FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Because this just screams "Great Idea"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Because this just screams "Great Idea"
    Posted: 29 January 2013 at 11:57pm
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Cary-Grove-Drill-To-Include-Shooting-Blanks-188856881.html

TL/DR:

Chicago suburb will be hosting multiple PDs as they do a simulated school shooting exercise, firing blanks, while students are still in class.....

Edited by tallen702 - 29 January 2013 at 11:58pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 12:21am
Don't the students need a FOID, to even be around guns? Embarrassed
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 1:05am
Why not stage it in a real combat environment like Chicago's west side? You know the city with some of the strictest gun laws in the U.S. with it's 500 plus shooting deaths.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 2:10am
^^^ Stop that!  Everyone knows that strict gun laws reduce gun crime.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 7:42am
Chicago has enough real gunfire on a daily basis, no need to simulate it.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:13am
I'd really like to know why Chicago is indeed the crappiest place in the USA.
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I'd really like to know why Chicago is indeed the crappiest place in the USA.

because the majority of forum members don't live there to spruce it up silly.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^ Stop that!  Everyone knows that strict gun laws reduce gun crime.

Quit bashing Chicago. It is a gun free Utopia...
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:37am
I actually don't think this is intrinsically a bad idea, provided students know it is going to take place. Schools that take this seriously do drills, even if they do them during say, a lunch period or any other particularly vulnerable time in the school-day. It's important to assess readiness in less-than-optimum situations. But it there's no informed consent, a student should be protected if they beat an actor armed with a prop-gun to death with a chair. We don't institute faux-hijackings on airlines to test readiness.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

We don't institute faux-hijackings on airlines to test readiness.

We've done that. The result was hilarious. Underprepared doesn't even cut it. It was a full on hijack scenario.

But why practice for a school shooting in a place where guns are so heavily controlled?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 2:41am
I'm not sure how you test those responses, keep doing it until the airline passengers gouge out a paid actors eyes? Without informed consent you could cook up all sort of horrible scenarios for social experiments involving unthinkable violence, I mean, why not in the 1950's convince adolescent students that they were the only ones spared in a nuclear exchange and convince them to repopulate the world?It seems that informed consent is the issue here, knowing what gunfire sounds like could save lives, but if they were just freaking people out with random drills about deadly incidents, it's their hindquarters if someone gets beat. I wouldn't feel at all bad if soke news organizations put a hidden camera crew on a flight and asked them to do a mock hijacking  with fake boxcutters and ended up incapacitated or horribly disfigured for their efforts.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:47am
Kinda reminds me of the old "Duck and Cover" drill in school during the early 50's and 60's, for when the Soviets dropped a nuke in your area. Like if we think back if you saw the 'flash' you are already radiated, but we felt good. And some geniuses put up 'Nuke Free Zone' signs like the Soviets were going to divert the warheads destined for Seattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Edited by oldsoldier - 31 January 2013 at 4:53am
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:33am
We do our rapid deployment training in a real school. I think it's dumb to do it in a school with kids in it though.

EDIT: Boy that was an ugly sentence.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 31 January 2013 at 4:32pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 7:55am
The exercise we ran was with consent of the airline, the "passengers" and some key personnel who needed to know to prevent a bloodbath happening. No one else was informed, and it was run like an actual hijacking. Including extending hours of service beyond rostered and long debriefs.

The short version is everyone died.

The slightly longer one is let the professionals do their job properly, and don't hamper them.

I understand running exercises in a school. I get it. I support police and EMT doing walk throughs of schools to know their lay out. On another forum some active door kickers say they have been barred from knowing the layout of the school. All they can get their hands on are like 10 year old plans, and the school has been built on since then.

If the excrement does hit the fan, the good guys need to know the location/layout!

KBK
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 8:23am
That sounds dumb, the local cops I know all drill at our school during vacations several times a year with simunitions. That added insurance is worth replacing the smashed doorknobs and patches in the paint IMO. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:07am
Not only is it retarded due to the fact that the kids won't have hearing and eye protection, will have their educational day interrupted, and will be exposed to something that they really don't need to be exposed to, but even with blanks, things can go seriously wrong:
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:30pm
wow... flashback...

I was the last person to carry on a conversation with him before that happened...
They tremble at my name...
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

That sounds dumb, the local cops I know all drill at our school during vacations several times a year with simunitions. That added insurance is worth replacing the smashed doorknobs and patches in the paint IMO. 

We did the same thing during summer vacations and spring break. Two of the three schools that I went to did have student volunteers present to add stress to the situation, but they were kept far away from any firefights and also had signed consent from parents if I'm not mistaken.

I think the drill is a good idea in general, but the students need to be made aware that it is a drill in advance. If they just have to use blanks they need to fire them in a hallway with no students anywhere close. Personally, I'd run the drill without shooting blanks in the school.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 7:16pm
A mate of mine has taken the UK/Europe mid/east distribution for this mob.

Solves a lot of problems? I'm sceptical as I've not had a chance to play with them but with a few drawbacks it seems viable for this sort of thing.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 12:58am
Modern MILES gear?

Looks quite handy.

KBK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic