FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaking of video games.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaking of video games.
    Posted: 24 January 2013 at 12:17am
So like I mentioned, I'm in a class now called "Video Game Theory & Analysis." 

Initial thought: Woo video games. 

Reality: This textbook. Which is probably the most thick textbook I've ever owned. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 24 January 2013 at 12:18am
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 2:39am
Wow, that's hefty. What's the gist you've got so far? Just curious what kind of things a book like that would aim to cover, and more importantly, how well it does it.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 2:48am
Please don't be one of those 'tards who tries to tie in violence in modern society with violence in video games.

Or I'll hunt you down and kill you Painkiller style.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

So like I mentioned, I'm in a class now called "Video Game Theory & Analysis." 

Initial thought: Woo video games. 

Reality: This textbook. Which is probably the most thick textbook I've ever owned. 

Wouldn't it be easier to just say "thickest?"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Please don't be one of those 'tards who tries to tie in violence in modern society with violence in video games.

It's a very convoluted area of social science. There really is no clear decisive answer to the question: "Do violent video games make people more violent in the long term." 

Some longitudinal studies have attempted to answer the question, some have said that they can see a clear correlation, some said there is no correlation, but meta analyses point to the two studies using different measurements and conditions. 

There are very, very clear correlations between playing violent video games and short-term aggression. They've tested this through reported attitude, latent attitude and behavior, and they almost always show a clear correlation. 

Nobody really knows what to do with that information yet, though, as people are still working on figuring out the implications of that agression. 

To me, the work involving the potential negative impacts of video games should be focused less on aggression/violence and more on the portrayal of minorities and women, problematic themes and visualizations, and most importantly, the idea of creating desensitization to the problems of violence. 

But that's just me. 

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 11:19am
I overlooked the book entirely when I spotted what might be the very seldom seen, and long thought extinct, Deskuffalo.

WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

I overlooked the book entirely when I spotted what might be the very seldom seen, and long thought extinct, Deskuffalo.

I <3 my Deskuffalo. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Wow, that's hefty. What's the gist you've got so far? Just curious what kind of things a book like that would aim to cover, and more importantly, how well it does it.

We've read the first three chapters so far, which have been: Defining what it means to "play," defining what it means for something to be a "game," and looking at the intersection of the two on social interaction (The Magic Circle concept). 

Our first assignment was to play a board game and analyze it using those three concepts. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic