audio) and bam, I can switch back and forth between the cameras, and show the viewers at home what I am shooting at, and they can see for themselves if I hit the other players or not! 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 03 March 2013 at 11:21am
They tremble at my name...
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 2:03pm
Have you tried any of the go pro cameras? I just think that would be entirely to bulky for me to enjoy playing with.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 4:54pm
He already said he doesn't like gopros because you can't zoom with them, making it basically pointless for his application. I've used a gopro mounted on my barrel before. It's great to see where you are shooting at and you can see the ball fly towards other players, but you can't get good close up shots of actual breaks. It works great as a POV though.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 11:36pm
I heard him say he used action cams, and the ones he showed did not appear to be of the go pro variety. Then he stated that when he zooms in on the shot it gets pixelated. So I was asking a question more so in wondering if the go pro would be better because it shoots higher quality video and wouldn't pixelate as badly. I know very little about video.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 9:08am
Gotcha. I don't know the specs on his camera, but a similar camera, the replay, had basically the exact same quality as the gopro. Also for his application as someone that still wants to play, a slim camera is better suited for playing paintball as it is a lesser target. I like my gopro, but honestly, it's not near as great as the commercials unless you are very good at editing. Their super crisp panorama style videos are sped up pictures and not film. Looking at the hero 2 promo, I believe some super slomotion shots are pictures and video overlapped. This is because going to 120fps is crappy VGA quality.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 11:48am
All action cams are similar in what they can pick up. And that is action right around your body... Paintball is played at distances that just can't be captured with action cams, as most shots are around 100 feet away. And an action cam (even the go pro 3) won't be able to see what is happening at that distance. 

Here is one of my friends videos from that same event, using his Go pro 3. 

It works great for stuff right around the player, but you can't see where his paint is going or who he is shooting at. 

So you need Zoom for paintball. I still use a small action cam for the majority of my filming, as that way you can see what I am doing and where I am going. But, when I fire, I switch to a zoomed in camera so the viewer at home can SEE who I am shooting at, and if I hit them or not. 

That is the key to good video, as no one likes to watch a paintball video where you have no clue who or what they are shooting at, because you can't see anything far away...

The more players that realize this fact, then they too will start looking for ways to truly capture what they see on film, and they will go to a zoom type system for their gun cam. As it makes sense if you want to be able to show others your actual hits. 

I like the Contour because it is a LOT smaller, mounts easily without having to buy other mounting pieces, and has a slide switch to turn it on, so you don't have to mess with buttons, because buttons and gloves are a bad mix... Also, the Go pro 3 has lots of problems. My friends have two of them, and one totally locked up while we were playing so he only had footage from the first two games... That is no fun...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 11:49am
Here is a video I made that shows you what I am talking about, and why Zoom is so important for paintball.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 11:55am
Ya I've had weird cuts on my hero 2. I believe I still had all the footage, it just split them completely randomly and were stored as completely different numbers so when I was watching my paintball footage, all of a sudden the clip ended while the game was still going. Turned out much later in another clip, the footage continued. They have some odd software issues from time to time and it doesn't seem like they fix software before sending it out. I know the 3D software took forever to come out even though the 3D housing was already available.

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 7:51pm
I don't get why zoom is so important for paintball.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

Seeing the shots, especially the long range ones, hit their mark. Standard fixed point of view cam footage of paintball is boring, but when you can zoom to see the rounds impacting? That's pretty interesting/entertaining.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 8:51pm
Also, on video, FE and I sound eerily alike....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 10:04pm
^^^ It's not just video.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

Well, here is footage from one of my recent events. And if I only had the action cam you would only see me running around and firing at... nothing... So most paintball first person shooter videos the guy editing writes on the screen comments about what you can't see...

But, with the ZoomCam, you (the viewer at home) can SEE what I am shooting at!

The entire goal, is so the viewer at home feels like it is THEM playing, because if you can capture it in a way where the viewer feels like THEY are playing, then it will get their adrenalin rushing, and they will likely try paintball as it looks like fun! (well, that is what I hope to be able to do with a system like this...)

I'm considering doing a full length outlaw woodsball episode type video... This wouldn't be about regular paintball at a field, but the type of paintball that I play, out in my backyard with friends, or other places I play for free... There have been quite a few "shows" about speedball, or about regular paintball. But, nothing for the guys like me that play outlaw at a friends house. I have hours of already edited footage to pull from, and I could do shows on specific things, to help other people start fields like mine, and talk about things that matter to outlaw guys...

Do you guys think their might be interest in a 30 minute show like that? It wouldn't be me sitting there talking for 30 minutes... ugh. 

But, a short clip of me talking about something, then a video package of a game showing that. Then another segment of me talking, then more video footage. Interspersed with cool footage I've captured through my years of filming...

I'm just brainstorming at this point, but curious if there would be interest in a show like that?

(oh and Tallen talks (and types) like an old geezer! heh, heh!)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic