FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pheasant hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pheasant hunting
    Posted: 05 December 2012 at 11:04pm
Anyone here bird hunt?

My dad split a membership at some swanky hunt club about an hour west of Milwaukee and took me and my brother pheasant hunting, and I forgot how much fun it was.  This is the first season that my dad's dog is really trained well.  I should say after about a half hour of her just running over, and not pointing the birds.  I was shooting a remington 870 express 20 guage and it took me a while to get dialed in, but after missing a couple birds I absolutely destroyed the others that I had shots on.  I think I'm going to have my dad trade in my 20 for a 12 guage of the same model. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 12:07am
Better bring something besides an 870 or a mossberg 500 to a snazzy big dog club, double or nothing. Also, no real reason to go with a 12ga over a 20 bore for pheasant. Many guys I know have been making the switch the other way, and a lot of the guys who shoot sporting clays are mimicing 20 ga. loadings in the 12ga. 
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 12:23am
Yeah, it was actually his idea to trade it in.  I like how light it is.

And no kidding about the club... my uncle's an anesthesiologist so he belongs at this place.  My dad paid him for 25 birds out of the 200 that the membership included.  Honestly though, my brother can probably out shoot the guys with the guns that are worth more than what I paid for my first 3 cars combined.   I went in late march on one of the last weekends of the season and we had the guy who has been training my dad's dog come out with one of his dogs and he liked the feel of my cheapie gun.  and hey, it works.   

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 5:09am
I've never hunted pheasant.
At least, not intentionally that is. Being a game bird, you an run across them from time to time here and take one- but its never happened to me.

There's a small 'hunting reserve' for lack of a better name not far from me that raises them for such purposes, I've juse never taken the time to go.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 8:50am
I went hunting for the first time in my life at a "hunting reserve" a couple months ago and we hunted pheasants.  This was also the first time I ever fired a gun.  I ended up shooting a couple and missed 1 or 2 that I probably should have hit.  Considering Ive never shot a gun before...I thought I had good results!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 9:27am
Always, always, always, always wanted to go. Pheasant/Grouse hunting just seems more sporting to me than sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer. Don't get me wrong, I'd do that too, but would prefer to shoot "on the wing" so to speak.

Paintballfreak, doesn't surprise me at all that you were good despite having not shot a gun before. Paintball is a "point and shoot" skill set that translates extremely well to trap and skeet shooting, so I'm sure it'd translate into pheasant hunting as well.

PCF, when you nab the birds. Brine them and then slowly hot-smoke them over a period of a few hours. It's excellent that way.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 11:42am
My uncle is a member at one of those places, as a retired teacher he doesn't quite fit the main demographic. Since he volunteers a lot, runs the tractor, plants food plots, drains beaver swamps etc, some of the guys who show up a few times a year treat him like the hired help. He's been collecting doubles since he relegated his 500 to deer and turkey. Browning, Ruger, and Perazzi, and I realy like the Ruger in 20ga. It was really a chance for him to get his dogs to work more, stay active, and spent time with his son, who due to the nature of the club, made a lot of contacts and got some good work opportunities from it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic