FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Xbox help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Xbox help
    Posted: 25 November 2012 at 2:15pm
I've got a rather old Xbx 360, not a slim, the original sized one.

I keep getting an "Unreadable Disk" error. I've looked around the net but I've been told to do everything from dismantle it and rebuild it to tapping on the top.

So far I'm rather loath to take it apart, and Xbox support says file a claim and be without your Xbox for however long.....

Anyone have any other suggestions? Anyone know what's ACTUALLY wrong?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 5:43pm
Buy a new slim.
Que pasa?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 5:56pm
Disk read errors usually point to an issue with the laser. I'd call support, file a claim, and go that route. If you take it apart yourself, they'll wind up charging you even more if you can't fix it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 10:19pm
This happens often, try running a disc cleaner for starters. Every now and again mine does this and similar. Do you hear the start up grind of the disc?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 11:31pm
When my xbox stopped realizing disks were in the tray (like you'd insert a disk and it would still just give the "open tray" option) the solution was actually to drop it on its face. The issue stems from the laser getting stuck at the end of its track, and needing a bump back within its operating range. Take the disk out, then drop it on its faceplate on a carpeted surface from about 3-6 inches high a couple times. It worked every time, and doesn't give me that problem anymore. No idea if that will solve your problem, but worth a try.

Edited by choopie911 - 25 November 2012 at 11:31pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Buy a new slim.

Depending on what 360's are going for in your region, how much disposable income you have, and how much you use it, this probably isn't bad advice.

I know there were some crazy good deals on slims over the black friday weekend.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 12:04am
They sell for around R3500. ~$400. It is well within my disposable income level, (maybe not in the month before Christmas.....)

I just don't want to over invest in the Xbox platform. I'm a PS3 fanboy and a PC fanboy. I've got only a medium investment in PS3 but my PC is pretty kick ass. I got the Xbox in trade for some Airsoft parts.

It was working when it was given to me. I trust the guy who gave it to me. So far the idea was to try the Xbox because the PS3 gaming community here is smaller than than the Xbox and PC. There were lag issues with the PS3 and multiplayer. (BF3 doesn't have any African servers) The guy I play online with most often is the same guy who gave me the Xbox. He's moved away from PC gaming, which is a pity.

So I don't really want to fork out for an Xbox unless it proves itself worth using, which it can't because it is broken :p

Tried the lens cleaner disk, will try a home brew version of same later. I did get it all to work with some percussive persuasion eventually, but we'll see.

KBK
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

So far the idea was to try the Xbox because the PS3 gaming community here is smaller than than the Xbox and PC.

I'd love to know what the background chatter on CoD and BF3 are like over in S. Africa. Over here it's a mix of racist and homophobic insults screamed by 12 year olds coupled with threats to do horrible sexually deviant things with one's mother.

Of course here, it's mainly in English with some French thrown in for good measure depending on the time of day. I really would hope that there's some good Afrikaans and whatnot thrown in for good measure on your servers.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 10:43am
Honestly the chat is mainly what I'm there for in the game :)

In BF2 is was great because the gaming community was minute. We had about 15 servers of which about half were always populated, and generally by the same guys. It used to be like haning out at the pub, talking garbage to each other.

COD 4 MW1 was also pretty good, but you were no longer having private conversations amongs 5 people, now it was open for all, and there were plenty of accusations of cheating and the like.

With the advent of MW2/MW3 and now things like BLOPS2 which use almost random servers it is kinda hard to get into a South African only game. BF3 is the same way, but we can generally get mostly Saffa's around.

There is a LOT of "lies" and general accusations of cheating, about 99% of which are lag issues.

There is very little smack talk about mothers or races. Generally the gaming community is white, and generally upper income. Internet isn't cheap here, especially not gaming level internet. Throw in the PS3 costs more than many people make in a month it isn't suprising that it's mostly the actual rich - most of who are still white- so there isn't much point in racially attacking others.

The talking has died down a LOT since BF2 and most people don't use their mikes for anything worthwhile. I mute anyone who has their mike constantly live, especially if they are playing music or doing helpful things like burping over the VOIP.

Had some cool games where we are talking about garbage with BLOPS2, but because the rounds are so short and the teams random it isn't often you get into good conversations. Had a decent one the other day about why I was using the 5-7 pistol over anything else. Just because really, but it started a good conversation until people had to leave for supper and such.

It is generally a mix of English and Afrikaans. Afrikaans used to be a compulsory subject at school through to matric, so everyone can speak it to a degree. I don't speak it because I sound like an English man trying to speak Afrikaans, but I can understand about 90% of it. So I can join in the conversation if they can understand English. Quite often it is half in Afrikaans and the replies all in English :)

KBK

KBK
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 10:50am

COD 4 MW1 was also pretty good, but you were no longer having private conversations amongs 5 people, now it was open for all, and there were plenty of accusations of cheating and the like.

No accusations here in the U.S., they are cheating and pretty open about it.Wink
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 2:08pm

Generally the gaming community is white, and generally upper income. Internet isn't cheap here, especially not gaming level internet. Throw in the PS3 costs more than many people make in a month it isn't suprising that it's mostly the actual rich - most of who are still white- so there isn't much point in racially attacking others.

So, a PS3 cost about $299 in USD and R2800 what's that in Fourth Zimbabwe Dollars?!?

It is generally a mix of English and Afrikaans. Afrikaans used to be a compulsory subject at school through to matric, so everyone can speak it to a degree. I don't speak it because I sound like an English man trying to speak Afrikaans, but I can understand about 90% of it. So I can join in the conversation if they can understand English. Quite often it is half in Afrikaans and the replies all in English :)

KBK

Yeah, I know Afrikaans used to be compulsory, which is funny to me as most S. Africans I've ever interacted with speak perfectly good English and use it as their default language (at least in my experience). Interestingly enough, a couple of books I've read recently were talking about how the black S. Africans used Afrikaans as a way to seek out expats from other nations who were being blamed for taking jobs, etc. Essentially asking the to count to 10 in Afrikaans or some other "simple" task. Almost all of the authors made sure to point out the irony of using a language forced on them by the oppressive minority government they hated, to single out other Africans fleeing from oppressive governments elsewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic