FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's Finally Finalized!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Finally Finalized!
    Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:01pm
After years of me telling people I want to join the military, I finally have a date to show up for Navy OCS.

3/10/13

The process was long and a royal pain to accomplish. I still have to survive 13 weeks or more of DI ass whoopin's. Regardless, I'm one step closer to my dream job. I don't know whether I should be happy, nervous, or scared.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:31pm
You can survive the butt-whoopin's.  Congrats.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:57pm
Start running.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 7:01pm
Keep your eye on the prize.
Stay motivated.
and always remember, it is mind over matter, If you don't mind then it does not matter.
Good Luck.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 12:59am
It's a game, just learn the rules and how to play it. Years from now after this time is just a memory, it is just some good beer drinkin stories. Their job (The DI's) is to get in your head and find your faults, one of the first things they will do is go over your 'record' of achievements, and then ask you what are your faults as you see them. Think hard, have it rehearsed, that will throw them off when you do not hem and haw, you are now no fun, so they will move on to an easier target.

Repeat after me...."It don't mean nothin...nothin at all", mind clear, eyes and ears open, mouth shut and you will do fine. Object of the exercise is to be 'Candidate who?' during this, when you graduate and they don't know your name, you know what I mean, all is good.

Just remember for the first year of your career you wear your IQ on your hat and collar, that 'butter bar' just means someone thinks you have potential....now the NCO's who will deal with you will figure out if you do and to what level...

Good Luck.....enjoy

Edited by oldsoldier - 10 February 2013 at 1:01am
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 12:35pm
Congrats man!

It's all a game. Play it by their rules, and when a rule gets changed or introduced on the fly, roll with it. None of it is personal. All it is is a bunch of hard work, and you need simply remove 'quit' from your set of options at any point in time.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 8:43pm
I'm liking this advice. I've been watching videos of DI attacks just to desensitize myself to the funny things they try to come up with. I realize it wont be so easy in person.

There's a facebook page called Officer Training Command Newport. I guess there will be ways of keeping you guys up to date on my progress through letters. I wont write too much, as I know there is a lot to do in the little free-time alotted, but I'm sure I could squeeze in a note every once in a while.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:27pm
I hope the best for you!

When I have seen some of the things that Americans are doing to the enemy, it disgusts me to be an American. Some people really shouldn't be in the military, or even alive for that matter due to the things they do. The enemy is bad too and I understand that sometimes we just "have" to kill them, but when it gets to that point, torturing them for no reason is not what a good person would do. 
No intention in making this a political or argumentative thread.

Good luck Tolgak! Please keep your head straight.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 12:53am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I hope the best for you!

When I have seen some of the things that Americans are doing to the enemy, it disgusts me to be an American. Some people really shouldn't be in the military, or even alive for that matter due to the things they do. The enemy is bad too and I understand that sometimes we just "have" to kill them, but when it gets to that point, torturing them for no reason is not what a good person would do. 
No intention in making this a political or argumentative thread.

Good luck Tolgak! Please keep your head straight.

I am not the "AH'M JOYNIN' T' KILL AWL TH' MUHSLAMZ!" type. I don't believe in the current conflicts. I do believe in the continuity of the military. It's better to have a well-trained, volunteer military when we need it than to have to draft a bunch of unwilling civilians with few experienced people to lead the way.  Don't worry about me being corrupted. I'm not joining for the fighting (though I am well aware it is a part of my future job and I am willing to do what is asked of me in that regard). Part of the reason I'm joining is to eventually be an experienced person who can pass on the knowledge and skills.

As for the torture, if I ever get face to face with an enemy, it's likely because I'd have been shot down (my selection is for Naval Aviator). If there's any torture during my experience in the military, I'll probably be on the receiving end. I don't care to do any unnecessary harm to captives.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:10am
I don't know how OCS compares to regular Navy training, but my buddy who just went through the normal Navy said his boot camp was a cakewalk. You'll do fine either way, just be sure to have fun while you're at it.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I don't know how OCS compares to regular Navy training, but my buddy who just went through the normal Navy said his boot camp was a cakewalk. You'll do fine either way, just be sure to have fun while you're at it.

Of the boot camps and officer ascension programs, this one is said to be the one that "sucks the most." Marine OCS is physically the most difficult, demands the most display of leadership, and more difficult to prove yourself. In Navy OCS, it's all about putting as much mental stress on the candidates as possible and seeing who can put up with it. Things as basic as eating are meant to do this.

This is the friendly version as a display for graduation. Apparently it's this PLUS the regular bootcamp chow hall harassment (flipping of meal trays) 3 times a day for the first 10 weeks (assuming you don't roll back). You eat with only a spoon.

It's easy to fall into the trap of "It's Navy so it must be easy," but this is a whole different experience than enlisted boot camps. I can't go in expecting it to be a cakewalk.

The other part of it, which I'm not sure happens in other programs, is the concept of being "ballistic" to any other enlisted or Officer Candidate. You are always yelling. A lot of people sound like drill instructors in normal conversation at the end of their time.

Edited by Tolgak - 11 February 2013 at 9:49am
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:59am
No basic is easy.  Some may have a few perks over the others but to go from civilian to soldier is not an easy task.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 1:30pm
Will you be going to Meridian, MS?
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 2:01pm
Grats bro!

GL; HF;DD
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Grats bro!

GL; HF;DD

FL; HF; DEWEFS.

(fixed for ya!)
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

I'm liking this advice. I've been watching videos of DI attacks just to desensitize myself to the funny things they try to come up with.

I recommend the first part of Full Metal Jacket for this.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:57pm
Just remember not everyone is officer material, and it is their job to weed out the wanna-be's. When I went through any tough training course and things look bleak as mud, all I thought was 5 years from now this will be a memory and a yuc-yuc fest at the NCO club as we all compare notes.

You will have to display leadership skills, yet not micromanage everything in your 'tour' in a leadership role,(the BIGGEST mistake made at Leadership schools)select those who you trust as your subordiantes, you will learn real quick who has 'it' and who is a washout real quick.

Work on that "Command Voice" and personna, confidant but not arrogant, if your troops hate you for doing the right thing when it is needed to be done, you are doing it right and the instructors will notice. Deligate responsibilty and check it before you correct it, show the troops what went wrong and how, and here I'll help you fix it.

Make the decesion and stick to it, instructors love to jump on unsure candidates who hem and haw. My standard response when confronted about my decesions was "Sir (or Sergeant) at the time that I made my decesion, in my opinion at that time, the decesion I made was needed and made, that decesion was the best decesion I could have made at that time...Sir (or Sergeant) I practiced that line, and after about the 3rd or 4th confrontation I was no fun anymore and the instructors moved on to easier bait.

Just repeat after me..."It don't mean nothin....nothin at all...it don't mean nothin....nothin at all...." worked well for me.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 7:16pm
Well done, nice to see your dreams come true.  
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 5:06am
Join the Facebook group "Awesome (stuff) My Drill Sergeant Said"
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 3:13am
Someone said "mind over matter - if you don't mind then it don't matter"

My experience at both MCRD/Pendleton/various Special Warfare schools and my eventual transfer in to the USAF Special Warfare programs went more like 'Mind over Matter - The DI doesn't mind because YOU don't matter"

Just thought that was mildly humorous to add. Congrats, and godspeed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic