FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Selling Vehicle on Craigs List?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling Vehicle on Craigs List?
    Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:37am
Decided to sell a car that we thought we were going to save for when our oldest daughter turned 16. I posted up an ad on Craigslist and getting a fair amount of response. Not sure how to determine which are legit and which are scams? What should I be looking out for? Last time I sold a vehicle rather than trading it in was probably 20 years ago and I sold it to a friend whos dad showed up with cash and away we went. With all the crazy crap I read and hear about with people getting scammed what should I be looking out for?

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:00pm
Specify it's cash or certified check only. That'll protect you financially. If they want to take a test drive you and another person go with them, if possible, carry concealed.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:03pm
My thoughts were to meet in a very public place such as a mall or something as I really don't want a parade of wierdos coming to my house. Concealed carry would be a great idea except I don't have one. Guess once I arrange the meeting and they look shady, I will just drive off.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:28pm
Check the serial numbers on each bill if they pay in cash. The counterfeiters will hopefully be lazy and copy the same note. Don't rely strictly on the security strip (Or at least read the strips inside the bill carefully) because it is easy to "wash" a five or ten dollar bill and turn it into a hundred dollar bill. Feel for texture on the "shiny" number of a bill (lower right corner of a twenty for example) because a printer will not be able to duplicate that.

Don't listen to any BS about transferring the money into a "Google escrow account" or any other crap.
Take cash, or check. Hold the vehicle until the check clears.

Meet in public. Don't let them test drive the car alone. Don't let greed take hold, someone else will always be willing to buy the car. If something don't feel right GTFO.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 3:26pm
I had thought about suggesting we meet at a bank so that I could take the money inside and deposit it before giving them the title and keys. Its just a really different world than 20+ years ago.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 4:59pm
No it wasn't.

In the 90's my sister's first car was sold on with a deposit and 2 payments. 3rd payment never arrived. So the car was "exported" on the licensing department computers. Good luck registering it or getting stopped at a road block!

There is simply more people around so incidents appear more often.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 12 February 2013 at 4:59pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 5:03pm
Who in the world accepts payments? Used cars = cash money only!. They can make payments if they want, but they don't get the car until every dime in is my hand.

I guess I meant more that I had no problem listing my car for sale 24 years ago and letting anybody that could get there take a look at it and/or possibly drive it. I wasn't worried about being carjacked or really taken advantage of. I am very reluctant to even consider having someone come by my house. Just not comfortable with it. Maybe age has just made me more paranoid?

Ive had probably 20 responses today. Astounding to me the number of people emailing me offering me 1/2 of my asking price and thinking just because they have cash in hand that I am some crack whore needing to sell my ride to score some smack. Sheez. I'm waiting for the sexy email where some skank tries to flirt with me and get my price down. Yeah. Right.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 12 February 2013 at 5:08pm
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:29pm
Take your tags off once it is sold. You don't want them running red lights and toll booths with your license plate. (Do it unless your state law says different).
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 3:27pm

Well, crossing my fingers but looks like I may have had a successful sale. Got an email from a guy yesterday and he and I went back and forth a bunch of times. Trusted my gut and set up a meeting with him today and he left me a deposit check. He is coming back tomorrow or Friday with the rest in cash. Took wading through all the wierdos, but I think I found a good one.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 3:32pm
Sold my KDX200 on Craigslist, very easy if you ask me. Buyer called me to come out and detune it just a tad more...still too fast for him.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Sold my KDX200 on Craigslist, very easy if you ask me. Buyer called me to come out and detune it just a tad more...still too fast for him.
I think a lot of this outcome REALLY depends on what you are selling. I think the reason I had a few more oddballs come out of the woodwork was because I was selling a very low end vehicle. The mix was people who really couldnt afford anything better, slick Eddies thinking they were going to pick up a flip, and guys looking for cars for their kids. Dealing with the first two is just down right aggravating, dealing with the last was a better proposal. I would venture a guess though that dealing with higher end stuff, you get some squirrels as well, probably a lot of Looky Lou's, Joy Riders and dreamers.  

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 6:58pm
I've sold 5 vehicles on a similar site - kijiji.  I only sold to people that came and looked at the truck, and then with certified cheque.
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 3:23pm
Sold and bought many an item on craigslist. Never really had any issues, the most annoying people for me are the ones that call and setup a time to meet you and never do. Or they show up and do some tire kicking with zero intention of purchasing. 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 12:17pm

I did end up selling the truck to the first guy that looked at it. I REALLY think the key is hanging back, studying the replies and only contacting back the ones that seem the most normal. Still astounded me of the numbers of people that contacted me thinking I would accept 1/2 my asking price if they came with "cash". Once I explained that I would ONLY accept cash, their seemed to be a glimmer of understanding. I also came up with a stock response email that I responded to all of the inquiries with. It clearly explained any and all issue with the vehicle, included some better pics and noted very clearly that I was only accepting cash, no checks and would be setting up appts as I saw necessary. This whittled it down to a handful to choose from and in a couple of instances I actually facebook stalked a couple and removed them from the list for various reasons. Yeah, I am that particular about who I let come to my house.

In the end, I got my asking price and think I found a decent home for the vehicle.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:02pm

I sent my now wife to pick up some mason jars off of CL because I had to work.  Good thing was that the guy wanted to meet in a church parking lot.  My wife brought her cousin, and the guy ended up bringing his two teenage sons as "back up".  They laughed about it, traded cash for the mason jars and went on their way.  You can usually tell if people are sketchy by their responses... and most scams are blatantely obvious and involve western unions and things with cash that are more complicated than hand me cash you get things. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic