FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

USAF.....how are you making out?

Could be better, could be worse. Academically I'm doing alright. A- average, but I should have been studying my stuff to get top grades. Class has been dropping pretty rapidly. Started with 16, lost 2 to tests, two quitters, and one guy(a really good guy, probably my best friend in the academy) had to med drop because he found out he had testicular cancer.

We got a new PT instructor this week, who was supposed to be our main instructor, but couldn't until now. He absolutely killed us, especially after a pretty lax week last week. Others struggle more than me though, so I try not to complain too much.

We continue to suffer from our bad egg, who refuses to quit.(Failure to train isn't grounds for a DQ, as long as she is "trying")  She continues to curse us out, #)(@#, moan, etc. Private meetings with PT instructors haven't gotten to her. Actually planning on speaking to the director about her tomorrow.  We have four tests Monday, hoping she fails two and gets DQ'd. 

Being that I'm on a full time schedule, the end of tomorrow marks the 25% mark of my academy. Today we started writing citations, and it's one of the first times I've really felt like I was learning something applicable/practical. We start SCAT next week and from then on out we rarely go more than a few days without doing something active/practical.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 31 January 2013 at 6:18pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 7:40pm
well done!
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Are you guys required to ride the tazer? If so please take video for us. Oh and the OC exposure.
I rode the lightning, but never got the video.  The trainers enjoyed the different types of screams each volunteer produced.  I exhaled completely before the last "Taser!" call was made.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 8:15pm

Are you guys required to ride the tazer? If so please take video for us. Oh and the OC exposure.

I won't ride the lightning until I get back to my hiring agency. The cartridges are $80 a pop + the cost for the instruction, so most melting pot academies don't offer it here. 

I will get CS/OS certified in April though. I'll upload the video when I get it.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 8:58pm
Tazer training is something that a department decides to send people to, and you don't get it in the academies. Our OC comes in April or May, I'm not sure.

Our 'slacker' seems to be completely oblivious to the fact that he's a screw up. He's really non-confrontational, and bounces along with everything with sort of a detached indifference that has me actually concerned for his mental capacities. Nobody in the class can picture this guy as a police officer, and there's not enough training in the world that can change it. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:48pm
Reb, do ya'll do the POPAT?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:08am
I don't think we do it in the academy, but the agility tests for different counties or agencies may incorporate something like that.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:48am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

Skin hats. 

YES! SKIN HAT IS BACK!
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 7:39am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I won't ride the lightning until I get back to my hiring agency. The cartridges are $80 a pop + the cost for the instruction, so most melting pot academies don't offer it here. 

I will get CS/OS certified in April though. I'll upload the video when I get it.
They shouldn't have to actually hit you with it unless you want to.  Only one person was selected to take the barbs.  The rest of us had the alligator clips attached to the shoulder and hip for the ride.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 8:34am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

They shouldn't have to actually hit you with it unless you want to.  Only one person was selected to take the barbs.  The rest of us had the alligator clips attached to the shoulder and hip for the ride.

It's not required in NC either, but most everyone does for 2 reasons.(here, at least)

1. The DAs that teach a couple of our classes highly suggest it. They claim, whether correctly or not, that having experienced it first hand can be an extremely effective defense if we ever shoot someone that takes our taser/has one of their own.

2. No one wants to be "that guy" who didn't do it in front of their coworkers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

It's not required in NC either, but most everyone does for 2 reasons.(here, at least)

1. The DAs that teach a couple of our classes highly suggest it. They claim, whether correctly or not, that having experienced it first hand can be an extremely effective defense if we ever shoot someone that takes our taser/has one of their own.

2. No one wants to be "that guy" who didn't do it in front of their coworkers.
There was one guy in the group that I work with that was on the fence about doing it.  He decided it wasn't for him.  Then one of the females took the ride which basically shamed him into it.  I don't know how he did it, but he managed to take several long breaths during the ride so he could scream.  In any of the vids we saw, it was the females that took the hits the best.  It was the guys that screamed the most.  It was the same in our "hands on" experience.  You could tell she was in pain, but she never made a peep.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:02pm
From what I'm told, since it effects the muscles, the more heavily built you are, the worse it feels. It could explain why the women took it better than the guys did.

But that's just a hypothesis. I'm only going on what we've been told in class by instructors.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 6:39pm
We started SCAT today. Or, yesterday really, but we started on the mats today. 8 hours of strikes/pressure points/stuns and then an hour of penalty PT and I'm about dead.

Also, I died in PT today to create additional weight during the last half mile(we were already rotating people through on a litter). I would have rather been suffering through the PT than having to be carried by people. That SUCKS.

We lost another yesterday to tests. Still not the worthless girl though. Still time.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:03pm
Mechanics of arrest week was the worst for me. We got cuffed to the point our wrists were bleeding, and one of the ASP strikes we practiced kept knocking the skin off of my knuckles.

Just keep reminding yourself that in a few weeks they will be paying you to do some crazy stuff in a car that you probably won't get to do anywhere else.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:23pm

We started SCAT today. Or, yesterday really, but we started on the mats today. 8 hours of strikes/pressure points/stuns and then an hour of penalty PT and I'm about dead.

Also, I died in PT today to create additional weight during the last half mile(we were already rotating people through on a litter). I would have rather been suffering through the PT than having to be carried by people. That SUCKS.

We lost another yesterday to tests. Still not the worthless girl though. Still time.

They sprung another benchmark PT test on us last night after 3 hours of Procedural law classroom stuff.

Whilst changing for the test, I came to a realization.

I turn 30 three months before graduation, which lowers the bar for me for the PT test a bit. I no longer have to make the run in 11:59, but 12:24.
This never dawned on me, but I still plan on training for the lower bracket- especially after I made it 11:02 last night....which sort of took me by surprise.

We're up to 4 people who are bringing us down. Two are academic, so we don't get a lot of punishment for that, but the other two STILL show up late, forget paperwork, and generally screw up, and we pay for that....damn near every night.
The one major screw up was called out the other day by the instructors right in front of the rest of the class.

"Recruit <Name>, who sucks at everything else he does, and is the weakest one here managed to pass the PT test."

He's killing us, and he has no idea. The academy directors told our platoon leader that he needs to convince this screw up to quit. There's nobody in the platoon that would feel safe having this guy show up as backup, and nobody wants to pair with him when we do the physical stuff.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Mechanics of arrest week was the worst for me. We got cuffed to the point our wrists were bleeding, and one of the ASP strikes we practiced kept knocking the skin off of my knuckles.

Just keep reminding yourself that in a few weeks they will be paying you to do some crazy stuff in a car that you probably won't get to do anywhere else.

Really not looking forward to cuffs tomorrow or Thursday after we did strikes today. My forearms are unbelievably sore from doing them.

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

We're up to 4 people who are bringing us down. Two are academic, so we don't get a lot of punishment for that, but the other two STILL show up late, forget paperwork, and generally screw up, and we pay for that....damn near every night. 
The one major screw up was called out the other day by the instructors right in front of the rest of the class. 

"Recruit <Name>, who sucks at everything else he does, and is the weakest one here managed to pass the PT test."

He's killing us, and he has no idea. The academy directors told our platoon leader that he needs to convince this screw up to quit. There's nobody in the platoon that would feel safe having this guy show up as backup, and nobody wants to pair with him when we do the physical stuff. 

Sounds like our anchors could be brother sister.  Today she forgot her DUTY BELT.(Seems like that'd be pretty high up on a person's checklist each morning headed to a police academy, but what do I know) She was the reason we got our 3 mile litter carry today too. I keep telling myself to not talk about her, complain about her, etc., but she is probably the worse human being I've ever come into contact with that wasn't some type of hard drug addict. 

It's nice to know that every academy has one of THOSE people though. Makes me feel like less of a jerk for disliking her so much.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 9:41am
Reb and USAF, I think you guys need to simply start refusing to use these sad-sacks names and start calling them what they are. "dead weight" "gold bricker" "flunkie" or simple start calling them "Sobel" and refer them to the mutiny that took place in E company 501st PIR over the man of that name.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Reb and USAF, I think you guys need to simply start refusing to use these sad-sacks names and start calling them what they are. "dead weight" "gold bricker" "flunkie" or simple start calling them "Sobel" and refer them to the mutiny that took place in E company 501st PIR over the man of that name.

I spoke with the director yesterday morning about her and he said generally the same thing. We have basically cut her off completely from anything but responses required by the lessons. Between the two or three guys that have kind of acted like a "crutch" to her these last weeks silencing her out and DT beating EVERYONE's ass this week, she is at least showing some signs of cracking.

We got screamed at by our instructors today(who are not in on the cold shoulder decree) about how we are a team, because she lied and said one of the, formerly, crutch guys was "bullying" her. The instructors we have regularly(like for PT) know the truth, so it's not such a big deal. 

I'll take whatever PT beatings I need to if it means no officer will ever have his/her life on the line with this recruit as their backup.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:10am

I'll take whatever PT beatings I need to if it means no officer will ever have his/her life on the line with this recruit as their backup.

That's one way to look at it.
Our guy was ordered to keep a small notebook in his pocket for some reason, I didn't hear what it was exactly- but nobody else has to. It may be for the DIs to keep track of his list of screw ups..

Anyway, he it it for ONE DAY....and washed it with his uniform.
Then came to inspection with the washed up notebook still in his pocket- having made no effort to replace it with a new one.

And a month in, one of our other clowns didn't have her boots TIED.

I got ripped yesterday for my cover, the inside of the lining was 'frayed' and I was told it was the most 'unsatisfactory' in the platoon, and  it was thrown on the floor. Then the DI moved to the guy next to me, found a real problem with his cover...and he came back and APOLOGIZED to me- saying that mine actually wasn't so bad. LOL

We did manage to impress them with the results of our surprise PT exam monday night. 2/3 of the class passed all three components, and everyone improved their run time. They actually complimented us on it, and for one, the Director's address at the end of the night wasn't "Get your crap together you morons."

Progress is a wonderful thing, and I'm starting to enjoy it. All of it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 7:56pm
We fought the redman today. I did really, really well, but man does my face/head/right eye hurt right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic