Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bit of an update on my entrance to the PD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 8:37am
Are you eligible for a Pell grant or something similar? I know a lot of people around here use them.(Feel free to shut me up whenever, I'm just excited I know someone else who will be going the same time as me)

Also, later on, if your department doesn't issue Kevlar, check out the Armor of God project. They're doing some really good work. http://www.vestforlife.com/
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 7:11am
You know, its less the worry about sleep that I'm worried about than it is the toll on my car.

I'm not in a position to buy a new one, and my current war-horse is a 2000 Taurus 6 cylinder with 190,000 miles on it, costing me nearly $30 a day just to get back and forth to work.
Keeping the job would mean the possibility of 300 miles of driving, 3 days a week plus the 2 hours RT on saturdays.
For six months.

All that for a job that I'm not sure will support the added fuel expenses plus the wear and tear that I'd be putting Boris (used to be the wife's car. It's the only male car I've ever known) through, AND feed 4 mouths and cover monthly expenses. Virtually 1/4 of my current take home is going into the gas tank already. 

I'm considering putting in to substitute teach in my area at several different schools, which could guarantee 3-4 days worth of work at $80-$100 a day, which would balance out some of the fuel costs that today's job costs me.

See? I've run all these numbers, and under normal circumstances, you guys are right, I'd keep the job without question. 6 months of hell would pay off in the long run.

and USAF, yeah. I need to pay $2K in tuition. If the dept. didn't sponsor me, it would have been closer to $4500.
That doesn't account for books, uniforms, leather, and gun later on, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm still going to go, there's just a lot of factors that need to be worked out in the meantime.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 10:52pm
Keep the job. One in the hand and all. Sleep with earplugs, delegate to wifey and assign yourself a day to sleep it off. Make no mistake, it will suck. I've done the whole sleeping in my car to balance work and school thing, and taking care of an elderly relative with alzheimer's in addition to the maybe 5 solid hours of sleep I get all summer working with kids and playing taxi to the bar crowd, so working on no sleep is something I'm not a stranger to (though thankfully I have no children known to me). Once you get back into workout mode, you will be able to conk out when it is time to with no problems, wake up and do it again. For a job you want that provides the security you want, it'll be worth it. Besides, you old farts need less sleep. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 10:46pm
Sticking it out with secure employment for 6 months sucks, but it's the best option you have going if you ask me. You may lack some sleep, but it'll only make you that much more prepared for the world of law enforcement.

On the upshot, you'll now be able to buy LEO-Only equipment. Like true switchblade knives and post-86 automatic weapons.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 10:45pm
Glad to hear you got some relatively good news.

Would you still need to pay the whole 2K for the academy? Here in NC, a sponsorship basically just means your endorsed by a PD or SO, and the state waives your tuition cost. Doesn't cost the agency anything, but doesn't guarantee anything past graduation employment wise either. Maybe the city woud be willing to supply your equipment as well? I know that SOME BLETs here will allow a cadet to wear their sponsoring agencies unsworn uniform/pt clothes.

I think my first day is the 7th. Small world.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 10:06pm
Town board met tonight and decided to sponsor me in the police academy in a neighboring county which starts January 5.

I've got the qualifying PT test on tuesday at 10am.
If I make it through that, and can scare up the 2 thousand bucks for the academy, I've got to make it MWF 6-10PM and Saturdays 9-5. Until July.

The sticking point is that they don't want me working until after training, which sticks me with a decision to make:

Do I:

• Keep my current job which will require an 86 mile drive in the morning three days a week, followed by an hour and a half drive to the academy, then another hour home at 10PM when the academy's done.
  • Quit the job, hope and pray I can find something local that will keep the family afloat for 6 months

There's a 3rd option, but I'm not going to mention it until I find out if its true or not. Its a bit extreme, and doesn't sound like it'll work.

There's a lot of question marks, but this could be my only chance to get into the academy. Its either that or wait an entire year to get in again, but run the risk of them hiring someone else in the meantime.

So, I'm progressing here, and I'm looking forward to the rigors of the academy, but man alive do I have to start working my nuts off to shake out the rust and make the times for Tuesday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic