FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help me build a M16A1 inspired AR15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help me build a M16A1 inspired AR15
    Posted: 22 February 2013 at 10:10pm
I nabbed a LBR lower reciever online for $175 (eesh) and I decided I want to build a M16A1 clone. Thing is, this is my first AR15 and I really don't know what I am doing. I decided I want to go with an A1 upper and triangle handguards, while trying to keep everything authentic.  My first thought is to go with a parts kit:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1143546

But I will need to modify some of the FA parts that come with it so I don't mess with Johnny Law. I hear it ain't fun. At the same time, I am looking at $600 and I still need an upper.  I also need to have it shipped to someone in PA so they can get the free magazine from me. 

I'm wondering if its worth it to build it piece by piece. I can buy a Colt upper for $200, furniture for $80, BCG for $150-250, buffer and assembly for $30,  LPK for $50, then stupid things like handguard caps and gas tube. I can also buy this one piece at a time so I don't deplete my bank account quickly.
THEN I STILL NEED A BARREL!

thoughts?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 7:47am
I have a prong/trident flash suppressor, triangle hand guard, original pistol grip, pencil barrel and the barrel hardware.

**oh, clear your inbox ya noob.

Edited by Ceesman762 - 23 February 2013 at 7:50am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 2:11pm
My inbox is 52% full. I'll clear some space anyway. If you tried to PM me and it gave you that stupid message saying it's full, that's weird.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 2:51pm
Still getting it, PM me.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 2:57pm
Sent
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 3:00pm
check your email
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 1:51am
Little update.

I now have a complete AR sans BCG. I have everything I need mostly, and only need to so some work. All parts are USGI except the lower and LPK so far.

One problem though. A1s were anodized a nice gray while my lower was anodized black. It irritated me to no end having a gray upper. So I decided to color match the upper with engine paint, because I didn't want to deal with hazmat shipping on real gun paint. The results:

Apparently my galaxy doesn't like the forum. I'll update tomorrow

Edited by SSOK - 17 April 2013 at 1:56am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 10:42am
Looks good. Post more picts when you have the hardware I gave you mounted.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:31am
I hate the lower! I need to repaint it again. I would like to re-anno it but I dont want to wait six months. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:40am
What about having it parkerized?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 12:23pm
I don't believe you can parkerize aluminum. I think you're stuck with anno or paint. Otherwise I'd do it at home.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 1:13pm
Krylon camouflage! 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 2:35pm
Rhino line it
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:27pm
So... I stripped the silver paint on the lower with some gas and brushes. Clean, prep, and paint again with dark gray primer and then coat with matte clear. ITS THE SAME EXACT COLOR AS THE STOCK ANNODIZING I PAINTED OVER!

It's time for me to buy a can of Brownells Alumahyde for $26..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 8:45am
Well, you  will have had a learning experience after building this!
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic