FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 8:16pm
Now you just have to fight him after being OCed.  Did you guys fight him with PR-24s?  If you haven't gotten into them yet, the white "styrofoam" PR-24s still hurt like a mother.  
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Now you just have to fight him after being OCed.  Did you guys fight him with PR-24s?  If you haven't gotten into them yet, the white "styrofoam" PR-24s still hurt like a mother.  
We used the white styrofoam/plastic core PR-24s for both open and "closed" techniques. 

I just took the licks that were coming to me and swung for the fences at the biceps/triceps center mass.

I think our OC course is just knee/shin strikes. baton strikes, and cuffing.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:39pm
Wooow.

So, our DIs gave our deadweight guy a real going over last night. Not physically, or even completely yelling at him, but they broke it down for him really, REALLY well.
Had they given this speech to him on the first day, you could chalk it up to the Day 1 psychological terror that you'd normally expect. But 6 weeks in, its different.

Had they given ME this speech last night, I couldn't show up tomorrow night. There's no way. It was everything from making it abundantly clear that he doesn't belong there, to pointing out that HE is making the platoon suffer constantly for his transgressions.

If he shows up tomorrow I will have lost every shred of respect for this guy that I had left, and be completely pissed off at him for not getting even the most blatant message that could be given to him, knowing full well that we're going to keep paying for him until he either washes out academically or god forbid hangs on until the end.

And they did this all right in front of the rest of us. It was more brutal than anything they did to any of us on day 1.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 1:33pm
Blanket Party. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 2:50pm
Its beyond the point where we want him to shape up. We want him gone, and I'm pretty close to endorsing any physical suggestions that someone wants to offer.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:06pm
Bumping this again.

So our main 'deadweight' guy has left us. After the reaming that he got from the DIs that night, he didn't come back.
We are on the verge of losing one more to academics, which I won't mind. This guy's nowhere near as bad as the first one was, but he's clearly the weak link right now.

We're in the midst of a ton of classroom stuff right now, which is dry as hell. The physical stuff isn't as bad anymore, the conditioning is working, and where as I started our 3-5 mile nightly jogs somewhere in the middle of the pack, I now finish behind the front runners and the instructor. In fact there's a group of about 5 or 6 of us who are constantly having to 'wagon wheel' to go back and pick up the slower runners.

I love it. I've never been in this good a shape in my life, and I've got a goal in mind. My last PT test was a success, and I've done well enough on both exams that I'm in no danger of flunking out to academics. Literally, my only MAJOR fear right now is the 80% I need to get on our Emergency medical exam later on in the class- because I've never been exposed to it at all.

That's all for now, I'm in the middle of notebook transcription- typing up all of my handwritten notes for the week and prepping them for handing in tomorrow night.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:34pm
We're in firearms this week. The simulator is pretty freaking sweet.

After a day on the simulator/doing dry runs, I'm terrified of being around our weak link with live ammunition involved, but I'm really excited to be out of the range for 3 more days.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

After a day on the simulator/doing dry runs, I'm terrified of being around our weak link with live ammunition involved, but I'm really excited to be out of the range for 3 more days.

<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre">     </span>

Did they use a FATS system? The one I did a month ago had machine set up that shot me in the shin with a rubber pellet. I couldn't get myself in the mood to hide behind a plastic box as "cover".
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Did they use a FATS system? The one I did a month ago had machine set up that shot me in the shin with a rubber pellet. I couldn't get myself in the mood to hide behind a plastic box as "cover".

We did the fats awhile ago, I got super excited and yelled/drew down on a little girl, though she does get out of the car with a shotgun later.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 8:59pm

We had it activated, but I didn't get shot. My dad went through the same BLET program(and actually went through it with another cadet's dad, which is kind of cool), so they kind of threw me some more complex ones during mine just to mess with me, and I think they took it easy on me with the FATS because of that. 3/5 of my scenarios were ones with another officer being held hostage in one way or another.  I did have to shoot a really really hot girl in one of the others though, that was weird.

We finished up qualifying tonight. Pretty sure I lost "Top Gun" by one second in the tie breaker.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 2:17am

We had it activated, but I didn't get shot. My dad went through the same BLET program(and actually went through it with another cadet's dad, which is kind of cool), so they kind of threw me some more complex ones during mine just to mess with me, and I think they took it easy on me with the FATS because of that. 3/5 of my scenarios were ones with another officer being held hostage in one way or another.  I did have to shoot a really really hot girl in one of the others though, that was weird.

We finished up qualifying tonight. Pretty sure I lost "Top Gun" by one second in the tie breaker.

Weirdly erotic?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 1:05pm
How's it hanging Reb?

We just got through driving this week. Really, really long days, but it was a blast. Easily the most fun I've had so far. 9 weeks down, 7 to go.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 2:01pm

How's it hanging Reb?

We just got through driving this week. Really, really long days, but it was a blast. Easily the most fun I've had so far. 9 weeks down, 7 to go.

We're down to 28 from 40, and we're doing a lot of classroom stuff at the moment. In about 2 weeks we start defensive tactics, and its a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere than what we're dealing with now.

The only real problem I have is one of our DIs doesn't communicate with the directors, and contradicts directives we get from them, then reflects his failure to talk to them or clarify orders back on us. If he walks in the door for uniform inspections, we're going to get yelled at.

If any of the other ones are there, we might get gigged for infractions, but its not the 'end of the world' yelling that the other guy does.

I know it seems stupid to complain about being yelled by a DI, since...well, that's their job- but there's a lot of 'chicken-crap' that he pulls, even two months into the game.
We're constantly getting paperwork back for spelling errors or grammatical mistakes. Problem is, the paperwork is graded by different people each time- so what one person sees as okay this time, gets marked as a mistake next time...and each time you get it handed back to you, you have to do a handwritten copy of the assignment.

Case in point:

-We were given a quiz on a section of the rules and regulations - Write the section verbatim.
-The section includes a comma after a certain word, which I stuck in...since, you know...its there.
-I lose half a point on the quiz because the 'comma doesn't belong there.'
-I rewrite the quiz, leaving out the comma as directed, and add my handwritten copy.
-Paperwork comes back for the missing comma, now I get to retype it, and add TWO handwritten copies.

....they did this to at least three other people in the class.

Aside from that- all is well. I don't mind the physical stuff and have gotten my run time down to well below what I need it to be to graduate. I've cliqued with a few of the other older guys in there, and we run together and sort of help each other through some of the other stuff.
I'm glad I'm doing it, and have long ago hit that point where I said "I ain't gonna quit" - but man, if I DONT happen to make it through, I don't know if I could go through it all over again!

Glad you're heading to the home stretch- I almost wish we were doing a full time schedule, we'd be nearly finished by now. Instead, its just dragging along painfully.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 2:24pm

FATS is a blast.

We had one (one of the early ones) when I was still in that allowed a 13 man squad with M4s, and a (stationary/disabled) HMMWV-mounted M60 to engage an incoming squad.  It had a 180* screen, surround sound, and the little puffs of air to simulate incoming fire.  (No pellets though.)

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I know it seems stupid to complain about being yelled by a DI, since...well, that's their job- but there's a lot of 'chicken-crap' that he pulls, even two months into the game.

As a moderator, you should know better.  The correct forum-friendly term is "poultry poo."  LOL
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 2:40pm
....That's still more friendly a term than the one I wanted to use. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

How's it hanging Reb?

We're down to 28 from 40, and we're doing a lot of classroom stuff at the moment. In about 2 weeks we start defensive tactics, and its a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere than what we're dealing with now.

We're down to 9. Our problem child finally got removed during driving. 

SCAT is when they started to let up on stuff on us as well. We still get gigged for some uniform stuff, which is annoying, but it's not so bad.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:03am
We lost a guy to academics a few weeks ago, and it just so happened that his exit was the most humiliating thing I've ever witnessed.

A few of us got called to the director's office (I had a bit of an issue with police contact the night before) and this guy was one of them. The rest of the class went to the training room to get ready for a gear inspection. They school circled, and waited for those of us in the office to come back.
I got called first, got a minor ass chewing, and sent back to the room.

Well, this guy who failed the test (this was his second failure) was the last one called into the office, and therefore the last one back to the training room. He was dismissed while he was in there. The poor bastard had to come into the room, walk across it in front of everyone, pick up his gear bag, about face, and leave the room....with everyone looking on. There wasn't anyone who didn't feel sorry for him.

He was our last dismissal.

The one before that was our real dead-weight guy, and since then, even though there's 28 of us left, there's no real anchors.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 12:34pm
I finally got my date. Mid April I head off to Depot for six months of full time training. I'll be part of a troop of 24 candidates. In one of those bizarre small world things, a guy from the other end of the country who I did my infantry sergeant's course will be in my troop as well. I can't wait to get started. Big smile
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 10:32pm
Why did you have a run in with the cops Reb?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I finally got my date. Mid April I head off to Depot for six months of full time training. I'll be part of a troop of 24 candidates. In one of those bizarre small world things, a guy from the other end of the country who I did my infantry sergeant's course will be in my troop as well. I can't wait to get started. Big smile

Congrats, Bri!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic