FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FINALLY had a flash-back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FINALLY had a flash-back
    Posted: 10 December 2012 at 3:39am
Well, it took some time and some doing but I finally had my first post deployment "flash-back" episode last night. Triggered by some punk little 14 year olds who hit my car with water balloons filled with ice. Ended up cracking the windshield, but that's why I have insurance. They ran off before I was able to catch them, after slamming on my breaks on a single lane road. 

I wouldn't call it a PTSD thing, as I am confident that I have been lucky enough to not have been inflicted with the mental distress my peers have had. However, the ballooning did trigger a more instinctual reaction of what to do in a ambush situation. To those who haven't ever been trapped in a vehicle while it has been pelted with rockets, it is a very traumatizing and humbling experience. The order of operations is generally the same; first is some sort of explosion either from a roadside bomb or RPG, followed by a barrage of SAF (small arms fire) that splinters your windshield or shatters it depending on the glass. managed to calm myself down within a matter of seconds, filed a police report for insurance purposes and went about the rest of my night. However, in the amount of time when I felt engulfed by training instincts, I remember searching for my weapon and grabbing for my radio to call in air support. I laughed at the thought of what these two kids would have done had a Warthog came screaming over their head. Anyways, that's my exciting story for the evening. 

TL;DR: I attempted to go "operator" on kids who hit my car with "ice"balloons. 

Edited by Snipa69 - 10 December 2012 at 3:42am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:58am
Please be sure to post a link to the story when they get caught.

Note, that I say "when," not "if."  They will get caught.  While there may not be proof that it is the same people, someone will get nabbed for something similar and it will probably be them.  The type of people who do this are generally to stupid to quit doing it before they get caught.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 8:11am
It will take awhile, it has been over 40years and if there is thunder and I am asleep, I have been known to roll to the floor before I wake up. Don't sweat it, and those fids will get thiers, no doubt.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

It will take awhile, it has been over 40years and if there is thunder and I am asleep, I have been known to roll to the floor before I wake up. Don't sweat it, and those fids will get thiers, no doubt.

I seem to remember you posting about how you instinctively dropped on your garage floor after someone threw a .30-06 your way while hunting.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 10:26am
Snipa, you know they wouldn't call in an A-10 against those kids. Ice-filled water balloons are the only thing known to man to penetrate those titanium bathtubs that surround the cockpit.

Those instinctive responses you had drummed into you while active will come in handy some day. The ability to be able to think clearly in stressful situations will save your life, or the lives of others. While I don't have any military training, the drills we ran in boy scouts with medical and accident preparedness made me the clear-headed guy in a situation where a car had flipped upside-down on the DC beltway one night. Everyone else was standing around looking at this upside-down car with a poor woman trapped inside, they were in shock at the situation. I calmed her down, asked her to hit the "unlock button" and grabbed another guy who helped me yank to the door open. That's just a moderate case, I'm sure that at some point down the road, you'll wind up doing much more to help someone thanks to this kind of un-conscious response.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 12:07pm
Oh yea, back at the NY house, that round zinged by, I dropped without even thinking about it. Yea it doesn't go away.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 5:03pm
Yup, these things'll happen a bit. I've been lucky enough not to have really been troubled at all since my first few weeks back.

It's survival instinct that's now ingrained; you retrained your nervous system. Not a bad thing- it just means in some 'less-than-survival' situations you'll perhaps overreact a little bit and get jacked for a few minutes. Not a huge deal, and not strange either.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:26pm
My first instinct was to actually floor it and try to "drive out of the ambush" but I would have crashed my car had I done that haha. I believe Mac is right, and that these punks will eventually be caught. Not by me, but by someone...probably an unmarked police car. One of the little turds was wearing a santa hat...nice inconspicuous attire...
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 1:35am
Wow that sounds pretty intense. I've heard of stuff like that for guys coming back from overseas. One that sticks with me is the story of a guy who was having a family get-together on the 4th of July and when the fireworks started he hit the deck and his mind was completely out of it. Apparently the guy's son had to bring him inside the house to calm him down and reassure him that they weren't bombs.

Obviously that's a severe case of PTSD, but I hear it's not rare.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 11 December 2012 at 1:36am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Yup, these things'll happen a bit. I've been lucky enough not to have really been troubled at all since my first few weeks back.

It's survival instinct that's now ingrained; you retrained your nervous system. Not a bad thing- it just means in some 'less-than-survival' situations you'll perhaps overreact a little bit and get jacked for a few minutes. Not a huge deal, and not strange either.

This.  It doesn't even have to be PTSD-related.  Once certain survival behaviors become instinctual, and nothing helps them become instinctual like time in a war zone, they just happen.  As Bri said, not a bad thing.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 1:07pm
This same "prank" happened in my hometown several years ago. A friend of a friend was driving home and caught an ice balloon from a passing car on the windshield, which shattered and threw glass into her face.  Turns out, she was an FBI agent and got the license plate.  It didn't end well for the perps.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 1:11pm
As kids we all knew not to wake my dad up abruptly for this reason.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic