FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wet shaving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 2:58pm
Got my crap in today.  A few observations:

1) My technique apparently needs some work.  I would say the closeness was somewhere between Mach 3 and Braun 3 series.  

2) I did actually get really close on the first pass at the one spot on my neck that I can never seem to get.  

3) At least there isn't any irritation.

4) That wool soap is easily the greatest shaving face stuff I have ever used.

5) There was a very noticeable difference between my old boar brush and the new badger. 
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 5:28pm
First shave finished today. First few passes where rough to the point of "oh god, I may have made a mistake" but once I got the angle right I couldn't even tell it was shaving. I did a few passes without feeling anything and thought I must be doing something wrong but I checked and the hair was all gone.

It's definitely not as close as I might have hoped, but that's probably either my technique or the razor itself. I use a Gillette tech and I've read its the least aggressive razor you can get. I read you're only supposed to shave with the grain, does anyone go against the grain or is that really no good? I definitely like the wool soap, but it wasn't a very thick lather. I probably just need to lather it up longer next time.

Overall, no regrets, just need some practice I think
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 7:14pm
Go with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain. It is very acceptable to do that order. Otherwise it will never get close. I love it now that I have my DE razor.

I ordered an alum block and a large blade sampler. I'm hoping the alum block will give me some good feedback with my technique.

Edited by RoboCop - 03 January 2013 at 7:33pm

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 8:48pm
If it helps, this guy has a lot of videos on wet shaving. He is doing a rushed shave, but gets all the steps in, just he didn't use a bowl.

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 9:06pm
Looking at a '54 tech razor, nickel plated (ball end). $34 too much for one in almost new shape?
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:02pm
Lol at the fact that all of us are doing this.

I bought myself a Tech on New Year's Day in pretty beat condition - will have to see how much I can clean it up.  If it goes well, I'll probably be buying all the necessary accessories in the next week.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:17am
I like my tech, that's a good price too.  I still like the angle of the the Red Tips but I usually shave every 2-3 days so it works for my stubble better.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:19pm
Welp, it came in today and it still looks pretty lousy after an extensive cleaning and light polishing.  Looks like I'll be trying another!
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:28pm
You guys need to drop in at local antique shops. That's half the fun of wet shaving - some great buys can be had. 

My SuperSpeed (The razor on the left) was purchased for three dollars, and then cleaned up with a rubbing compound. 
(Razor on the right is a Merkur SlantBar for those wondering) 

Those of you who are questioning the first shave, it gets much better with time and practice. 

Edited by *Stealth* - 05 January 2013 at 1:35pm
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 4:43pm
^Nice!  Blades make a huge difference too, I bought a sampler pack from amazon, gillettes, bluebirds and feathers.  The Feather blades are amazing, for my stubble the only blade that has no tug at all, although they are a bit unforgiving when I go against the grain. The gillette 7:00 oclocks are very good as well.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 5:39pm
One thing my dad mentioned was my grandpa and him both used an ice cube on their face after shaving, I've tried it this week and I quite like it.  I also got Prada aftershave balm for christmas, it's great stuff.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:58pm
Stopped by a local antique house per Stealth's suggestion - that was a mistake.  Found 2 Gillette Techs in nice condition, but for $40.  No thanks.  My mistake was going to the one I did; they attract a moderate audience and hold many dealers.  I'm sure I'd have better luck at someplace a bit more hole-in-the-wall-like.  Everything there was quite pricey, not just the razors.

Anyways, I think my plan of action is to find the one I want online (between a SuperSpeed / Tech or some sort of new Merkur) and just keep my eyes open for deals at other antique shops / markets etc.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Stopped by a local antique house per Stealth's suggestion - that was a mistake.  Found 2 Gillette Techs in nice condition, but for $40.  No thanks.  My mistake was going to the one I did; they attract a moderate audience and hold many dealers.  I'm sure I'd have better luck at someplace a bit more hole-in-the-wall-like.  Everything there was quite pricey, not just the razors.

Anyways, I think my plan of action is to find the one I want online (between a SuperSpeed / Tech or some sort of new Merkur) and just keep my eyes open for deals at other antique shops / markets etc.

Remember you can always haggle those prices, bring a phone and say: "I can buy this like new online right now for $20.00 - I'll give you 19.00" 

Have the cash ready, and chance is you walk away with a new razor. 

Cash talks - and a savvy consumer who can prove prices VIA a mobile and internet, typically gets what they want. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Remember you can always haggle those prices, bring a phone and say: "I can buy this like new online right now for $20.00 - I'll give you 19.00" 

Have the cash ready, and chance is you walk away with a new razor. 

Cash talks - and a savvy consumer who can prove prices VIA a mobile and internet, typically gets what they want. 

Yeah, absolutely.  That would've been my approach, but it was an antique house where the owner of the display doesn't have to be on premises, and thus, he wasn't.  I'm assuming dealers are just able to rent out some space there.  I can keep trying back though, and if I were really interested in what he had to offer, I'm sure the owners could always get me in touch with him.

We shall see.  I am keeping an eye on some ebay auctions currently, so hopefully those go well.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 8:55pm
Just won myself this guy.  Already picked up an EJ Best Badger brush and CO Bigelow shave cream, which has been awesome the few times I've used it.  Can't wait for it to come in!  Just gotta order myself an assortment of blades now.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 10:53pm
I think I would find a 3 piece annoying. I wouldn't want more stuff coming apart when putting the blade in. It would be nice for cleaning though.

Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 9:17am
Nice price on the Tech, my Gillette tech is a '30's model, it's not as convenient as the tto razors but it shaves just fine.  I still swear by Feather blades, you won't believe the difference they make.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 1:12pm
I've been wet shaving almost daily for about a month now.  I just changed my blade for the first time.  Mine is a 3 piece.  No issues with changing out blades.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 1:36pm
Daily for a month and the first time changing the blade? You sir must not have a lot of hair to begin with. I felt pulling on about the 5th shave on my merkur blade. I'm testing out other blades like Derby right now. Not as nice as merkur, but I kind of want to try other blades before I dip into the feather blades.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 1:44pm
My hair is pretty thin.  My 4 day shadow is thinner than some 5 o'clock shadows.  I also don't shave on weekends, so I probably got in 15-20 shaves.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic