FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wet shaving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I'm curious, how likely is one to cut themselves when switching from modern razors to safety razors? 

Pretty unlikely. You may get a little nick every once in a while if you knock the head off a zit or something, but no more likely than with a modern cartridge razor.

Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

Told my brother I was interested in getting a Safety Razor for Christmas this year, he has been looking at options since I mentioned it. Seems Amazon has some Merkur sets for around $50 USD...decent brand? This would be my first personal Safety Razor, so input would be nice. Hoping to get him some intel tomorrow before he buys me something. Not that I would be upset if he only spent $7 bucks, but he is one who normally does his research. 

Merkur is a fantastic company. My first razor was a Merkur HD Open-Comb. I still use it to this day, though prefer it for my head and my Gillette Tech 1 Piece Solid Bar for my face.

The biggest decision is comb type. Do you have a thick beard and get ingrown hairs? Go open comb (it cuts closer to the skin) Moderate beard but still want a close shave? Slant-bar is the way to go. Pretty normal facial hair and you shave every day? Solid Bar.

After that, it's all pretty much aesthetics. Do you want it heavy or light? Fat or slim? Silver or Gold? One Piece or two? Butterfly or sandwich head?

You can use regular shaving cream to start if you're working on a budget. But the brush and mug are essential down the road for a truly fantastic experience.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 12:52pm
I have very light facial hair, but get ingrown hairs.  Should I go with a solid bar?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I have very light facial hair, but get ingrown hairs.  Should I go with a solid bar?

Yeah, that'll work fine. Open comb bars are made to force heavy facial hair into a channel to be cut. Solid bar will cut a little further away from the skin meaning the hair never gets a chance to go below the opening in the skin resulting in fewer ingrown hairs.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 1:49pm
One of the local malls just opened up an art of shaving shop.  I should pop in next time I'm there.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

One of the local malls just opened up an art of shaving shop.  I should pop in next time I'm there.

Eh... they're O.K. at best. They're a front for P&G so you're only going to see fancy cartridge handles for razors. The brushes are overpriced as well. They have some decent balms and creams, and they carry DE blades if you need some but don't want to order online.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:50pm
I am having a hell of a time finding a solid bar razor, other than some $170 Tradere-y thing, on Amazon or google.  Can you recommend a decent site?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Are these sorts of shavers a viable option for shaving one's head? I do so pretty much daily, and it is pricey on the cartridges.

Yes. I use my Gillette T4 on my head in the summer for daily upkeep and my Merkur HD Open-Comb when I need to knock down a good growth.

edit: What's more, they're actually better to shave your head with than cartridges. Cartridge blades get all gunked up when shaving your head. DE razors don't have anywhere to trap all the hair and lather, meaning they stay sharper longer giving you a closer shave in half the time because you aren't pounding it against the side of the sink to clean it every two passes.

I'm intrigued.

Knowing nothing about the use of safety razors, what do I need to know to get started? If it saves me cartridge cost, I'm intrigued. Normally I pull the razor over my face and head every morning in the shower, so those add up quick.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 4:54pm

If I wet shave, I look like a slasher film victim...

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I am having a hell of a time finding a solid bar razor, other than some $170 Tradere-y thing, on Amazon or google.  Can you recommend a decent site?

Lern2googleson!

Seriously, that might be the only website you will ever need. You can also get used ones which have been restored on ebay for a decent price. That's where my Tech came from.

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Knowing nothing about the use of safety razors, what do I need to know to get started? If it saves me cartridge cost, I'm intrigued. Normally I pull the razor over my face and head every morning in the shower, so those add up quick.

The grip is pretty intuitive and they're pretty easy to use right out of the box. If you're going for head and face all in one go, get a closed come/straight bar as it's pretty much the all-purpose DE safety razor. Pay the few bucks for some Merkur Platinum blades rather than hitting up the drug store for some off-brand. Lather like you normally would and go to town. You don't need to press hard, let the weight of the razor do the work. If you find it doesn't have enough pressure, then you can apply some of your own. Buy a styptic pen/pencil from a drug store and use it to hit any nicks you may have. It'll take a few times for your skin to get used to a much sharper blade, but once you shave with a true safety razor for about a week, you shouldn't have any problems anymore. Finally, don't start using it when you're in a hurry, give yourself some time to practice with it without rushing.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 7:36pm
I hold onto my razor at the very end of it, the weight of it does the work. As Tallen says, Merkur blades are well worth the $$.   I also use a styptic pen for any nicks I get.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 7:58pm
here's a pic of all the razors I have, brass Gillette  is 1929, Gillette Tech Razor in cardboard box is 1932, Gillette in silver box is 1939, straight razor is 1921.  I've shaved with them all, I use the Gillette ss adj. the most.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 10 December 2012 at 8:00pm
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 1:41am
Those are some fine looking razors Johnny.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:52am
I finally have a place that will hone the edge on my straight razors for me, I just need to take them up there and get it done. I've got two, one is a wartime bring-back, the other is a pre war bone-handle.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 3:54pm
I hope "closed comb" is the same thing as "solid bar", because that's what I ordered.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 7:13pm
Yes eville, it is.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:41pm
Finally broke down and just bought a 1951 Gillette tech 1 off ebay as a graduation present to myself. Planning on picking up the Merkur Super Platinum blades and Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap that tallen recommended. 

Any other gear I will need or that you would suggest? Brushes? Mugs? Stands? I've been thinking about this for about 6 months, but I kind of just jumped in without doing much research :D
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 6:08am
You'll need a brush and mug to get a lather from the wool fat soap. So yeah, buy those too. You don't HAVE to start out with an expensive brush. You can use one of the cheap ones you can find at CVS or whatnot. Same goes for the mug, you can use an old coffee mug if you want to start.

I would, however, look into the different grades of brushes. You definitely want to eventually get a badger brush, and then you want to decide which grade of badger will work for you. My personal suggestion is this one: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/shaving-gear-shaving-brush-and-stand-32045.aspx?kw=edwin&processor=content I've never found a better one for the price, AND it includes a stand (a cheap one, but still...) Next to your blades, your brush is the most important thing. Too scratchy or stiff an it'll be unpleasant. Too soft and you may have a hard time working up lather. I might just make a short video on how to do this stuff and post it tonight.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I might just make a short video on how to do this stuff and post it tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

He's made enough tutorials to cover most anything.  I use an old soup mug for a bowl, it has more space for the brush to move around in, when I used a coffee mug I felt like I was just banging the brush around the sides.

Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 7:43pm
As Tallen so eloquently stated, I too enjoy the whole process, Shaving sucks, but I actually look forward to the 10-15 minutes I spend lathering up and  shaving.  I have converted my son and his old room mate, my sons ex-roommate is like brihard who shaves his head and he says he'll never go back.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 10:08pm
Any suggestions on razors? Yes, I know there are a dozen different styles, but I would like to ebay a razor, and I have no idea what to get. I would like the 1950's razor equivalent of a Tippmann 98C (The no frills, no ACT tactical models :D)

I should mention that I am a lazy bum and don't shave everyday. I sometimes let my face go for a week or so. I don't get ingrown hairs, but I usually get those bloody marks on my neck whenever I shave, which I usually chalk up to irritation.

Also, something with a blade protrusion on one side only is preferred, but not necessary.

Edited by SSOK - 12 December 2012 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic