FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

StG44 Saved from the Shredder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: StG44 Saved from the Shredder
    Posted: 08 December 2012 at 7:22pm
Really cool story. What a close call.

http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-weapon-turned-in-during-gun-buy-back/landing.html?blockID=811359&feedID=11106

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

(NECN/NBC News: Jeff Saperstone) - Police officers in Connecticut received one very unusual weapon during a gun buy-back program last week -- the gun was from World War II and is worth over $30,000.

All sorts of guns were turned in at the gun buy-back event in Hartford last Saturday, but one weapon caught the eyes of officers.

"The chance to see a piece of history -- this … is absolutely unbelievable,” said Officer Lewis Crabtree of the Hartford Police Dept.

That's because the weapon turned in is a World War II-era assault rifle used by the Germans.

"Usually, this rifle would be issued to SS troops,” said Officer John Cavanna of the Hartford Police.

Cavanna is a gun historian.

One woman turned in the weapon, unaware of how much it was worth.
“In excellent condition, this gun is rated at $30,000 to $40,000,” Cavanna said.

But you might be wondering right now, how did a German soldier's weapon wind up in the hands of an American?

“You could kill a solider back then, and if the captain of your fighting unit signed off on it, you could send that gun home to your family or kid brother or cousin,” Cavanna said. “Anything you wanted. Her father, who was a World War II army man, had brought this gun home from the European theater."

The gun, developed in 1944, holds a 30-round magazine and can shoot 500 rounds per minute. Cavanna said every modern assault rifle produced today is based on this design.

As soon as officers saw this weapon, they knew its value.

"This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder,” Crabtree said.

And that's why they will allow the owner to sell the gun.

"I give her credit for bringing it to us,” Crabtree said.

A piece of World War II history -- saved.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 7:34pm
/drool
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 7:38pm
When I grow up, I want to be an "army man."
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 10:59pm
NB4 She gets in trouble for not having it on the BATFE/FBI tax rolls....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 11:00pm
Also, those things are a pain to feed (pain in the wallet)

So I'm going to buy this one:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ATGERGST44
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 1:09am
War Relics usually do not fall under any criminal penalty if the owner is unaware of its ability, status or condition. As stated brought back around 1945 there was no real 'law' that covered war relic status. During Vietnam when the AK-47 was 'shipped' home as a war relic by soldiers, did the new reg from the military rather than civilian law came into play on 'automatic weapons' sent or brought home.

The is no violation of BATF statute on this since obviously 'grandma' was unaware of its type, purpose or use. Only now the gun must be 'sold' or demilled for museum donation based on Fed guideline, Grandma is free and clear to sell under the law but must sell or donate by the law.

Edited by oldsoldier - 09 December 2012 at 1:12am
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 9:44am
I seem to remember fairly recently that the congress had allowed a machine gun amnesty for weapons from VN and before. My good friend's grandfather brought an M3 grease gun back from Korea that he had until probably the 80's, when it became non-transferable and he cut it up. Not sure if that would have counted since it wasn't likely a captured weapon unless it was a chinese copy. Very cool story. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 9:58am
Ugh, while I'm glad to see this, I'm reminded of what my father in law has seen destroyed in NYC.

He told me that down there, they've taken in some amazing pieces through the buy-back program and they HAVE to be destroyed, because the city doesn't want to be in the business of 'selling guns' in the event that they take something in that could be collected or put in a museum. He's seen antiques, rares, and everything else get turned in and cataloged on the spot with no exceptions

This would not have been allowed to happen if it were the NYPD were running that program.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic