FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

school or training.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: school or training.
    Posted: 18 February 2013 at 7:45pm
I am very unhappy with my life right now. I have an alright job and I am damn good at it. but im just stuck doing all the **edited** work.

I am being trained to do something amazing and I really am interested in it. The down side is that it will never pay any more than what im doing now, only give me a lot more opportunity to do other things.

I could go back to school and bust my butt to get a degree at night but it will clip my wings at work and I would have to remove myself from this training program...

So, I can go back to school for an engineering degree or I can stay doing what im doing and hope things progress in the training program I am in. (nervous about school, i feel like my brain has been clouded the last few years... i work with alot of toxic metals... might have something to do with it)

I stayed in VA to progress in the training program and see how things went with a chick... I have even been trying to get a house over the last few months. now, it all seems to be in the air...

I cant go out to seattle now like I wanted to due to budget cuts... the house will provide me some stability and I can rent rooms for supplemental income...

anyways, turning to the good old tf when I have a mind full of junk...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:56pm
What does your gut tell you?

I make way less money at my current job, but life is oh so much better. AND, the money is going to get closer to what it was prior to the job change.

Do I love my job? Not really. Do I love the means it gives me to enjoy my life more? You bet your ass I do! As my BIL said to me years ago, "I'm not becoming a doctor because I like it, I'm becoming a doctor because I'm good at it, I can tolerate it, and it affords me the ability to do the things I really want to do." For him, the money gives him that opportunity. For me, the time off does. Everything is a trade off. Even when I finally own my own business doing what it is I "want" to do, it won't be the end-all be-all that I want it to be. Anyone who tells you they have the "perfect" job and that they love it every single day is either full of crap or high as a kite.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:58pm
Depends on what kind of engineering, and what school you go to. I go to a pretty reputable engineering school, and the only people that graduate on time are the IT majors and Asians. I would not recommend school unless its something you're pretty sure you would like.

If you can cut the Physics and Calculus, you could get yourself a degree. I think you should take a few county college courses and see if you like the stuff. 
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 7:23pm
Stick with the training if it is something that interests you and pays the bills.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Depends on what kind of engineering, and what school you go to. I go to a pretty reputable engineering school, and the only people that graduate on time are the IT majors and Asians. I would not recommend school unless its something you're pretty sure you would like.

If you can cut the Physics and Calculus, you could get yourself a degree. I think you should take a few county college courses and see if you like the stuff. 

Not that it's much help to you Merc, but this.  I was an engineering student at one point (have since switched to Economics and Business), but still have a ton of friends in the engineering program here at UConn.  What it is, if you intend to do well with it, is giving up 5 years of your life completely.  It is basically IMPOSSIBLE to complete an engineering degree at any serious school with a good GPA without sacrificing LOTS in every other aspect of your life (forget about working anywhere near full-time while doing it).  And yeah, as SSOK mentioned, you're almost sure of 5 years worth of school at any program worth their salt.  Unfortunately, the education system is often unfriendly to prior experience, so there is little way around that.

Not to say you can't make it happen, but I'm just pointing out that the system is unfriendly to individuals who have a "life" outside of school and college socialization.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:11pm
Not really any helpful advice, but I envy people who are good at math. Engineering is the go to degree right now for making buku good money.

I'm an accounting major so the math stays pretty basic, and I've been able to get by with straight A's in all of my business classes, but if I had a natural affinity for math I could see myself coming out of college life with alot of things going for me since I do so well in everything else.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:17pm
i do know that i will have to give up any kind of social life to make this happen.

if i stick with training i will be doing some amazing stuff and be able to travel some and make a bunch of money. but its one of those awesome jobs you cant tell anyone about :(

work is about to cut us down to 32hrs a week so that wont be fun. but it will give me more time for school.

now, if i fail at obtaining my goal of an engineering degree i will have black balled myself in my trade and basically be screwed the rest of my career. if i am stuck in this trade i want to be in the area that my training will put me in...

i have found a job i am VERY good at and can run circles around other people. but its a job not many people want to do. i have made a name for myself but im stuck doing some nasty work. i can live with doing it for the next 5 years or so but i dont want to be stuck doing it for the rest of my life...

im comfortable right now and im scared to take the risk. (story of my life)...

i think when it comes down to it i will need to go back to school, it just seems like such a long road right now.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 11:28pm
Yomillio is right that Engineering will eat your life. A full time degree can easily span 5-6+ years. 

Thing is, you don't have to quit your job. There's no harm at taking a few courses at county college. If you can focus enough to pass calc and physics, you can finish your degree. Sure,  crap statics, fluid and thermo dynamics all await you, but its all a matter of dedicating yourself and trying to understand your professors thick Iranian/Zimbabwean/country-you-never-heard-of language. 

Engineering is a lot more than people designing space shuttles and running CNC machines. It seems like a lot of the construction/concrete/civil types are people like yourself who went back to school.

My advice? Figure out if you want to go for whatever training you keep talking about. If you don't go for it, dip your feet into school and take 2 or 3 courses this summer. If classes don't work out for you at all, BFD. You have nothing to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic