FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edumacate me on AR15's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 10:21pm
Colt do not have bad weapons. They are totally top tier. Especially when you are talking about the M4 or .mil spec. The only guys who have the Technical Data Package for building M4's are Colt and FN Hershal. Everyone else, even the good ones, are doing it by ear.

A current Colt will have the correct heat treatment, will have properly staked parts that need staking, will be properly in "spec". The whole "Colt diminishing" is a myth akin to "M16's jam all the time". It simply isn't true.

Like Impulse said, LWRC, Knights Arms, Noveske, BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense are all solid working guns. Even DD had some issued this past year that let some customers down.

Rock River, Stag, Olympic, DPMS, DelTron, Bushmaster, Black Rain and a bunch of other makers all make hobby guns.

GO ask the guys who run them. Pat Rogers for one runs BCM's pretty much exclusively in his classes. He is very free with the info on what performs to standard and what dies. All his after course reports which had hobby guns in the mix mostly had the hobby guns breaking in them. Simply fact. If you shoot a LOT, the hobby guns will fail at a faster rate than the more reliable fighting guns.

It is all in what you need. I only need a rifle capable of a couple of hundred rounds a year. It is all I can afford. So a hobby gun will fit me needs.

Get the right tool for the job.

Buy whichever AR you think you need, but put some thought into it. Also, do proper research. A PB forum isn't it. Be aware that you can end up paying for a DPMS almost as much as a decent manufacturer.

Get an Aimpoint H-1, a Surefire Fury Defender or EAG version in a decent mount like the Viking Tactics and call it a day.

KBK

PS S&W also make more or less hobby guns, but they are on the upper scale of hobby guns.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 11:09pm
So, I just did a quick check of my usual sources for stripped lowers. Who needs an AWB to prevent the sale of ARs? Apparently not us because you can't even buy the main component necessary to build one at the time of this writing. Found polymer EFFING POLYMER lowers going for $150 on J&G, AIM is out. SOG is out. PSA is out. CMMG is out. I'm guessing DSA and everyone else are in the same boat right now. AR prices jumped yet again. PMags were $60/ea on CTD earlier today, and AKs are hitting the $700 mark as we speak DEALER PRICE. SKSs are still at their pre-weekend prices for Chicom (in crap condition), but it looks like the new batches of Yugos and Albanians that just went up are ~$25-$50 higher than a month ago. CAI has "replacement" receivers still in at $87 for ARs right now, but not sure what their "replacment" deal is. As soon as I find out though, I'm going to buy an inch or metric pattern FAL receiver before my dreams get dashed. Also probably going to spend the $200 or so for a Chicom SKS sooner rather than later.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 11:18pm
I don't think supply will meet demand before an executive order to ban "evil black rifles" takes place. Find a lower first, but it might be an uphill battle getting one at a decent price.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 7:37am
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

I don't think supply will meet demand before an executive order to ban "evil black rifles" takes place. Find a lower first, but it might be an uphill battle getting one at a decent price.

Hence my desire for an FAL lower. Now I just need to see which parts kits SARCO has in stock. Metric or Inch.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:35am
I get what you're saying KBK, but also just in the first stages of even looking at these. Its one of the reasons I asked for some resources to be able to get an idea of where to even go. I have very little info from people around me and figured some of people here would be a good place to at least get an idea of where to look. I know my brother has done some research, but he tends to get very tunnel visioned about things and while he will research the heck out of things before he makes a decision, he still makes very odd decisions sometimes. I'm cheap, but would rather have a solid plain Jane better built ___ than a fancy, flashy POS ____.. You can always add flash, if you have a solid core.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:26pm
That's cool. I'm not saying you MUST get one of those, just keep an open mind and do the research. Quite often you'll find, say, a DPMS for the same price as a Colt 6920. Then you'd be much better off getting the Colt.

For bare bones but still really good rifles, (if you can find any at the moment) the Colt 6920, the S&W MP15. You can buy the Colt at Walmart for $1100, roughly.

The thing is you won't need to do ANYTHING to it. It'll run as is through pretty much whatever you want.

There are lesser guns that retail at the same level that aren't as good.

Honestly anything labelled "as good as" is probably not.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:45pm

Cabellas and Gander Mountain seem to have the S&Ws for around $1k.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:03pm
Hey Kayback.

Ordering my metric pattern FAL receiver this weekend. Getting a matched Belgian-made Israeli metric parts kit with standard rear sight in early Jan. Anything I should know before jumping in with both feet? Shorty and I are both pretty clueless on the FAL other than the historical significance, so I figured I'd ask someone who's been hands-on with one.

Edited by tallen702 - 19 December 2012 at 1:03pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:13pm
I'd love a smith and wesson, but the sporter models they sell here don't have chrome-lined barrels. 
Mr.Sam98C View Drop Down
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 4:05pm
My brother and I built one with some higher end parts, like a Daniel Defense bolt carrier group (lots say it's one of the best to get) and mil-spec upper and lower. It's a midlength gas system, and we tacked on some nice looking magpul handguards and collapsing stock. All in all it ended up being about $1k. It's also a flat top upper with a detach carry handle, and we tossed a used leupold 2-7X33mm on it, and it really does the buisness for either shooting varmints out to 5, 6 and even 7 (pushing it) hundred yards. But it's still compact enough that it works great for room clearing and up close social work.
In the broad spectrum of bad ideas I think this would have to rate somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic