Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bit of an update on my entrance to the PD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I could get a good chunk of it taken care of if I decide to sell the Garand and find the right buyer for it. WIfe's telling me not to do that, (keeper right?) but I'm leaning that way anyway.

If it comes down to that, I could probably hold it as collateral on a small loan (couple hundred or so) since I can xfer across state lines without having to get multiple 01FFLs involved. But I don't think it'd have to. Hold on to the Garand if you can. The prices only keep going up, especially once the CMP runs out. Then they'll skyrocket.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 7:42pm
This might seem a tad boa**edited**l, but I'm a little proud, as well as confused at today's outcome.

Took the qualifying PT test today.

Made the situps and pushups without any problem- even managed to make the graduation mark for those two, not just the entrance requirements.

The run though, had me worried. 1.5 miles, 12 minutes, 38 seconds to do it.
I'm not a runner. I've done a bit of jogging lately, but nothing really intensive enough to do more than shake some rust out of the joints.
I was especially disheartened when the first group of 6 made their run with their best time being over 13 minutes, and that group had a few current / recently prior service members.

They started all 6 of us off in the same lane, and right out of the box I took a good clip to try to get out of the pack.
Within a half a lap I was in front, and my first lap clocked at (for me) a blistering 1:46. I was sucking a bit of wind already, so I dropped the pace, got a grip on my breathing and started playing the ABC game (find the letters of the alphabet consecutively) with the sponsor boards that were scattered around the track. To my shock and awe, I began lapping people, and was making modest times on the laps, although with one to go, I'd have to do something drastic to make the time....so I did. I picked up the pace (hurt like HELL at this point) and at turn 4 I threw caution and probably safety to the wind, and sprinted as best I could, clocking out at a 12:35.
Top time in the session, the ONLY person in the exam to clear all three tests minimums.

When I finished, I walked a bit, then sat down, because I was shot. One of the instructors came over to me.

"Keep walking around, don't sit."
"Yes sir." I get up and start to walk again.
"Are you okay? Are you dizzy or anything?"
"I'm going to go over there for a little while."
"You didn't answer my question son."
"You noticed huh?"

He laughed, I guess figuring that if I was keeping a sense of humor, that I wasn't going to die.

I then had a Hollywood moment.
Basically, we were all competing for a few slots that are left open in the academy. My being the only one to make all three tests just about promises me a slot. When I got back to the line, one of the guys, a Marine whose done a few tours overseas (and has the scars to prove it) shakes my hand, and tells me to get a haircut because "You just changed your life."

Pretty cool ending to a brutal morning. It wasn't pretty or anything like that, but I'm in. Now all I need to do is conquer the mountain of paperwork for the course registration, purchase the equipment, and survive day 1, which is when they lost most of their dropouts.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 8:00pm
Good job!

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 8:09pm
Congrats Reb! Check out http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.sEZBQDox.dpbs and twohundredsitups.com and brace yourself for all your running prep the next month.

Do you have any additional standards you have to be ready for in January?

Edited by usafpilot07 - 04 December 2012 at 8:11pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 3:36pm
Congrats!  I remember when I passed my PT test to contract into ROTC;  It's a spectacular feeling.  I probably even posted a thread on it.  
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 1:46am
Congrats Reb! I'm maybe just a few months behind you up on my side of the border after a two year recruiting process. Keep us in the loop on how it goes.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic