FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Momma's Valentine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Momma's Valentine
    Posted: 17 February 2013 at 8:48pm
Momma is broken hearted as well about Beau. But she came to me with a craigslist add early this afternoon, and a lets go take a look.

Roscoe T Dawg 6mo old 50lbs long ears, pie plate feet, fuzzy door stop personality and now momma's underfoot companion.

I think the worst part of Beau's passing for her was Valentines Day, she really as I miss Beau, and wanted to fill the void ASAP.
Right now Roscoe and Abby are downstairs in rec room getting aquainted, they will spend the night down there. Tomorrow Roscoe will meet Duke and get 'the tour'of the farm.He already met the guinea hens and it was a hoot as he stood there trying to figure out what all those 'things' were coming at him. EArs at alert, but looking back at momma and me with a what do I do look. All is well with the world, Beau is probably looking down tail wagging going there you go Dad, I'll check in time to time as I wait for ya. Momma is off tomorrow due to holiday and already is making up a shopping list for Roscoe.

Name comes from Roscoe P Coletrain from Dukes of Hazzard, her call.

I took my daily walk with Duke in his wheelchair, he made it about 1/3rd of the way and rode back in the garden wagon. I need my walks. Roscoe has never had a collar on nor leash so will be awhile before he can walk with me.

Better pics in am, taken with mommas I-pad in rec room (that is still under construction)

Edited by oldsoldier - 17 February 2013 at 8:50pm
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:00pm
Within the space of a few months, my sister and my mother both lost their dogs, purebred St. Bernard and Irish setter respectively. Both animals were survivors of their hike through the woods after the house was lost in the flood and the roads were washed out.

In both instances, less than a month after the dogs- who were greatly loved passed, they both found replacements.

My wife, who has never had a dog, couldn't understand how animals who were such huge members of the family could be 'replaced' so quickly, indeed its a sentiment that I've heard a few times from people who have never owned a dog.

I completely understand the need to fill that void once a good friend leaves you, and if its a rescue dog, its as great for them as it is therapeutic for you.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:11pm
I don't consider it "replacing".  It's hard to explain, and people that have never owned a dog wouldn't understand.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:19pm
Momma is mother henning him, slept with him down on the rec room futon, is out walking him right now, she is doing better emotionally than she has sincc thursday. I still miss Beau, as does she, but this I think was better for both of us. Momma has empty nest syndrom going on two with her kids growing up and gone, daughter spends only 3 nights a week home.

Hear her giggling and fussin with him now...she is one happy camper. Poor Roscoe neved did stairs so she is teaching him, with strips of boloney and patience. I glad she is out of her funk.

And yes it is hard to explain how people react to dogs.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:23pm
As a dog owner with multiple dogs, I would have given it some time before getting a new dog...

Especially in the case where I have to put it down.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 12:08am
Wasn't my call, and if Momma ain't happy, no one is happy. Not that I am not enjoying Roscoe, but I needed a little more time myself.

Momma loves him and how could I have said no?

Edited by oldsoldier - 18 February 2013 at 11:55am
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:56am
well that dog's just adorable.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 2:17pm
You know, I've been considering a dog for the family for a while, just as soon as I get rid of one of my cats (he's jealous of the kids, and is destructive and poops on my things.) Those pics make me seriously consider a basset. Are they any good with kids?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 3:42pm
They are great with kids. Mild mannered, big boned so they can 'play' without fear of injury, great fuzzy buddies. They are gentile giants when nit comes to kids, and bassets love to play, and sleep with little kids. All my guys and girls have been great with the kids and grandkids. The look of excitement when the grandkids come over, the bays and howls....playtime and off into the pastures they go running and rompin.

Per wiki: Temperament
Basset Hounds are renowned for their gentle, docile demeanour.
The Basset Hound is a friendly dog, to people and other pets, and makes an excellent companion for children.
Basset Hounds are extremely loyal to and very much attached to their owners. They selflessly love their master, or someone who the hound patronises (for example, children). This dog hates to be left alone and owners should recognize that Bassets can be stubborn and provide gentle correction where required. Bassets are highly social and are best situated as a family dog with a large, fenced back yard.

And when they say stubborn, they are the perpetual 2 year old.........

Edited by oldsoldier - 18 February 2013 at 3:44pm
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 6:45pm
I had no idea those dogs were so big at that age, BIG paws.  Looks like he will be an easy dog to fall in love with OS.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 7:05pm
One day I will own a Basset Hound named Flash
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic