Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dear Subaru

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dear Subaru
    Posted: 21 January 2013 at 5:42pm
The biggest reason you won't see the Subaru AWD system powering this thing is that it's more of a Toyota than a Subaru.

Also, in the '80s, the Buick GNX was routinely beating Vettes across the board.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 10:08pm
What Tallen said.  The 22B is where its at - for JDM options anyway.  Best and easiest way to do it now is exactly as mentioned; buy yourself an older 2.5RS and swap in a modern STi motor.  Been done plenty of times and kicks ass - monster engine in a fairly light chassis.

I can 99.9% promise you never see a BRZ with AWD, and there is a good chance you never see a factory BRZ offered with a turbo (at least, in the next few years).  AWD would be extremely counter-productive to the type of car that the BRZ is, and I think unless they go with mild boost (similar to the 220hp WRX motor), I doubt they turbo it either.  I bet the inevitable "STi" version of the BRZ won't have more than 230-240hp... its just too light and would be "uncontrollable" to the average young buyer; especially on the relatively small factory rubber (unless they tacked on some fender flares for big rubber in the back, and even then, it becomes the same type of novelty car as LS-engined Miatas).
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Plus the C7 looks terrible IMO.

Die.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:31pm
I drove a BRZ when I took my wifes forester down to get a command start put in.  I hope they leave it rwd, what a great car, I really enjoyed driving it.  Let them concentrate on bringing the 2.0 diesel to north america.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Robocop Robocop wrote:

When the frs/BRZ was being designed, they were giving what everyone wanted, a lightweight, 200 HP, RWD, low center of gravity car, with some decent fuel mileage. That's what was delivered. Then everyone got mad that it wasn't 300 HP because nothing is good enough. It's a car that is meant to be fun to drive and that's what it is.

But that would be a silly place to stop.

Besides, it's not like you can't have multiple models of the same car. Let Scion keep dropping the RWD low end version and let Subaru take charge of a high end sports car on the same platform.

Every auto maker on the planet has used this strategy since the beginning of cars...hell, Ford ranges from 315 HP V6 that gets decent gas mileage to 850 HP monsters that suck gas like a freight train.

The BRZ is just too perfect of a body, it's one of the sexiest body lines to come out in years.

As far as the FRS / BRZ reception, I've heard nothing but good reviews and the car's been the top seller for the last several months. I don't think anyone said it isn't good enough, but more power options could open the door

Originally posted by Tallen Tallen wrote:

They used to make one, it was called the 22BSTi. It had two doors, AWD, 5-speed manual gearbox, VCD, intercooled turbocharged 2.5l flat-four and it destroyed the rally circuit on a daily basis.

Had to look it up, that's pretty freaking cool. I don't know how well it would work with later WRX styling cues, I think that the year model they used was the most viable body to pull off the two door look.

I do love the new hatches though. My buddy has one and it's one of the only cars I've considered trading my Mustang for.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 4:49pm
When the frs/BRZ was being designed, they were giving what everyone wanted, a lightweight, 200 HP, RWD, low center of gravity car, with some decent fuel mileage. That's what was delivered. Then everyone got mad that it wasn't 300 HP because nothing is good enough. It's a car that is meant to be fun to drive and that's what it is.

An AWD variant would be nice especially for the northern states because a light car like this gets stuck pretty easily in some light snow.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:47pm

The GXP G8 came darn close...in fact Pontiac would havd likely joined Cadillac in trouncing Chevy products had it not been axed.

It's a silly philosophy to have considering the Corvette is a road racer and the Camaro is pretty limited to a straight line in comparison.

Back in "the day" Pontiac had to sandbag a few cars to appease the corporate flunkies. And yes, the Transformers concept was much better
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:40pm

Give us an AWD STi turbo BRZ.

Seriously. It's the same reason Chevy has already lost the pony car race with the Camaro-they won't let it outperform the Vette through a quarter which is silly.

A 320 HP AWD BRZ would rock my world.

/waits for Tallen

They used to make one, it was called the 22BSTi. It had two doors, AWD, 5-speed manual gearbox, VCD, intercooled turbocharged 2.5l flat-four and it destroyed the rally circuit on a daily basis.

They won't make an AWD one because it's not the point of the BRZ. The point was to create an entry-level RWD hoon-machine to compete against the likes of the Genisis, Miata, and other fun-to-drive track-day small sports cars.

If you want what you're asking for and don't mind the body being different, go buy a used '98-'01 2.5RS Coupe, drop in a crate engine with turbo, intercooler, and performance exhaust and have fun.

Edit: Also, I don't think you'll see a turbo anytime soon. Given the likes of the majority of people buying them (younger street-racing enthusiasts), cramming that much power into that light a chassis is just asking for lawsuits.

Edited by tallen702 - 18 January 2013 at 12:42pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:36pm
The GXP G8 came darn close...in fact Pontiac would havd likely joined Cadillac in trouncing Chevy products had it not been axed.

It's a silly philosophy to have considering the Corvette is a road racer and the Camaro is pretty limited to a straight line in comparison.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:23pm
GM always had a fascination with keeping the Corvette the fastest car in the lineup. There were a few things axed in the Pontiac division by corporate because they would outpace the Vette.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:00pm
Give us an AWD STi turbo BRZ.

Seriously. It's the same reason Chevy has already lost the pony car race with the Camaro-they won't let it outperform the Vette through a quarter which is silly.

A 320 HP AWD BRZ would rock my world.

/waits for Tallen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic