FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wet shaving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wet shaving
    Posted: 08 December 2012 at 8:02pm
I couldn't find the original thread of this so I'll do it again.  I got a few years ago with spending 27 bucks for 5 blades, buying a cheesy sharpener that never worked for them.  So the last 18 months I've been using my dads 1962 gillette super speed adjustable.  It works awesome, a blade lasts me 4-5 shaves, I can sharpen them, but I'm trying to find some better lather than what I use so if anyone here uses these razors, let me know what you use.  I also have a Gillette fatboy but I prefer the superspeed adjustable.:

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 9:41pm
Honest question here... Why not use a disposable?
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 9:44pm
I shave with disposable heads, but I'm sure someone will say it... Get a hanger for that brush!

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 10:02pm
Disposables?  I would rather shave with a shovel than a disposable, they are only used by pre-pubescents and hospital workers for shaving pre-ops.  Manly men need a sharp blade!.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Honest question here... Why not use a disposable?

Cost
Closeness of Shave
Looks Classy
Better Lather
Longer Lasting
Morning Zen
etc.

To put it shortly, cheap disposables last a few shaves and are done. They are set at an off-angle so they don't shave as closely in one pass as a DE safety razor or straight razor do, so they have to add more blades, which means more times that a blade is passing over the skin meaning rougher, dryer, more break-out-prone skin.

If you go with an expensive disposable, you're spending GOBS on the blade refills. I pay between 5-10 CENTS per blade which will last me twice as long as a Mach-whatever-they're-up-to-now cartridge.

The ceremony of the mug, brush, lather, and razor get me in a good mood for the morning

It takes barely any longer to do it the proper way

And it looks snazzy on your bathroom counter.

Also, I get fewer ingrown hairs, can use the same blades with multiple style razors (adjustable, slant-bar, open comb, closed comb, etc) for different applications from trimming to shaving my head, to an everyday face-shave.

It's just better. The only reason you saw the switch to disposable cartridges is that Gillette realized that they had to change the way they did business. Their old razors were too dependable, and the blades lasted too long, to remain profitable in a global market. So they created the cartridge to renew their old loss-leader system. Ever notice you can buy a new Mach4Turbo with 3 cartridges for less than half the price of a 5 cartridge refill pack?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 10:56pm
Also, Johnny Canuck:

I prefer "Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap" for my lather. The natural lanolin from the lamb fat is really good for your skin's tone and complexion over time. Keeps it from drying out, etc.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 1:41am
What blades do all of you use? 
I'm trying to find a brand to buy in bulk. I'm trying out a few before I do so, so I don't end up with 300 blades that will shred my face. 
So far tried this: 
http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Hi-Stainless-Platinum-Double-Blades/dp/B001G5HZCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355035242&sr=8-1&keywords=featherlite+razor+blades
and this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Safety-Blades-Chrome/dp/B003BWQX46/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355035284&sr=1-1&keywords=shark+super+chrome+blades
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 4:10am
I use a Merkur Standard with Feather blades right now.  

I am using CO Bigelow cream right now, it is re-branded Proraso and its for sale at bath and body works and they always have some sort of deal going on.

I also have a Dovo Blackstar cutthroat, I haven't used it too much.  Maybe this winter I'll increase my build my skills with it.

and Mehs, if you're still blade shopping I also like Derbys.  I may have a surplus of those sitting around, if I do and you're interested I would pop some in the mail for you.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 4:45am
Really wish I was better with a blade so I could get into this...
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

and Mehs, if you're still blade shopping I also like Derbys.  I may have a surplus of those sitting around, if I do and you're interested I would pop some in the mail for you.

If you do end up sending some through the mail, the best way is inside a Snickers bar. 
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 12:08pm
I'm at the mercy of what I can get online until I can get to a big city that actually has a store dedicated to shaving.  I saw one in Vancouver but I just didn't have enough time to get what I wanted.  Thanks for the lather tip Tallen, I've had a string of lathers that are dried out before I'm done.  
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 1:40pm
The Proraso stuff you have is a fine soap.  What I do is soak my brush while I shower  then shake out the excess water and make lather from there.

You can always add more water, look up mantic59 on youtube, he has some good video tips.  But it sounds like you've got a fine setup for shaving...I use a preshave oil that I make with castor oil/walnut oil.  The art of shaving 1 oz bottle is just a mix of castor/olive oils and some essential oil for scent but costs 30 dollars for that ounce.  A 16 oz bottle of castor oil is 9 bucks on amazon.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 2:23pm
I did a double application last night, huge difference.  I found a nice hanger on amazon for razor and brush which I ordered too.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 5:31pm
You know what I use to shave?

Seriously. Will post results when finished. It may be more expensive, but it does away with that morning hassle.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 6:07pm
For blades, I usually go with Merkur Super Platinum. Feather is pretty decent as well.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 9:37pm
Are these sorts of shavers a viable option for shaving one's head? I do so pretty much daily, and it is pricey on the cartridges.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 10:16pm
I use a Merkur Slant Bar with Feathers. Although, I do like my Super Speed too.

Currently using Godrej shaving cream, a nice cheap Lanolin based soap that is good and slick. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Are these sorts of shavers a viable option for shaving one's head? I do so pretty much daily, and it is pricey on the cartridges.

Yes. I use my Gillette T4 on my head in the summer for daily upkeep and my Merkur HD Open-Comb when I need to knock down a good growth.

edit: What's more, they're actually better to shave your head with than cartridges. Cartridge blades get all gunked up when shaving your head. DE razors don't have anywhere to trap all the hair and lather, meaning they stay sharper longer giving you a closer shave in half the time because you aren't pounding it against the side of the sink to clean it every two passes.

Edited by tallen702 - 09 December 2012 at 10:45pm
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 3:31am
Told my brother I was interested in getting a Safety Razor for Christmas this year, he has been looking at options since I mentioned it. Seems Amazon has some Merkur sets for around $50 USD...decent brand? This would be my first personal Safety Razor, so input would be nice. Hoping to get him some intel tomorrow before he buys me something. Not that I would be upset if he only spent $7 bucks, but he is one who normally does his research. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 9:36am
I'm curious, how likely is one to cut themselves when switching from modern razors to safety razors? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic