Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple of Newbie Questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
s9ac3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s9ac3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple of Newbie Questions.
    Posted: 27 January 2013 at 4:16am
@all,

What's Up! I am new to paintballing and it is something I want to do regularly. More of a hobby than competitive. Anyways, I just recently bought a Tippmann X7 Phenom Mechanical with a Ninja 45ci/4500psi air tank. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to adjust the regulator on my Ninja air tank to ouput low psi for the Phenom to operate at around 300 psi or regardless of what my tank is outputting (lets say 800psi), the Phenom has an internal regulator that converts my tank's output and operates the gun at 300psi? (hopefully that question made sense to you)

2. Can anyone tell me how accurate up to which distance the Straight Line Barrel can be? I haven't really been able to find out any real info or video on this barrel. Also, I realized today on the field that I was in a huge disadvantage with my Phenom's stock barrel.

Thanks for the help.
Newbie w/ Tippmann X7 Phenom Mechanical, Flatline Barrel, 45ci/4500psi ninja, dye i4,.. currently shopping for a remote line/harness, all the little extras come later.
Gadget Soldier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Soldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by s9ac3r s9ac3r wrote:

@all,

What's Up! I am new to paintballing and it is something I want to do regularly. More of a hobby than competitive. Anyways, I just recently bought a Tippmann X7 Phenom Mechanical with a Ninja 45ci/4500psi air tank. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to adjust the regulator on my Ninja air tank to ouput low psi for the Phenom to operate at around 300 psi or regardless of what my tank is outputting (lets say 800psi), the Phenom has an internal regulator that converts my tank's output and operates the gun at 300psi? (hopefully that question made sense to you)

2. Can anyone tell me how accurate up to which distance the Straight Line Barrel can be? I haven't really been able to find out any real info or video on this barrel. Also, I realized today on the field that I was in a huge disadvantage with my Phenom's stock barrel.

Thanks for the help.

Hey there, welcome to the wonderful world of paintball!  You will have so much fun, especially with your Tippmann Phenom!

To answer your questions.

1. No, you do not have to adjust the output on your Ninja regulator.  The Phenom (and about 90% of all markers out there) already have a regulator built in to handle the high output of your HPA tank.

2. In regards to the Straight Line Barrel, I really cannot give you an answer other than the fact it is the product of a partnership between Tippmann and Hammerhead barrels.  Some players can swear by the Straight Line/Hammerhead barrels, other will tell you that it has been the worst barrel they have ever used.   I personally have used The Hammerhead barrel and it was hit and miss for me, but I have been using a Freak kit with a Deadlywind barrel with almost the same results.

Google "Paint to bore match" and read up on the discussions and articles out there for a better understanding of how to get the best out of your barrels and paint which in turn affects accuracy.
s9ac3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s9ac3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 6:10pm
@Gadget Soldier,

Thanks for the reply.  I wanted to lower the output psi on my HPA tank so that the pressure will be less stressful on my Phenom's internal regulator.  I was going to lower the output psi to like 450, currently set at 800psi, on my HPA tank but a gun tech told me if I did that, my Phenom will have inconsistent shots when I rapid fire or full auto.  Is this true?  Also, I bought a Flatline barrel for my Phenom.  I installed it while watching the Tippmann instruction video.  I know I used the right adaptor and installed it correctly but was getting chopped balls all day.  I was using the Ultra Evil paintballs.  All day I had to play close quarters and call out "Surrentder!" to the opposing members.  Is there a paintball that you would recommend over the Ultra Evil?  Is there a barrel you would recommend?  And yes,  I had very much fun the last 2 days I went.  I would've had more fun if the Flatline barrel worked for my Phenom.  I want it to work.  The Flatline on my brother's A-5 is awesome, loud, and intimidating.  I want that for my Phenom.

Newbie w/ Tippmann X7 Phenom Mechanical, Flatline Barrel, 45ci/4500psi ninja, dye i4,.. currently shopping for a remote line/harness, all the little extras come later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Soldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 7:48pm

@Gadget Soldier,

Thanks for the reply.  I wanted to lower the output psi on my HPA tank so that the pressure will be less stressful on my Phenom's internal regulator.  I was going to lower the output psi to like 450, currently set at 800psi, on my HPA tank but a gun tech told me if I did that, my Phenom will have inconsistent shots when I rapid fire or full auto.  Is this true?  Also, I bought a Flatline barrel for my Phenom.  I installed it while watching the Tippmann instruction video.  I know I used the right adaptor and installed it correctly but was getting chopped balls all day.  I was using the Ultra Evil paintballs.  All day I had to play close quarters and call out "Surrentder!" to the opposing members.  Is there a paintball that you would recommend over the Ultra Evil?  Is there a barrel you would recommend?  And yes,  I had very much fun the last 2 days I went.  I would've had more fun if the Flatline barrel worked for my Phenom.  I want it to work.  The Flatline on my brother's A-5 is awesome, loud, and intimidating.  I want that for my Phenom.

Not a problem, all I know is that it's better to just keep the output at 800 because almost no matter what marker you get (except a few markers that do require low pressure), there will be a regulator that steps the pressure down to what the marker needs.  Don't quote me on this, but I think the gun tech maybe right that you will get inconsistent shots because of the marker being starved of air, I maybe wrong.

As to the flatline, I have not personally used it, but every forum I have been on, it is a hit and miss with players using them.  I know that they definitely need a paintball whose shell ids very durable.  I think that Ultra Evil maybe too brittle for use in your flatline, but then again I've seen and heard brittle paint go thru them with no problem.  The real problem with flatlines is that when you do have a break in the barrel, you have to take it off the marker to use a pull thru squeegie to clean it out.  Can't use a straight shot squeegie or the ones that look like a q-tip lol.  If you ever get a chance to look in the barrel of the flatline (off the marker of course), you will notice that the upper part of the barrel is rough, it is made so that it will give it a spin to keep it up in the air longer, to give more distance, but the farther out you get, the less accurate it becomes.  In this case, I refer to Marbalizers or any paint that can be roughly handled without breaking.

Now if you want something along the lines of the flatline, I would recommend the Apex barrel or barrel tip.  It does the same thing as the flatline, but you can adjust it.  Make it shoot farther, like the flatline, or change it up to where it can drop short like it can drop on someones head.  Also you can turn it so that it can hook left or right, pretty much around corners to hit your opponent.  With the X7, there are many ways for looks and upgrades, but it's a matter of what you want.  This is my setup, but I have slightly changed it up where I have a magpul angle foregrip instead of the folding one you see in the pic.  If you're wondering what is on the tip of the barrel, it is called a Dishka Adapter and it amplifies the sound to make it loud and to make it even louder, I taped up all the holes in the barrel! lol

s9ac3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s9ac3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 8:22pm
@Gadget Soldier,

You may be right on the Ultra Evil paint being too brittle. I inquired with Tippmann Tech and they also told me that usually, Evil paint in general is too brittle for Tippmann Markers. So you would recommend Marbalizers? Yes, the Flatline Barrel for the Phenom has a very mixed review. The only reason I bought the ultra Evil is because it was 45 dollars. I thought, "hmm, high quality grade paint..". I guess in my case, it was a flop. However, my brother's A-5 with Flatline, velocity set at 240 had no breaks at all. I guess I'll have to try another quality brand paint and see how that works out. I'll try the marbalizers or the u.s army brand.

By the way, what kind of shroud it that? It looks long. Did you some how put the stock shroud and commando shroud together? I'm going to have to look into that Dishka Adaptor. The Phenom is not loud and I would like my marker to be intimidating.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadget Soldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:11pm

@Gadget Soldier,

You may be right on the Ultra Evil paint being too brittle. I inquired with Tippmann Tech and they also told me that usually, Evil paint in general is too brittle for Tippmann Markers. So you would recommend Marbalizers? Yes, the Flatline Barrel for the Phenom has a very mixed review. The only reason I bought the ultra Evil is because it was 45 dollars. I thought, "hmm, high quality grade paint..". I guess in my case, it was a flop. However, my brother's A-5 with Flatline, velocity set at 240 had no breaks at all. I guess I'll have to try another quality brand paint and see how that works out. I'll try the marbalizers or the u.s army brand.

By the way, what kind of shroud it that? It looks long. Did you some how put the stock shroud and commando shroud together? I'm going to have to look into that Dishka Adaptor. The Phenom is not loud and I would like my marker to be intimidating.

That foregrip is something I made.   I had an extra X7 foregrip and glued 2 of them together.

Ya high quality paint is usually for the high end electro markers like the Ego's and Geo's.  But when you mentioned that it was ok in your brother's A-5, I think the lower velocity was easier on the paint than your Phenom.  I think the US Army Brand would work well in your Phenom.

When you are looking at the Dishka Adapter, you may have to end up getting a barrel kit.  LAPCO and Rap4 sells a Dishka.  The LAPCO is a threaded adapter that will thread on their BIG SHOT Assault barrels, while the RAP4 one will just use a set screw to keep it on your existing barrel.  You will either get a new barrel (or kit) or use your stock barrel.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic