Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

barrel upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tembs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tembs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barrel upgrade
    Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:59pm
i have a 98 custom and i am looking for a new barrel to make my shots more accurate and get some more distance but not take away from my velocity. i have been looking at some tippmann, apex, and lapco barrels but can't really decide. any suggestions as to what would give me the best play for what i want? or just have good information on experience with barrels? it would be greatly appreciated
cobra_grinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobra_grinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 9:52am
Look for a decent barrel kit that will enable you to match the barrel to the bore size of the paint that you are using at the time. The kit usually comes with at least one barrel and several "fins" or "backs" for paint-to-barrel matching. That should increase accuracy. I like the Hammerhead Mofo kit, but there are other choices as well. For me personally, I like 10" barrels. I haven't seen much of a difference between 10" and 12" barrels.
SmakDaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmakDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:18am
Tembs, with paint becoming smaller and smaller over the past few years, it is imperative for you to consider your barrel bore size as well as the length. Two companies stand out with initial upgrades for Tippmann 98s. The J&J Performance and CP (Custom Products) barrels are excellent and both have kits as well as single classic barrels. For around $30, you can get a new 12 or 14 inch CP barrel with a .685 bore in flat black that will serve you well for many years. It will maximize your accuracy and allow you to shoot as far accurately as anyone
Kits willl allow you to choose your bore sizes and choose from a variety of tips that will vary your barrel lengths as well.
The apex is a barrel tip that will require a little practice before you become proficient and shoots best at slightly slower speeds. Most people shoot them in the 265 range to get the desired results.
But for the best bang for the buck out of the box it is hard to beat the recommended CP.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic