FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My kid cut her head open.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 12:41pm
Might be a long one, and not sure who really even comes around to read these anymore, but thought I would share.

Back in September of last year my family and I were attending an away game for our HS football team. My daughter is a cheerleader and my wife is the cheer coach, so we pretty much go to all the games. At one point, I notice one of my younger daughters playing under the bleachers and tell her to get out from under them and not to play there anymore. Well as kids often do, she didn't listen too well and about 10 minutes later I see her walking up the sidewalk holding her head. As she gets closer I can see that there is blood. Long story short, she had about a 3 inch slice across the top of her scalp, defintely not something that is going to be able to put a butterfly bandage on and call a day.

There is always an ambulance at football games, so we take her to the ambulance to have the EMTs have a quick look and they confirm that she needs to get it stitched up and they can take her if we want. Now, as a kid I did a fair amount of stupid crap and ended up in the ER a number of times. My mother or grandmother always took me and never had an issue. The hospital was only 10 minutes way, so my plan was to ask them for some bandages, have my wife keep pressure on it and drive my daughter to the hospital. The ambulance people said it really wasnt and problem for them to take her and it might be better off since they could keep an eye out in case she went into shock. The driver and one of the EMTs even took me aside and said if I was worried about the cost, to just ignore the bills when they came. They explained that they were a volunteer dept and only did "soft billing". Essentially I would be sent a couple of bills and when they came back unpaid would get written off. I reluctantly agreed and off they went with me following right behind them. We arrived at the exact same time and they did not run with lights or anything.

Well, after sitting in the ER for neary 5 hours, my daughter finally got 7 staples and was discharged. Now the fun begins.

We did have insurance, so a fairly large portion of the bills were actually paid for by insurance. However, even after all was said and done, the portion due to us was nearly $1k out of pocket. And again, this is with a pretty decent insurance plan. I saw what the bills would have been without insurance and. just. wow! To add insult to injury, we have now received the 5th bill from the ambulance service for an oustanding balance of about $375. This is after the insurance company paid nearly $200! And they haven't stopped billing us after a couple of attempts. Tried calling the fire department, but can't reach anyone. My wife was also there as an employee, so we spoke with the school superintendent and asked about whether the school carries a policy to help with such expenses. He told her that if our insurance didnt cover it that he would call the other school and discuss it with them to see what they could do. Yeah, now he is totally backing off of this and saying we can contact them if we want, but that most likely they wont do anything because schools have some sort of exemption from liability when it comes to such things as people getting hurt on school grounds.

At this point, we do have a call into the other school asking what they can do and are wating on a call back. I am still trying to contact the fire department to speak with someone about why they would tell me to ignore the bills only to have a billing agency start to contact me now.

And what I am still absolutely astonished at is the fact that for a 3 inch cut and 7 stitches, the overall cost would have been close to $3k if we didnt have some sort of insurance policy. This just isnt right.

And before you say it, yes I realize our kid was totally in the wrong playing under the bleachers, but by the same token, shouldnt every effort be made to keep kids out of an area that is dangerous? On our home field bleachers, ours are actually chainlink fenced off. Kids can't get under them because the danger is recognized and averted.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic