FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Returning to old hobbies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 12:12am
I wonder sometimes about modern equipment and kids and sports these days. Ski helmets were prohibitively expensive when I was a kid, you might build a jump and ski patrol would eventually knock it down. I can't tell you how many kids these days I see attempting backflips. It's shocking. I might have known one person who did one once growing up, I see kids try it (and often fail) every single day. I suppose the head-trauma risk is lower, but it seems to lead to taking bigger risks. I suppose that instead of learning their lesson with a concussion it's from a long rehab after a injured extremity. Then again, they still sometimes knock themselves out and poop their snowpants despite the helmet.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

FE, how old were you in 1990? Totally rad styling there.

Thanks, I was 17-18 then, the contest footage, and the mullet, was when I was 17, the rest when I was 18. I used some of this footage for my demo tape I sent to Woodward. I was pretty shocked when they called me and gave me the position as it was the holy grail of all freestylers at the time, as you got free room and board, and got to ride with the best riders in the world, AND get paid! They picked only 1 flatlander... 2 ramp/street riders,  and 4 BMX riders.

Tony Hawk was one of the skateboard instructors then, and Danny Way was one of the others. 

Awesome gig, but I didn't film a single thing then as I didn't have a video camera...  

Its funny now, looking back, because after the kids went to bed at night, we would often sit around and play cards and shoot the breeze. And had some serious discussions about how to do some amazing things. I told them about Mat building the first monster ramp (he had just finished it in Oklahoma City, and I saw it before I left town) and Tony and Danny were VERY interested in this new type of ramp riding. Danny always joked about one day jumping the great wall of China... So I wasn't very surprised when I heard this happened years ago...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 15 January 2013 at 8:56am
They tremble at my name...
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I wonder sometimes about modern equipment and kids and sports these days. Ski helmets were prohibitively expensive when I was a kid, you might build a jump and ski patrol would eventually knock it down. I can't tell you how many kids these days I see attempting backflips. It's shocking. I might have known one person who did one once growing up, I see kids try it (and often fail) every single day. I suppose the head-trauma risk is lower, but it seems to lead to taking bigger risks. I suppose that instead of learning their lesson with a concussion it's from a long rehab after a injured extremity. Then again, they still sometimes knock themselves out and poop their snowpants despite the helmet.
  It's all about pushing yourself and having fun with friends. It's progression of self and sport that has me hucking flips. One upping your buddy, pushing each other to give'r. It's what makes park riding fun to me. Tossing flips your first time in a groomed park is retarded and people shouldnt do it. But learning them in the back country with  good landings and powder then taking them to the park is what it's about.  What I wish they had 10 years ago is the air bags they have now. Kids 18 and under hucking double flips into an air bag. Pretty much fun and adrenaline have people doing what they do in extreme sports. It out weighs regret or injury.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 4:10pm
It is always the same though. 4 minute mile? Once a dream now an pretty good time.

Climbing Everest? Now they have to LIMIT numbers!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic