Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:45pm
I lucked out and went through the academy during a time frame in which they didn't worry about PT everyday.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I'm three nights a week for 4 hours apiece, then all day Saturday. We run through to Mid July. You?

I figure in a few weeks, either the punishment will ease up as they focus less on weeding out the ones that don't belong there, and more on instruction, or if they don't lighten up a bit, I'll have gotten used to it, both mentally and physically.

Either way, I know the hard part is breaking through the first few weeks until we can get into the meat of the training. My goals are simple- make it through one day at a time.

Despite the physical stuff, I'm more worried about the academic- and I've been in a classroom for a large chunk of my life. Any cretin can be conditioned to do squats all day, but when it comes down to it, you either cut it or you don't when it comes time to take the exams.

Inspection is at 7:45 each morning, and we finish up about 1700-1800 each evening. We have to get dressed at the TC, so I'm basically there from 700-1800 every day. The bright side is we go M-F, plus one or two nights for firearms and a saturday for rapid deployment, until the end of April. Our state exam is May 3.

PT these first two days hasn't been bad for me yet. Leading up to the school though, I had heard it was a beast 3 days a week plus penalty stuff on T/Tr. We have an assessment tomorrow, so I guess I won't find out how bad it can be till Friday. Some stuff doesn't bother me, but the 3+ mile runs might kill me.

Academics will probably be where I have to work hard too. Our tests apparently kick way more people out than PT does, so we'll see. 

I had an idea the other day too, I'll shoot you a pm tomorrow when I get a chance to write it out.
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

What kind of shoes?

Asics Gel-Nimbus

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Worst part for me was my new, expensive running shoes really make my feet hurt. Before I speak too soon though, we have our first real inspection tomorrow.
Are you stretching properly? My daughter was complaining about her feet and back hurting really bad at the beginning of basketball season. She was blaming the shoes. Switched shoes and same problem. Spoke with the athletic trainer and my brother who is a PA at an Orthopedic group and he explained that lower back pain is often times from not stretching the hamstrings properly and foot pain is often associated with not stretching the calves properly. Gave her an intensive stretching routine and she is all good now.

I have to be religious about stretching my hamstrings or my lower back will ruin my life. I probably neglect stretching my calves before cardio though, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:27pm
Congrats, Reb. Keep us informed.

On a similar note, I got my call today from our federal police force giving me the congratulations, and that I am now only awaiting an exact course date. They run them starting roughly monthly, and I'll probably start late March or in April.

Once that happens, I'll be off to Regina, Saskatchewan for a full time six months program, living at the academy. I'll have most weekends off, though still living there. Once that's done they can post me literally anywhere in Canada. But hey- I got The Call. Police forces are damned hard to get into up here, and the money is actually really, really good. And the breadth of opportunities that the RCMP will offer me down the road is considerable. I'm pumped.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Congrats, Reb. Keep us informed.

On a similar note, I got my call today from our federal police force giving me the congratulations,

I do believe we have the makings of a TV show here folks! NY cop, Canadian Mountie! And now with USAF as the dog!

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:33pm
We got absolutely smoked today. I am close to death.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:58pm
SUCK IT UP COPPER!
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:12am

Its incredibly comforting to have someone I know going through the same thing.

We lost 3 recruits last night. Uniform inspections, close order drill, then our very first PT session. 1.3 mile run in the cold AFTER cycling through various calisthenics stations. This is after doing duck walks, and squats with gear bags over our heads the other day. My quads have been on fire for four days now.

I think we're starting to get into the 'training' next week, easing out of the 'ass kick' stage though. Our DIs are making up infractions at this point, like putting their thumb on your tie bar, then yelling at you for fingerprints.

There's still a few people in there who don't think the rules apply to them though and almost refuse to sound off when spoken to, and all I can think of is how we'd have a sock party a'la Full Metal Jacket if this was a full time, sleep in academy.

Good luck.

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 4:58pm
Make sure you do some intensive stretching - definitely will help keep you on top of the game as the ass-kicking continues.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 3:40pm
You and few others may have to have a, "Come to Jesus" talk with the dimwits that feel they are above the rules.  Ours was meeting at the flagpole in the parking lot.  Usually one "talking to" was enough.  If not, they might be next few to washout.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

You and few others may have to have a, "Come to Jesus" talk with the dimwits that feel they are above the rules.  Ours was meeting at the flagpole in the parking lot.  Usually one "talking to" was enough.  If not, they might be next few to washout.

Yep.  As my boss says, "Make them drink the kool-aid!"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Its incredibly comforting to have someone I know going through the same thing.

I know the feeling. Helps to keep pushing through it.

We lost 3 recruits last night. Uniform inspections, close order drill, then our very first PT session. 1.3 mile run in the cold AFTER cycling through various calisthenics stations. This is after doing duck walks, and squats with gear bags over our heads the other day. My quads have been on fire for four days now.

I think we're starting to get into the 'training' next week, easing out of the 'ass kick' stage though. Our DIs are making up infractions at this point, like putting their thumb on your tie bar, then yelling at you for fingerprints.

We have had that a few times too. "Lint" on uniforms, people supposedly leaving chairs out/hangers in the bathroom, etc. Sucks.  I still haven't gotten a hold on what our PT is going to be like. Supposedly our Wednesday was supposed to be pretty indicative of what PT is like, but a few of us stayed late yesterday and today to do some extra because the weakest member of the class destroys the quality of our runs.

There's still a few people in there who don't think the rules apply to them though and almost refuse to sound off when spoken to, and all I can think of is how we'd have a sock party a'la Full Metal Jacket if this was a full time, sleep in academy. 

I really really really wish our weak link was a guy. I think he'd get a come to Jesus meeting Monday morning. As it is, today the switch really got flipped between everyone trying to motivate her; most of us are just done trying to be positive to her, while a couple guys were TICKED. Having to stay in the front-leaning rest for long enough while the weak one walks to catch up will do that.

Good luck. 

You too, bud.

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Ironically enough, we were standing around our flagpole after PT when we had a meeting of some of the more squared away guys about the issue this evening.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 8:13pm
Sorry Reb, but that all sounds pretty idiotic and juvenile. These cats need to realize it's NOT the army, it's the police. Presumably they aren't dealing with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, but rather a bunch of intelligent, pretty mature adults who have an interest in serving their communities.

I see little value in that kind of B.S. when you're trying to train someone to intelligently and with care and discretion apply a nation's laws in a coercive manner against it's population. Those are tactics for training people to do things unthinkingly, which is the antithesis of what you want police to be.

Yeah, you need to teach drill, dress, and discipline, no argument there. But the screaming, the smudged tie bars, nonsense like that... I see exceedingly little value in that. I haven't even found this crap necessary for training soldiers in most circumstances.

You can ramp up a LOT of stress and exertion in people without it being transparently stupid.

Edited by brihard - 11 January 2013 at 8:14pm
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 12:24am
I'd agree, if it was bothering me to the point where I thought I'd up and quit. They take the definition of 'paramilitary' very seriously.

I think the whole point of that stuff this week was to find the people who might be there for the wrong reasons, and to weed out anyone who can't take some stress. And to also force us to pay attention to detail. All in all, I'm not really that worked up about it no matter how insanely over the top it might be.

There's no question that these guys are hard. Its reputed to be one of the hardest academies on our part of the state.

We re-did the PT test tonight, the one that I passed a month or so ago to get INTO the academy.
I missed the mile and a half run time by ONE SECOND- but that's after a week of constant nonsense, and it was cold and raining. Luckily, this was just a benchmark, and it doesn't really count for anything.
The fact that they spent all week with us holding out gear bags over our heads, doing duck walks and 'smurf jacks' (you don't want to know) and they only managed to add about 4 seconds to my run time is sort of heartening. In six months, after the workouts and physical training, I think I can make the graduation requirements now.

Besides, I've never been challenged at this level in my whole life. If they want to give me hell and push my ass to do something, so be it. Excessive or not, It helps me paint a picture of who I am, beyond the squishy wuss that fixed computers in a previous life.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 8:12am
USAF, "Come To Jesus" meetings aren't about encouraging people to do better. They're about telling them that under no uncertain circumstances will you tolerate their continued ineptitude and that they'd better make a visible and unmistakable improvement immediately or GTFO. Everyone in the class needs to tell her point blank that her inability to get it done in a reasonable time is hurting YOUR performance. That's why the DI's have you do those forward leans. They want you guys to band together and either get her to improve, or get her to quit. It builds the reality that you can't have people who can't do the job serving with you because it compromises everyone's safety and ability to do the job correctly.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

USAF, "Come To Jesus" meetings aren't about encouraging people to do better. They're about telling them that under no uncertain circumstances will you tolerate their continued ineptitude and that they'd better make a visible and unmistakable improvement immediately or GTFO. Everyone in the class needs to tell her point blank that her inability to get it done in a reasonable time is hurting YOUR performance. That's why the DI's have you do those forward leans. They want you guys to band together and either get her to improve, or get her to quit. It builds the reality that you can't have people who can't do the job serving with you because it compromises everyone's safety and ability to do the job correctly.

Oh, I know. I meant that if she were a male, her "talk" would be a lot different. She's already gotten(from us and the instructors), everything from encouragement to the "your partners are dying on the side of the road and you're walking."  It just doesn't sink in. She doesn't want to even be a cop. She's just doing it as a stepping stone to forensics or lab work.

That doesn't make us feel any better about it, of course. I'd wager she's pretty close to just having people turn on her majorly.

We're a pretty tight class, other than her, so until she gets it or quits, she's just a rallying cry for the rest of us.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 1:37am
I had someone in my class like that, she was a clout baby from a clout town.

They let her graduate, then fired her at the ceremony.

boom, she had no business being the police.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 12:25pm
We've lost 5 so far, and there's two hangers on that are like stubborn dingleberries. They won't drop off, but they've honestly go no business being there.

Our sessions start at 6pm. Most of us elect to get there at 5, so we can square away uniforms, submit paperwork, and get everything set before the DIs start mashing us to teeny little bits, and our classroom stuff starts.

We've got two people that show up at 5 to six, which balls up the paperwork submissions since it all has to be handed in alphabetically, their uniform isn't square, and its throwing us all down a hole.

We had one guy say 'thanks dude' to a police officer who helped him unlock his car before class....the academy director got wind of that and was PISSED that the recruit didn't show more respect than that.
hell, we didn't even have a uniform inspection last night, we were smoked early and hard until class room instruction, then they ran us for an hour and a half.

One of the other recruits grabbed the habitual late-comer, and I think he gave him the run around last night.
These dopes are claiming issues with family and work, thats why they can't square themselves away. Well, a good number of us have families, and every one in the class works a job atop of academy. There's not much of an excuse. If your job demands keep you from doing whats necessary for the academy, maybe this isn't the right time for you to be there.

.....but no. They continue to screw up and are really getting the rest of us run through the ringer. Simple nonsense too, like if you're going to be late or miss class, you're supposed to call both the academy directors and your squad leaders, as well as email them AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. We have people just not show up on occasion.

We get beat up for that too.

I need to shave 41 seconds off of my run time to graduate, and that's worrying me a little. But there's time to get that done.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 12:45pm
Skin hats. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:55pm
I'm not going to start a new thread, so I'll resurrect this old thing.

We're a month in and I'm still alive. I did very well on our first written exam, and my academics are on the whole pretty decent.

Physically, even after only a month, I'm a different person. There's no limping or whimpering when we get done with a PT session, and I'm running our 3, 4, 5 mile jogs while staying near the front of the pack.

All that is pretty good, but we're in rough shape as a platoon. There are a couple of habitual screw ups that are STILL bringing us down. We're waiting for them to fail out academically or on demerits, but in the meantime we're taking severe beatings for their transgressions. Its to the point where the academy directors called the DIs on the carpet for not having us into shape by now. Since 'you know what' rolls downhill, the DIs are taking it upon themselves to smoke the daylights out of us every spare second we have. They'll walk in at the start of class, and rather than do a uniform inspection, they'll just yell "On the deck!" and we get out asses beat as the nimrods who screwed up this time are pulled to the front and we thank them as we work.

And its usually the same ones. One guy is really, really bad. He doesn't belong there. I'm not a stellar recruit, but I'm not at the bottom of the pack either. This one dude though....he STILL doesn't sound off when he's spoken to, he forgets his PT gear at home, he fails exams, he doesn't hand in paperwork....he's a mess, and we're getting creamed for it.

When we actually HAVE class or PT time though, I rather enjoy it. I like learning new things, and I like the fact that I've never worked this hard for anything in my life....I just can't stand the fact that we're expending so much energy on these cretins this late in the game.

We can't really beat the hell out of them, but good lord I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed every single one of our minds.

USAF.....how are you making out?

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:26pm
You could get some of the better performers together and take the screw ups under your wing.  Help them out, send them reminders, study with them.  The worst that can happen is they continue to screwup.  The best thing that can happen is they catch on and you don't get smoked as much.  You might even earn some brownie points with the DIs if you can straighten them out.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic