Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Returning to old hobbies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Returning to old hobbies.
    Posted: 11 January 2013 at 3:03pm
Seeing as I am finally employed again, I will be picking up some old hobbies I use to enjoy. This time it will be r/c planes, again. I use to live in the city, which was a pain to fly nitro planes. 45 minute drive to just enjoy a few hours of flying. Thankfully battery technology got good and cheap enough. To pursue electric planes. Which allowed me to fly in the parks etc. But there is something about fueling up the plane, and the sweet smell of alcohol and nitro methane that the electric planes don't have.

I now live in a semi rural area. And due to the housing bubble popping, we have a housing development that stopped dead in it's tracks. Right after they paved the streets, added the few stop signs, and fire hydrants. So, basically I have paved runways at my convenience.

Thankfully I have most of the stuff, to get right back into flying. Some things will need to be replaced (receiver batteries, fuel etc). But after that, it will be pretty cheap to enjoy the hobby I love, as long as I don't crash Tongue. But even IF I do, I  have noticed some screaming deals on nitro planes, on craigslist. Seems everyone is either getting out of the sport, or selling their nitro stuff to fund their electric ones.

Anyone else returning to hobbies they once enjoyed, but took a back seat in recent years?
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 3:21pm
Coke.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:53pm
I always wanted to get into rc planes, just never took that step. I did get a cox airplane for my  14th birthday, I still remember my dad trying it, getting dizzy and the corsair airplane ramming into his crotch, such a good day!
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 8:03pm
Ever since I was a little kid, maybe like 5 years old, I have wanted an r/c airplane for Christmas. Never got one. I want one a lot, but I don't want to foot the bill.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
BearClaw View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 9:35pm
Years ago i used to cycle A TON but injured a knee and totaled my bike then turned 16 and went crazy buying and fixing up cars and eventually motorcycles wich i STILL love to this day. 

Few years back in the interest of getting healthier i went out and picked up a decent bicycle and started riding it daily and found out how much i missed it/enjoyed it.  Hopefull to get back to it come spring as i currently out of commishion thanx to an inatentive driver taking my out on one of my Motorcycles (Three surgeries and 4 months now).

And i got out of paintball for a couple years and returned three years ago brought on by my kid sister falling for this wonderful game.  Had big plans for this year but looking like some may have to wait till next when i sure to be a little better off healing wise.

I used to Race nitro RC trucks but stopped when i litterally blew the engine (put a hole in the block) but prior to the boom that thin would FLY  had all kinda upgrades most just cause it chewed up stock drive train parts.  recently to keep busy dabbled in R/C indoor helis and the little out door ultra micro planes.  Seriously fun stuff but gets pricey quick and being as i on disability cant keep funding it. 

Hopeing spring is good too me.  Hope to start being able to walk again soon.  Wana get some muscel back start riding my Bicycle playin Paintball and REALLY miss my Motorcycle oddly enuff (still have my toy, the bike that got destroyed in the accident was a project i had been working on). 

AGD RT ULE AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN SL68II
DANGEROUS POWER E1
TIPPMANN A5
SHERIDAN PGP2
AGD 68 AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN PRO-CARBINE
EMPIRE TRRACER
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 10:51pm
Just spent another $350 on N-guage railroad track. Completed 3 4X8 tables, set in an 'L'. Got all my German stuff out to repair and rebuild, an old hobby restarted. BTW went with KATO track since eyesight not what it was, don't have to ballast it and its modular.
Also far eaiseier to use DCC on it.

I still got my r/c plan hobby for get outside and do something, and those park flyer electrics are fun and inexpensive way tyo do it, no more $750 model to assemble, $400 in electronics and a $300 motor.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 11:51pm
R/C electric helicopters are getting dirt cheap as well. They are fun to fly around the house or the office.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 8:06am
The ones I've gotten back into recently are:

Paintball
Brewing
Gun Collecting (now that I have a permanent residence for the FFL to ship to)
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:15pm
My friends keep bugging me to get a bike again...

I think just editing old footage is more my speed. Found this from 1990. 

They tremble at my name...
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:46pm
dat mullet
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 11:27pm
Great way to end a video
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 11:36pm
was that you at the end eating it as well?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 6:18am
Sweet legwarmers.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:08am
Yeah, it was the end of the 80's... So fashion was "interesting" as my kids would say. Those leg warmers were actually hammer pads, the red ones were prototypes that RL Osborn gave me for filming part of one of his videos. Little piece of freestyle history. 

I did have a nifty business in the front/party in the back hairstyle back then... ha. 

And that wasn't me eating dirt at the end of the video. That was at some dirt trails in Tulsa Oklahoma, where that guy used to come all the time and tell us how he built the jumps, was a pro, and was the best rider in the area... And did we want to buy some pot?...

But, he forgot his bike. 

Then that day he showed up on that... And then when he showed us how it worked. He got worked. Out cold for about 2 minutes... on a relatively soft bail. Dude was really strange. He was fine a few minutes later, well as fine as he could be...

I just threw that on the end for giggles. As it makes me laugh for some strange reason.

They tremble at my name...
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:52am
If they had those bikes when I was a kid I would never have made it as crazy as I was.
I remmember when we took our old bikes, knocked the legs off a picnic table for a 'ramp' and jumped cars and stuff, a lot of 'strawberries' and nasty bruises. NO ideas or dreams of these BMX styled 'trick' bikes.

I did look at 'mountian cross' out here for awhile, 24/26in bikes on a BMX track for us 'older' types. My 'dream was a 24in base bike, 26in front wheel, actual motocross style bars and long seat, suspention both front and rear, figured 1 fast lap per race, doable......then.

I still ride my high end mountian bike as exercise, a $700 custom job made by a bike shop here in town. And the dirt roads and sand on the roads sometimes make for some interesting 'tricks' just to get to the pavement 3 miles away.

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 January 2013 at 10:57am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Out cold for about 2 minutes

That's super bad for you.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 3:37pm
Yeah, all we did was 'jump' our bikes.  We had a side street that had a pretty decent grade to it.  We could get our bikes up to around 20mph and hit a ramp we made with plywood and 2x4s.  Wasn't until my brother hit the ramp wrong and basically went face and forearms into the blacktop.  Serious roadrash, lips mashed into his braces.  Looked like Tyson used him as a heavy bag using sandpaper gloves.  This even stopped him from using a ramp he made in our back yard where a cable spool was used.  Many a crank were bent back in those days using that...
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:41pm
well i want to get back into playing bass again. only stopped playing because work would typically render my finger tips raw from sanding aluminum molds all day. now with a different job i might re-string my epiphone explorer, and search for a new neck for my jazz bass.

also starting a new hobby. after realizing all the strange unusual "adventures" i have playing XBOX with my friends. i have decide to start recording and uploading. not looking to be "famous" for it, but if last night was any indication of things to come it should be interesting.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 9:54pm
FE, how old were you in 1990? Totally rad styling there.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:57pm
I never got into freestyle riding. I used to ride my BMX on tracks. It was way fun until I messed up a jump.

Messed it up royally. Managed to land on my back almost head first. Knocked myself out and wrote off a helmet.

Gave that up as a bad idea.

We also had a stalled housing development that everyone flocked to to fly RC's from. As soon as the economy picked up a little it exploded into houses again. They asked the developers to include a runway but it was nixed. :( The other runway closed down, a church was built over it. Most odd. It was a real runway with markings and everything. Run up areas the lot. The church is a tent and was erected slap bang over the runway. I don't know where they fly from now.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic