FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paintball?! What's that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:02pm
Kayback, that is crazy money. I now spend about 500 balls for a full game. I used a case for the final 5 games this season, besides playing pistol is what I shoot the most. So initial investment pays for itself over time.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Ouch. I've been interested in those for a short time and only really looked into it now.

They retail for around R5000-8000. Think roughly R10k with conversion components!

The Griffon is R800, the 98 is around R1,200, the A5 is around R2,000.

True the X7 electronic is R4,000 and the Crossover is R5,000 but that is still a LOT of money to drop on a marker.

KBK

Jebus dude! I know things are more expensive over there due to conversion rates, transport fees, tariffs, giraffe insurance, etc, but $1200 or so for a mag-fed paintball marker?!?! Ouch! Given conversion rates, the crossover is easily $150 or so more expensive in the RSA than it is in the states!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 8:18pm
Kayback, 

Did you get that Apex and try it out yet? 

I thought of you when I posted this video! I had my Apex at 4 clicks and nailed my friend at 250 feet away! FIRST shot! 

http://blip.tv/trailsofdoom/if-i-see-you-i-can-hit-you-tippmann-a-5-long-range-shooting-250-feet-6515953
They tremble at my name...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 12:28am
FE, I've never been the fan of Apex's that you are but I finally found a use for one that I like.*

I'm will be too busy to post a pic for a while so I'll just describe:  Towards the end of last season I used a J&J adapter to mount an original Apex tip on the end of the stock barrel for my modified** (original) SL 68 II.  I didn't get to play with it because of velocity issues.  But I have installed a stronger spring that I acquired at Ace Hardware and am now looking forward to trying it out next year.

*Oddly enough, I'm not being a smart butt here.

**The only major modification is the ball detent I installed because I detest "roll out."
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 4:03am
Didn't get it and haven't had time to try it out yet. Maybe next month. :( Just don't get times for hobbies with a 2 year old and working shifts.

My 98 is still broken from the game, I haven't even had time to repair the ball detent yet.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:29am
Yeah, having small kids puts a serious crimp in your "fun" time... Enjoy it though, as they grow up SO fast! 

Mack, you should have tried it with the lower velocity! My brother in law plays with his Apex  1 shooting 170-220fps... As he likes getting a ton of shots per tank, and with backspin you can still shoot normal distances with way less velocity, as the paint "hovers" when spinning. 

Just remember to set it at 4 clicks (on the Apex 2, 5 clicks on the Apex 1) and leave it, make sure it is perfectly lined up too, as if it is twisted one way or the other it will curve. (and if you don't hold the gun straight it will curve too...) It takes some getting used to, but once you are used to it, the shots you can get are incredible. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 11:07am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Yeah, having small kids puts a serious crimp in your "fun" time... Enjoy it though, as they grow up SO fast! 

Mack, you should have tried it with the lower velocity! My brother in law plays with his Apex  1 shooting 170-220fps... As he likes getting a ton of shots per tank, and with backspin you can still shoot normal distances with way less velocity, as the paint "hovers" when spinning. 

I was shooting right at 200 fps before the new spring went in.  I was getting amazingly straight shots but really wanted the extra velocity to ensure breaks.  I can always turn it down or put the old spring back in - I saved it; heck, I save all old parts/pieces just in case.  (I have a friend that refers to my parts bin as the "box of cool antique paintball stuff.")  Anyway, even with the paint keeping it's velocity longer out of the Apex due to the Magnus Effect, I still wanted more.  I do intend to experiment with velocities until I find the best one.  (I.e. the original 98 flatlines liked the mid 270's while the first F/Ls for the A5 seemed to work best at mid 260s.)

Just remember to set it at 4 clicks (on the Apex 2, 5 clicks on the Apex 1) and leave it, make sure it is perfectly lined up too, as if it is twisted one way or the other it will curve. (and if you don't hold the gun straight it will curve too...) It takes some getting used to, but once you are used to it, the shots you can get are incredible.

4 clicks sounds like a good place to start; I think for my initial experiments I just centered it, so I'll have to see what that works out to.  As for tipping the marker, I don't think that should be a problem as I learned not to do that when using a F/L when they first came out.  (Except when I did it on purpose to annoy opponents with curve balls.)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 11:34am
You want a brittle paintball. One that you can toss up into the air and when it falls it breaks. That is perfect for long range shooting. As even if it is flying really slow, it will still break if it hits something hard. I get breaks on people all the time, but I am REALLY picky about my paint. I've been shooting some amazing stuff lately that I got from a local field as "seconds" from Draxxus, so I'm not sure what it is exactly...

Which stinks because they sold me their last box... And this is the best paint I have EVER shot. I had some 300+ foot kills with it. Got one guy right in the chest and it broke (and we were playing in cold so he had about 3 layers on!) Got another in his hopper (it broke, and is on one of my videos). 

Let me see if I have a picture of it... 

You want a glossy shelled paint, that has NO visible seam and isn't dimpled at all. It should be hard to break if you try to break it between your fingers, but will break if tossed in the air and down onto concrete. That is perfect! I used xball scenario for years, and lately I was using empire munitions, but the local stuff was lousy the last time I needed paint, so I went to my local field (I have a field about a mile from my house... I really need to play there sometime...) and got a bag... Then went back after shooting it and got all they had left. 

oops... huge pic...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 29 January 2013 at 1:05pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 9:23am
Finally fixed the 98. Took more tries than it should have.

Put it all together for a little test run and blew a bottle o-ring. Of course I don't have any spare.......

KBK
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 1:28pm
Ok, I've fixed the O ring, I've regassed the bottle. I purchased the Apex at an even better discount (still the APEX 1), shop display model. The last one in the shop.

Lets see if it works better than the Nightstick.

Still trying to find brittle paint. The almost rubber like stuff I have probably isn't going to cut it :p

The wife loves the APEX and wants to shoot it soon :) Yay me?

On a side note I noticed the inside of the 98 was rough as hell. Is there any advantage to be gained for polishing the insides of the shell?

KBK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 1:43pm
yes, polish those internals! I use the steel wool method personally, but doing that alone makes a big difference. 

And if you have had this for a long time, go ahead and clean out your powertube... Most issues people have with their Tippmanns is a result of not cleaning/lubing their powertube... There are videos online that show how to do it, and it is pretty easy. Between polishing your internals, and cleaning your powertube, you can get pretty consistent shots even with Co2. 

Apex's shoot best around 280fps. If you go more than that  they start to fly strange...

Here are some clips that I finally got in a video from this season. I finished this last night. Closest I have ever gotten to the flag WITHOUT getting it!... Got popped by a sniper laying in wait!

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 04 February 2013 at 1:48pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 2:48pm
Sweet. Thanks once again.

KBK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic