FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New "toy" arriving on Friday:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "toy" arriving on Friday:
    Posted: 27 November 2012 at 8:39am
So, J&G Sales was having a nice black Friday deal on the old M95 carbines (Steyr)which fire the artillery-shell-like 8mm x 56mmR round. For those looking for a comparison, the venerable shoulder-thumper 91/30 Mosin-Nagant fires 7.62x54r. It's a fairly "neat" rifle in the sense that it's a straight pull bolt instead of a rotating bolt (akin to the K31 and Schmitt-Reuben 1911 from Switzerland) and it uses an enbloc clip like the Carcano and M1 Garand. They were originally chambered for 8x50r and then re-chambered as that round became obsolete. The ammo isn't exactly cheap at close to $0.50/rnd but the new production stuff is all boxer primed with good brass from either Privi Partisan or Hornady of Hungary. That means I can hand my brass off to my favorite reloader buddy and he can have fun with it.

Anywho, they were only $79 from J&G with a C&R, so way cheaper than normal. Can't wait to get it home, clean it up (time to grab some easy-off oven cleaner!) and get her to the range. I'll be interested to take it home over xmas and see what it does to some steel plate. The ammo is non-magnetic FMJ, so I'm not expecting massive penetration like my dirty steel-core comblock x54r achieves, but I'll get some non-magnetic x54r as well and compare the two.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 8:40am
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 11:33am
I'm trying to jump into the world of rifles.  I'm hoping I can snag an old lever action .22 from my grandpa.  My grandma is trying to get him to get rid of some of his guns.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I'm trying to jump into the world of rifles.  I'm hoping I can snag an old lever action .22 from my grandpa.  My grandma is trying to get him to get rid of some of his guns.  

Get your 03-FFL and it'll make it much, much more affordable.

It's only $30 and last 3 years and has a wait of about 30 days right now. This sucker is $79 which is a lot cheaper than the $150 normal wholesale price or the $200 retail price.

It's just like Mosins. Used to be able to pick them up for $75 from a pawn shop. Now they're going for anywhere from $150 to $600 depending on the type and year. Meanwhile I can pick up a crate of them for $500 thanks to the 03-FFL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic