FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold
    Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:34am
Several days in single digits. Last night -7*F. Mancave water lines froze, they are against windside wall, draft comes up between foundation and wood framing. Options thaw and deal with split pipes, or turn off water and hope for spring.
Still running fire place with wood, and now the coal stove in basement with coal (1ton $325) single softball sized chunk burns for hours and stove is glowing now as it should, wood was not hot enough. Lowered the scoop and the house is toasty as the air ducts are still there and doing better than furnace vents.

Dug out momma's car yesterday, fun, under a drift by barn, hens are freezing in coop, the heat lamps are not cutting it, ducks the same, the goats are doing fine with no heat just a lot of haybales and a 'hut' of bales in their house. The wild turkeys are up in the tree by the back porch, all night, and they come down the minute light comes on in kitchen sitting on porch waiting for momma to throw feed.

Got to seal kitchen sliding door, the slot between doors a wind tunnel of cold air. Sealed all basement windows, got the one 'vent' window cracked in wash room. Flurries right now, stuff frozen solid, ruts in road are massive, ice all over. The towns road grader which plows road in ditch on Cty Rd A, still.

Gotta love country living.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:41am
Sounds rough.  How old is the house?
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:13pm
-37 here, -34 faren .  for non-metric noobs.
Santa Chewp View Drop Down
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 4:32am
Was about -35C when I got back home to the Yukon but it's been slowly warming up thankfully. Glad I've got my extra layer of insulation at times like this, my bedroom is freezing.
[IMG]http://i9.tinypic.com/8f3jo8l.jpg">
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:28am
Sucks to be you guys, it's about 45 here.  Unfortunately it's also raining 24/7.

Edited by evillepaintball - 28 December 2012 at 9:28am
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:09am
It's somewhere around 27 when I wake up early, and 35 or so mid day.

Yes, that's cold to me.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

-37 here, -34 faren . for non-metric noobs.

Can you feel a big difference between -34F and -20F? Does the temperature ever get to a point to where it all feels the same.

For me. I think anything under 15F and I'm staying inside.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Can you feel a big difference between -34F and -20F? Does the temperature ever get to a point to where it all feels the same.

Huge difference actually.  After a long time of -34, -20 will feel like things have warmed up a fair bit.  It's still cold, but you don't have to dress as much for it.  Simple example would be taking the dogs out for a pee. -34 I'm zipping my coat up and wearing a hat/ gloves.  -20 I'll just leave my coat open and wont bother to grab my hat/ gloves since I'm only out for a few minutes.  Still cold, but when you're getting down to -34 and below it's a bit of a different game.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 9:50am
Original foundation 1884, second (first burned) main house 1919, addition to main house 1985. Two gas furnaces, one for main, one for addition, coal stove in main (still works), fireplace in 'den' in addition. New double windows 1985, main kitchen slider door 1985 (seal between doors shot, wind tunnel, now packed with spray insulation foam till I can fix, or replace. Mancave garage building 1925, was a processing area for when this was a 'pig' farm in the late 20's till 1960's, redone into single garage and seperate heated/AC'd work room.
Main barns burned 1978 only foundations, equipment barn still up, weigh building with ramp still up, coop still up, grainery (goat area now) still up, feeder building still up, two mechanical wells (those windmill things) still have operating pumps.

Overall place is great.

Top of hill, no real wind breaks, winter NW winds hit full front of house. Today 4* at 6AM, 2 guinea hens froze to death past two days overnight in coop with heat lamps going. Turkeys and goats are doing fine. Driveway is still snow packed, dirt road to paved US77 a frozen rutted mess, with nightly wind drifts, town road grader snow remover in ditch still, even a heavy big truck tow could not pull it out at the steep nose down angle grader is in, no way to keep tow from sliding on road ice, even the 'legs' can't get purchase.

I love living in Alaska, loved the cold, now that I am getting old not so much.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 10:59am
Once you get around to dealing with the pipes if you can't reroute them look into the new plastic (PEC?) stuff.  It is supposed to be able to freeze and expand to 7x size then return to normal when thawed without damage.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Santa Chewp Santa Chewp wrote:

Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Huge difference actually.  After a long time of -34, -20 will feel like things have warmed up a fair bit.  It's still cold, but you don't have to dress as much for it.  Simple example would be taking the dogs out for a pee. -34 I'm zipping my coat up and wearing a hat/ gloves.  -20 I'll just leave my coat open and wont bother to grab my hat/ gloves since I'm only out for a few minutes.  Still cold, but when you're getting down to -34 and below it's a bit of a different game.

There is a noticeable difference between -20 and colder.  Around -40 -ish or colder, your tires start to get hard, even the seat in my truck doesn't have any give to it until the truck is warmed up.  When I worked at the mill, when it was -40 or colder, we had lot's of issues with metal conveyors and components cracking and breaking, especially the carbon steel radicons (gear boxes).
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 11:06pm
You can barely depress the clutch/ shift when it's that cold.  And yeah you will get "square" wheels where your tires actually have a frozen flatspot for a while.  We don't just let our cars warm up for comfort, it's so they dont break themselves.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 11:35pm
I'm no Canadian, but at -20*F my accelerator pedal shattered, at -10*F last year the furnace decided to crap out and it was about 1* above freezing inside the house by the a.m. (water running). I'm outside in the cold working a lo (still making snow at a ski club), after 10*F, things start getting bad really fast. I've had snowgun fan motors conk out in sub zero and turn into 1-ton ice sculptures really fast a few times. Not fun.
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 11:52pm
It broke at -20F? That's a seriously, seriously dangerous defect.  No vehicle sold in North America should ever break at temperatures that....normal.  -20F is completely normal for places like the Yukon and MANY others.  I have to ask what make/ model it was, because that's practically unbelievable.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2012 at 11:28pm
Yeah it's like -20 when I wake up every morning.
Que pasa?

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 12:32am
It *probably* had some ice under it, despite letting it warm up a good while, and the car was over 20 years old. I was still able to drive it just fine with what was left of the pedal for a few days.I'm still glad it snapped when I went to pull out of the driveway and not coming out of a corner.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 9:18am
At what temperature do you guys start using engine block heaters?
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

At what temperature do you guys start using engine block heaters?

Below -22F/-30C generally.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 8:05am
I park in the garage now, when I parked outside I had a cord that you could set the temperature it comes on at, as well as a timer; block heater eats power.  I also use a weather front on my grille, and plug in a battery blanket for the reeeal cold days.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 11:27am
I have the oil stick heater, not really a need, but makes cold weather starts a tad easier. I fire up the Harley daily and have a battery sustainer on it, even in 'mancave' temp averages only 40-50 in there, most vents are half closed so dogs in garage get most of the heat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic