FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wet shaving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Any suggestions on razors? Yes, I know there are a dozen different styles, but I would like to ebay a razor, and I have no idea what to get. I would like the 1950's razor equivalent of a Tippmann 98C (The no frills, no ACT tactical models :D)

Gillette Tech series or Adjustable. Just search 1950's Gillette and you really won't go wrong.

Example: This one is nice

Protip: Take it to your local barber shop and have them sterilize it before you use it. Also, they polish up really nicely (being stainless steel) with some "Nevr-dull" wadding polish.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Any suggestions on razors? Yes, I know there are a dozen different styles, but I would like to ebay a razor, and I have no idea what to get. I would like the 1950's razor equivalent of a Tippmann 98C (The no frills, no ACT tactical models :D)

Gillette Tech series or Adjustable. Just search 1950's Gillette and you really won't go wrong.

Example: This one is nice

Protip: Take it to your local barber shop and have them sterilize it before you use it. Also, they polish up really nicely (being stainless steel) with some "Nevr-dull" wadding polish.
Yes  the tech razors are all real good.  My old razors were pretty scuzzy so I bought some Barbicide from a local barber and soaked all my razors, unfortunately it made the brass one a weird coppery green colour.  
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 12:32am
You just cost me $22.79 on a 1965 Gillette Tech razor Big smile. This thing is clean, comes with "collectible" vintage blades, some new production blades, and a gaudy hideous case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200859153936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edited by SSOK - 13 December 2012 at 12:36am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 11:33am
Yeah, I've got some of the old blue finished blades. I definitely wouldn't use them due to the risk of catching some weird disease rather than their age or collection value.

Nice pick up SSOK! Looks good!
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 7:57pm

You just cost me $22.79 on a 1965 Gillette Tech razor Big smile. This thing is clean, comes with "collectible" vintage blades, some new production blades, and a gaudy hideous case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200859153936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
sweet!
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 3:30am
Damn this forum to hell!

I'm sold, I want to go this route. I would like stay away from ebay.

How much am I looking at, getting a complete set up? I am a big advocate of buy once, cry once. But I am also pretty broke, so be gentle.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 8:20am
I'm no expert by any means, but eBay is really the way to go. It seems like I paid less than the average 'new' one for a nice razor.

Who knows, in a week or two someone who just bought one might hate the thing and be willing to sell it if they don't like their razor.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Damn this forum to hell!

I'm sold, I want to go this route. I would like stay away from ebay.

How much am I looking at, getting a complete set up? I am a big advocate of buy once, cry once. But I am also pretty broke, so be gentle.

If you want to go all-new? $82.99 for everything you'll really ever need except more blades.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 7:41pm
I decided to clean my razors, the ss adjustable was pretty clean but the other 3 were real gross, especially my Granpas old razor, the Gillette Red Tip.  I found some sites that described how to do it safely without ruining the finish so I cleaned them all.   I found some #'s and the razors are not the years I thought.  The Gillette Red Tip is a 1956, brass one 1929 and Tech was the right year.  I have shaved all week with the Gillette Red Tip and I love it, I have pretty rapid growth and shave every 2nd day, it shaves very close, although I have to watch the angle.  I'm waiting for some Feather blades that are supposed to work real well with this razor.:

Cleaned razors:

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 14 December 2012 at 7:42pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 9:40pm
Got my razor, my face feels awesome.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 11:12pm
Nice.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 8:23am
I lost my superspeed, so I replaced it with a Merkur Futur.

Feels oh so smooooooth.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

I lost my superspeed, so I replaced it with a Merkur Futur.

Feels oh so smooooooth.
Sexeh.  What's the weight like compared to the ss?
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 8:28pm
I suppose next time I go back to the homestead I might just dig through the loft and find my great-grandpa's old razor and clean it up. I like the cost over time factor, but is it really a better shave? My Fusion power is OK, I like the single blade on the back for tight stuff, but I always felt that the M3 was better in a lot of ways, I can shave with it stupidly fast, and quite close and without irritation, provided I shave twice a day. 
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 10:27pm
if you're speaking about closeness, you can get just as close with a double edge razor, it may take more time depending on the person and style.  If you are in a hurry - like I am sometimes - I'll use my hydro, it's just such a different way of shaving and I much prefer the overall shave with a double edge.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 6:09am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

You'll need a brush and mug to get a lather from the wool fat soap. So yeah, buy those too. You don't HAVE to start out with an expensive brush. You can use one of the cheap ones you can find at CVS or whatnot. Same goes for the mug, you can use an old coffee mug if you want to start.

I would, however, look into the different grades of brushes. You definitely want to eventually get a badger brush, and then you want to decide which grade of badger will work for you. My personal suggestion is this one: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/shaving-gear-shaving-brush-and-stand-32045.aspx?kw=edwin&processor=content I've never found a better one for the price, AND it includes a stand (a cheap one, but still...) Next to your blades, your brush is the most important thing. Too scratchy or stiff an it'll be unpleasant. Too soft and you may have a hard time working up lather. I might just make a short video on how to do this stuff and post it tonight.

I figure its worth spending a little extra, if it will last and I won't need to pick up a new one, so I'm looking at this brush (plus the linked brush is out of stock :P)

I do have a silly question about mugs though. If I pick up this, does the dish double as a mug, or will I still need a mug?

You guys are awesome!

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 6:14am
Those are good choices Darur, and yes, the dish is the same as a mug.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 12:59pm
I love Duluth Trading, I finally wore through my firehose work pants, I have to send those back in next week to get replaced. You can argue with a pair of pants with a lifetime warranty. The pockets are great on those things.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 5:15pm
Thanks Tallen!
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

Sexeh.  What's the weight like compared to the ss?

Way heavier. The smooth handle is actually quite easy to hold because of the edges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic