FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another addiction in hobbies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another addiction in hobbies
    Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:10am
As stated began to rebuild my N-Gauge railroad that last saw the light of day in 1985. Spent so far over $1000 in three days, just to get started and begin rebuilding layout. All the 'old' trackage needed to be replaced, and to my aggravation the more modern scale rail profile is too small for the older and larger 'pizza cutter' styled wheels of my German N-Gauge engines and rolling stock. Even the German manufacturers have gone to the modern profile. According to several websites my equipment is more 'collector' than operational. And there are no replacement wheels to the size needed available because of the age of the equipment. Problem is only on the turnouts, and anywhere 'frogs' are encountered, large flanged wheel 'skip' and derail.

So here is the 'plan'. Going with the 3 4X8 tables connected in an 'L' with new equipment and the typical 'spaghetti' layout. And will make a separate 4X8 table with just a few loops for the German equipment. Have more than enough cantenary masts to do it as simple loops and maybe a 'station' with set locked turnouts.

The buildings are interchangeable, though German buildings can represent older typical East Coast cities and built up areas, just re-sign them in English (American). So no problem there, the KATO buildings are modular and already set up so a station section already has buildings as well as track, simple and easy for the US setup.

Momma and I agreed the layout will represent a Albany,NY to Lincoln,NE set up, a Northeast layout, going through a 'wall' at the 'L' with a Chicago picture background and then the plains to Lincoln. A coal mine in the NE, and grain tower in the plains. Sphegetti junctions in the NE and plains, D&H/CN freight units in NE, UP/BNSF freight units in plains, with an AMTRAK line between the two 'cities' on double track main lines. Will make the California Zeypher AMTRAK Lincoln/Chicago/Lincoln, and Lake Shore Limited AMTRAK Chicago/Albany/Chicago(all available by KATO)

Learning the DCC power wiring as I go, like the 'computer' aspect of DCC control rather than the old analog block systems.

This looks like a big money as well as time Endeavour, but fun is where you find it. Now how to squirrel away money for stuff so momma don't know, like any other 'addict'
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:39am
I've been wanting a Z-gauge set, but those buggers are expensive...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:24pm
Z scale way too small for me, almost went HO so I could see better what I was doing.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:26pm
My old man's putting his collection of HO back together after losing what had to be tens of thousands of dollars worth of antiques in the flood.

I can't believe how much money some of these stupid locomotives are worth. Side note- anything with a Bachmann logo is going to be big bucks.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:41pm
My lady friend's brother is in to trains. He makes his own model track and trains. He was president of train club. We always crack jokes at him.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Z scale way too small for me, almost went HO so I could see better what I was doing.

That's actually why I like Z. Tiny technology fascinates me. It'd be cool to have a complete city system on a table top. :D

Edited by DeTrevni - 13 January 2013 at 1:59pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:01am
Already did the math and using track planner software, $2700 in track alone needed. Then a $250 DCC unit and maybe need another, wiring, and then we get into all the new loco's and rolling stock, more buildings etc. I don't think momma really thought this 'get a new hobby' thing all the way through.

So far tables up and covered. I used a 'sand' colored low-pil fleech as cover, good base color and effective sound reduction of track. Momma has been working on repairing current buildings. All will be lighted again, street lights in the cities, all rail signals actually lighted per turnout indication as well as active 'blocks'.

Background scenery will be ordered, still have massive amounts of tree and bushes, so no real issue there.

Figuring $5000 and over a year before I am done.

There will be 10 units running, the two AMTRAK's, and the reamining main line freights and then the 'switchers'.

You get them in full sets with KATO
http://www.katousa.com/N/AmView/index.html
http://www.katousa.com/N/SS-Intercity/index.html

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 January 2013 at 10:02am
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:14pm
Be sure to post pics when you are done!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:43pm
Some early design pics already in my start thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic