FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academy Update
    Posted: 07 January 2013 at 6:53am
I'm not really supposed to talk about it much, but with the support you guys have given me, I feel I owe you at least an idea of what's going on thus far.

I survived 1st day. There was nothing fun, exciting, or even good about it. It was all day hell both physically and mentally, I hated every second of it, and its not expected to get easier any time soon.

We had one quit, we had another get physically ill, and a few come close to passing out.

I can't give any details, but despite it all, it never even occurred to me to ring the bell and drop out. I recognize a few people from mt PT test, so its nice to know a couple of people.

All in all though, its pretty much what I expected of the program. Most of our DIs are former military, and they delight in concocting spectacular torments. I know the point of these tortures and exercises, so it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. My trick is to pick a spot on the wall across the room from me and think about it.

How did it get there? Would it come off? Is someone going to have to clean it?

At any rate, it does promise to be a long six months, but as of now, I don't have any plans on dropping out. I'm not saying I WONT fail, because nothing's certain until the end- but as it looks, I think i can hack it.

Again gentlemen, thank you.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:00am
Mind over Matter, if you don't mind then it don't matter. They make it as tough as possible because chances are you will experience much worse. Look at it like this, at least they will not smack the crap out of you...
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:06am
At least it's not some skank with meth mouth trying to bite and scratch you while offering you some coochy to let her loose.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

At least it's not some skank with meth mouth trying to bite and scratch you while offering you some coochy to let her loose.

Wait..... You're saying that's a job detractor or a job perk?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Wait..... You're saying that's a job detractor or a job perk?
Blech. Man, I still catch an episode of Cops every once in awhile and it never ceases to amaze me what guys will pay money to stick it in.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:50pm
Thumbs Up Atta boy Reb.

I started today today officially. Our first day wasn't as bad as yours. It was more of an orientation day with PT at the end. Tomorrow is when we flip over to boot camp mode.

Decent group of people in my academy, but after our PT today(which was pretty damn easy), I'd be shocked if either female makes it.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:37pm
If you want this as bad as you indicate, then you will make it, no doubt about it.  You have some good reasons to accomplish this; you want it, your family is behind you, and a bunch of paintball nerds believe that you can make it and supported you.  Good luck!
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:40pm
Good Luck Reb! Smile
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 9:03pm
Would they kick you out if you became too ill? Like if you get the flu or something of that nature that will put you to the sidelines for a minute?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Thumbs Up Atta boy Reb.

I started today today officially. Our first day wasn't as bad as yours. It was more of an orientation day with PT at the end. Tomorrow is when we flip over to boot camp mode.

Decent group of people in my academy, but after our PT today(which was pretty damn easy), I'd be shocked if either female makes it.

How'd you do?

Our session tonight was amazingly awful. 4 hours of some of the most creative pain infliction ever. These DIs are GOOD at what they do.  One of our recruits learned that you don't ask them 'Why?" when they tell you something. I think he might be dead now.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Ace_Of_Spades Ace_Of_Spades wrote:

Would they kick you out if you became too ill? Like if you get the flu or something of that nature that will put you to the sidelines for a minute?

Probably not, we've had a couple of guys wander off and barf, and we are allowed to miss 'x' amount of instructional time for whatever reasons.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 1:27am
Our summer camp brings in personal trainers once every summer, always the day after the last night we're allowed out before the kids get there. Vomit galore. I love it, newbies show up hung over, returners tamp it down a bit the night before, veterans get nostalgic and do it still intoxicated. Still nothing compared to some good ones on PI. Combat PT was the best, quarter-mile bear crawls, frog-hops, fireman's carry, pistol belt drag through sawgrass and gnats, beating each other up in between.  Once the endorphins kick in it's all fun. Enjoy it.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Thumbs Up Atta boy Reb.

How'd you do?

Our session tonight was amazingly awful. 4 hours of some of the most creative pain infliction ever. These DIs are GOOD at what they do.  One of our recruits learned that you don't ask them 'Why?" when they tell you something. I think he might be dead now.

I did alright. We only did PT for about an hour, and it was just towers.(run 4 flights up, pushups, run down, situps) It sucked doing extra pushups/front leaning rest for when the girls held us back, but other than that I was prepared. They got a lot of the "Your partners could be up here dying" speech, but I don't think it sank in...

Worst part for me was my new, expensive running shoes really make my feet hurt. Before I speak too soon though, we have our first real inspection tomorrow.

Are you going everyday?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:17am
What kind of shoes?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:17am
I'm three nights a week for 4 hours apiece, then all day Saturday. We run through to Mid July. You?

I figure in a few weeks, either the punishment will ease up as they focus less on weeding out the ones that don't belong there, and more on instruction, or if they don't lighten up a bit, I'll have gotten used to it, both mentally and physically.

Either way, I know the hard part is breaking through the first few weeks until we can get into the meat of the training. My goals are simple- make it through one day at a time.

Despite the physical stuff, I'm more worried about the academic- and I've been in a classroom for a large chunk of my life. Any cretin can be conditioned to do squats all day, but when it comes down to it, you either cut it or you don't when it comes time to take the exams.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:26am

Worst part for me was my new, expensive running shoes really make my feet hurt. Before I speak too soon though, we have our first real inspection tomorrow.
Are you stretching properly? My daughter was complaining about her feet and back hurting really bad at the beginning of basketball season. She was blaming the shoes. Switched shoes and same problem. Spoke with the athletic trainer and my brother who is a PA at an Orthopedic group and he explained that lower back pain is often times from not stretching the hamstrings properly and foot pain is often associated with not stretching the calves properly. Gave her an intensive stretching routine and she is all good now.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Either way, I know the hard part is breaking through the first few weeks until we can get into the meat of the training. My goals are simple- make it through one day at a time.

No different from boot camp at Parris Island or any other training base...

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:47am
Are you guys required to ride the tazer? If so please take video for us. Oh and the OC exposure.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 2:03pm
If NY is anything like the DC academy, you shouldn't have much of a problem in the classroom end of things. I have a buddy who was a lawyer and then went DCMPD when all the legal jobs started disappearing. He said in the DC academy that when it came to the legal end of things, it was way easier than law school as you focus on the simple black and white. You aren't there to interpret the law, simply to enforce it. Did person X do action Y? If yes, proceed to booking, if no, send them on their way. He said it's a lot more of just remember what the law states, not whether someone was technically doing something or not, that's up to the courts to figure out.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 2:49pm
I need to amend that- its more than passing the test that I'm worried about, all of our handwritten notes need to be transcribed into type, and fit into a specific format, to be collected, reviewed, and graded on a bi-weekly basis. Its like 30% of the academic grade.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic