FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing a Friend,,Beau

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing a Friend,,Beau
    Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:02pm
Beauregard T. Dawg

Well Beau woke up this morning with a large mass above his left eye, and a large mass in front of his right. The sinus cavity is now totally blocked. There now is a visable mass of tissue in his right nostil. We went to the vet, she is great, Beau got some anti-biotics and she drained the sinuses as best she could. But we agreed it is time. Beau will come home and we will goof around for the week, walking the pasture, maybe a truck ride or two for he still loves to ride with Dad, spending some time with me and his 'buddies' Abby and Duke. I still remmember the last Great Escape last fall, after the diagnosis, Beau and Duke out wandering the farms, finding them the next day miles from the house, Duke tired and wet, Beau just struttin back to the truck, front legs up on the open doorway, and the over the shoulder look of "Well?".

And if Beau is no better by Saturday the vet will stop by after dinner and after Beau's steak dinner he and I will take a final gallump around the pasture as ther sun goes down, and he will go to sleep and cross The Rainbow Bridge next to me by the main fireplace in his bed next to my recliner, I'll scratch his head till he falls asleep.

This has been so hard, one day he is great, the next we have issues like this AM. He has beaten the odds, lived well past all predictions, and even this AM riding to the vet was staring out the window, sitting in the front seat, tail wagging and having I hope memories of his own.
I still hold out hope that the anti-biotics will work, and we still have some time, but I think this time reality is going to be a .......

Beau has helped me through some hard times, and stood by me through a lot. We both have a cancer, he has inspired me not to give up, I will fight as he has. We sat together this AM when back from the vet and he just stared into my eyes, that head nod he does, as he seems to want to communicate something, a look of understanding, he knows, I seriously believe it. Our bodies are failing, he wants to help me understand.
And when the day comes and the 'troops' are awaiting me as I too finally cross that bridge, many do not believe, but I do, and will.

It is in my will that the urns of all my Bassets go with me to the final rest, it has been arranged, we will all be together again...Samantha, Beau, Mudpup, and when time Duke, Abby, and I am going to Kansas next week to that rest area on I-70 to have a talk with 'Old Beau', the stake with his dogtag above his grave was still there last summer when I passed through, I thought about bringing him home but believe he enjoys watchin the trucks go by as we did for all those years on the road.

It is strange to many why I have been attached to my Bassets more than people. Time seems to go by too fast when you are losing a friend, and you are forced to look inside at your time left. Never had true long term friends, several divorces, kids move away and kind of forget you, but everytime I open the door and head to their kennel or get out of the car or truck, they pour out of the garage, tails wagging, faces bright, whats for dinner?, time for our gallump?, welcome home, the occasional baying as we 'talk', those faces and wags let me know I have friends that will never.............

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 3:20pm
Sorry for your loss, OS...
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 3:26pm
That really sucks. Dogs are quite often better than people. The old boy will spend his last hours in his most comfortable surroundings, rather than some sterile and possibly scary environment, there's really no better way to go.

My sister lost her St. Bernard unexpectedly a few weeks ago, and she's still a mess over it. You can grow incredibly attached to dogs to the point where losing them IS losing a family member or loved one.

Good luck to you.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 3:47pm

Its been a couple of years and I still get misty thinking about having to put down one of my dogs a couple of years back. Honestly, we put it off longer than we probably should have as she was truly "out of it" the last month or so. Its amazing how attached we become to animals. I think there is something primal about the connection between dogs and their owners. Good luck.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:56pm
I have to stop ready these threads, they make me want to break down like a little girl. Not much does that to me.

Getting a little dusty in here....

So sorry to hear that, though, OS. Cherish this week, and remember the good times. Maybe split a cold beer with the old fella.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
CHiKUN PiMP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proudly picking on priests since 800 AD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHiKUN PiMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 7:04pm
Sorry for your loss OS. Whenever I start feeling cold inside I know my dog is one of the few creatures that can warm me up. Hang on to the good times.
www.TexasPumpAndPistolGame.com
www.pettyPb.com

MCB:Chickun
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

That really sucks. Dogs are quite often better than people
Good luck to you.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 9:38pm
Sorry to hear it man, my dog back home is having some issues and I'm dreading thinking about it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 10:57pm
Beau went to vet today for a look and decesion. Both abseses on his face were drained and cleaned, she drained his sinuses, and he is much better. He enjoyed the ride to vet, was a good patient as I held him throughout the procedures, and other than being a little groggy from the meds, galumped back to the truck for ride home.
We had a great week, and I think he is just doing all this for the extra attention and now nightly beer with Dad.
Other than the mass in the one nostril that is the cancer, vet says as long as he is back being playfull and enjoying, no reason to do anything now.
Still it is hard...We know we are on borrowed time.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 2:02pm
That's cracking news, 

My old boy has a few tumours around his chest and it's really hard knowing things could get a lot worse quickly. He's still a happy chappy but he's slowed down considerably but 14 yo labs tend to do that anyway.

Best of luck.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 4:37pm
Why not put him down instead of waiting for it to get bad again?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 5:06pm
The way I see it, if he's happy and not suffering then why would you put him down as a pre-emptive measure?

I see it as being the absolute last resort that is used when the pain etc outweighs the quality of life. Which it sounds to me isn't the case at the minute.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

That really sucks. Dogs are quite often better than people.
This sentiment echoes the philosophy of a buddy of mine:  "The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs."

You will never find a more faithful companion that will give you more unconditional love than a dog.  No argument.  End of story.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:55am
Because you are going to make him suffer, THEN put him down.

I realize you can apply that argument backwards to never getting a pet, or putting it down as soon as you get it, but OS has said he's on borrowed time. He's already suffered through these abscesses and his sinuses as well as the other ailments OS was talking about.

Sure he's healthier NOW, but he's going to get sick again and everyone is going to go through this again, including him with the sickness and discomfort.

Why make him suffer through it again so you can scrape a couple of more days with "your best friend", whom you're going to put through the pain and anguish?

KBK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 7:57am
One of the reasons we went friday to the Vet was to make that decesion. The Vet seeing a vast improvement, and the cyst/abses draining was a minimal procedure our decesion was based on Beau's attitude when he arrived, which was a perky, tail wagging, 'happy', and after the procedure even more.
According to the Vet Dogs process pain differantly than humans. She did a series of tests of physical prodding and probing and Beau hardly reacted. Cancer masses are usually free of nerve ends so no pain. She compared Beaus issue as a really stuffed up nose and no where for the mucus to drain so it forms pockets and these cysts/abseses. She stated that this is a normal K9 responce, and Beau feels little or no pain, other than pressure, even when these masses were as large as they were.
Now with more anti-biotics until the airway down the throat is threatened there is really no reason to do 'anything' drastic. She too is amazed at Beau's condition, Monday looking like it was over, and Friday up, perky, happy, tailwagging, fun guy.

Yes I am torn, and it is hard, but as long as myself and the Vet see no indications of pain and suffering to that point, we agree that he can continue till he tells us by his own physical attitude that it is time. The day he no longer wants to do our walks and gallumps, or has serious breathing issues then the decesion is made.

The gallump back to the truck friday and the excitment and happiness he showed staring out the window of the truck, tells me he still wants to be around, if only for a little while longer.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Because you are going to make him suffer, THEN put him down.

I realize you can apply that argument backwards to never getting a pet, or putting it down as soon as you get it, but OS has said he's on borrowed time. He's already suffered through these abscesses and his sinuses as well as the other ailments OS was talking about.

Sure he's healthier NOW, but he's going to get sick again and everyone is going to go through this again, including him with the sickness and discomfort.

Why make him suffer through it again so you can scrape a couple of more days with "your best friend", whom you're going to put through the pain and anguish?

KBK

It's all about the balance of quality of life and the suffering. I think it's a crazy response to say that because it probably will get to the stage that OS might have to intervene that you should just get it over with now. I've had the flu and felt like crap for a while, I wouldn't have been impressed if someone came through and decided to end my suffering for me. 

Everyone/thing feels rough every so often for whatever reason. We shouldn't go about killing them unless it's clear that the animal is not going to get better and the pain is overwhelming any positive aspects he might find to sticking around.

People seem very quick to want to put animals down. If my dog still comes to the park with me and plays games then I think he's doing ok. Might not be fighting fit or 100% comfortable all the time but absolutely worth keeping around if even for just another day.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 8:59am
Ah ok.

KBK

And FYI, cancer masses and abscesses and not being able to move around are not "flu".

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 13 January 2013 at 9:00am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 10:31am
I am old, I have a cancer, there are days I feel like '....', and there is quite a bit of pain associated with my conditions. I can n o longer 'run' or play softball, sitting for long periods can result in another bllod clot and potential stroke, my diabetes is totally out of control (200units insulin a day) But then there are days I feel great, bang around on my motorcycles, used to play hockey, romp the pastures with the 'troops' (dogs). And then the next day don't feel like getting out of bed. The VA Doc's as well as a private Doc state it is going to get nothing but worse, so what are my options.
So the wife should put me down under her consideration of my pain and suffering? (and as I joke, if you do you can then get your boat...)

I am not going to live forever, and neither is Beau, but we do understand what we are going through, and I feel we are doing it together. If and when he goes a piece of me will go with him. Till you get here, hard to understand.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:34pm
The difference is it is YOUR choice to carry on. You can make your thoughts known to others.

I have seen too many "animal lovers" who are "caring" for old and infirm animals that are way way past their sell by date. Just because modern medical technology can keep an animal alive for years and years does not mean it should always be done. It does eventually get to a point where you are not prolonging it's life but preventing it's death.

If, as you say, these are just speed bumps on an otherwise flat road I take back what I said.

If they are 100' vertical cliffs that the animal needs to be hauled over with heavy lifting gear then I don't.

I have not studied animal physiology but I don't believe much of that "animals feel pain differently" stuff. They may express pain differently but I have seen injured animals that act very much like injured people. Simply because they can not express their pain in the same way does not mean they don't feel the same.

KBK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic