FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deer hunting this year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer hunting this year.
    Posted: 24 November 2012 at 9:20am
I wasn't going to do it this year because of tight money, new kid, and all that fun stuff.
Well, the wife gave me the green light for a few mornings this week, but this morning was the first chance I got to go out.

Just yesterday, I spied a 4 point buck on my parent's new property, which my brother informed me that I wouldn't be allowed to shoot. Apparently, NYS DEC imposed new regulations for certain management zones- which state that deer taken in those zones MUST have 3 points of 3 or more inches on one side to qualify as legal- in an effort to bring back some of the thinning deer herd. Its not a bad policy, and I agree that the pickings have been slim the last few years.

Anyway, our zone is, of course one of those on the list.

I get out about a half hour before daybreak and find a spot on a trail that deer cross on a regular basis. No signs of life, so about an hour after sunup, I got up and followed the path to the field at the end of it. I didn't really have a plan, but it was getting cold, and moving around seemed like a good idea.
I get into the field, and immediately see a white tail. Freeze.

Can't see the head, but with my luck, its a doe, and you can't get doe permits around here. I watched it for a few moments, and catch a flicker of that unmistakable yellow in front of its ears. ANTLERS!

I flip the safety off the ruger, dial in the scope a bit, and remember the new antler restrictions- but this deer's big enough that there's no way he didn't meet the limit.

Wrong.

The bastard lifted his head, and I almost laughed and cried at the same time. Three points total- a split with two on one side, and a single pinkie on the other. It was comical on the size animal he was. As big as he was, he should have had 6 or 8 points.

Nope. two. MAYBE three.

And he knew I couldn't shoot him. We stared at each other for no less than 10 minutes, while I debated taking him anyway and having him cut up on the sly by one of my friends. I didn't do it, slung the rifle and walked away.

And spooked three more deer on the way out- all doe, but still.

You want to know the worst part? There's a group of guys that are also allowed to hunt this property (its private, and we've got permission from the landowner) and these guys WILL shoot this deer- restrictions or no- since they cut it up at their cabin across the street.
They have no regard for the local hunting laws and take doe all the time, permit or no permit. I let the thing walk, so one of these morons can take it with no consequences.

Sometimes, being the good guy blows.

Lets see what happens tomorrow.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 9:42am
Like the turkey's, I can sit on that same back porch and it's maybe a 125m shot. We have a 6 pointer, and a larger 8 pointer, as well as various does, in that copse of trees right off that pasture you can see in the turkey pic. Just sit on the porch around 6-7am, coffee in hand, sun comes up, put down coffee cup, pick up the 91/30, alighn the sights, slow squeeze, and a big bullet does its thing. No walkin, 'huntin' or hassle, next year repeat, we abound in does the next generation of 'bucks' are out there too.

And in Nebraska since they are on the 'farm', and now we have domesticated animals and feed on the property, a 'pest' animal no permit required.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 9:54am
There's no luxury of that here. The herd has been so thinned out that these restrictions are sort of necessary. But he's the first buck I've seen in three years, and had I seen him last year, Meat.

We have a HUGE population of guys from NYC, NJ, and LI who come up and shoot anything that moves, spike, doe, dog, cow- whatever....that I don't really protest the restrictions. I'm just pissed off that someone else WILL take him.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:36am
Hunter logic:

"we hunt for population control"

Laws:

"can't shoot because the population is too low"

On that more, I really think I would enjoy hunting at some point. Though I think I'd rather hunt turkey with a .50 cal. I hate turkeys. They were so frequent at my work in Mass I could probably knife kill 3 a day. One day one stood on top of this guys car in a parking lot for an hour. The guy from the south was so confused that they are that frequent there.
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:10pm
A lot of places don't have the regulations like my area does- or if they do, they're a bit more relaxed. Doe permits are easier to get, and there's no minimum spike for the bucks.

The regulations are in place to make sure that a local population isn't wiped out, but hunting is still in use to make sure it doesn't explode altogether. There's a balance that needs to be met I guess. I don't really know.

For decades, the area of the Catskills that I'm in was subjected to such over harvesting that they needed to impose the management regulations, which I'm more than happy to abide by. If the law says I can't shoot a spike horn this year, I won't. My beef is that there are people who will, and do. And they're not caught.

Literally everyone I've spoken to today told me "You should have shot it anyway." But what's the point? If I'm taking spikes out of the woods every year, there won't be any of the big ones down the pipeline.

To be honest, I counted this morning as a successful hunt. Had hit antlers been bigger, or I'd been a bigger jerk, I'd have venison on the table. There was no missing at the range he was at, and he was broadside of me twice. I've done so many hunts where the only living things I see are chickadees. To catch sight of 4, and scope one of them. I'm perfectly happy with it.

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:56pm
I've been trying to pick up a bow so I can hunt next year. There is a short season starting the first of the year, but I doubt i'll be ready for that.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 3:01pm
I've never been hunting. I'd like to go. A deer just took out my sister's car as she was on her way home for Thanksgiving (she's alright, though), costing me a butt-rush emergency trip 7 hours away to go get her.

I owe them one...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 6:10pm
Archery season was quite interesting, shotgun opens here monday. Had two fighting bucks running around me on the ground but wasn't going to try a running shot, even from 10 yards. I have trail cam pics of both bucks, a nice 8 pointer and a total monster. Last year I saw a spike opening day of shotgun after an exciting bow season, and nothing for the remainder. 
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 8:04pm
Never been deer hunting, but I know plenty that do.  I'm going pheasant hunting next Monday.  I enjoy it.  Good exercise.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 8:51pm
I hope to hunt next year. Gotta take that damn hunter safety course so I can finally pick up a rifle of my own.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 5:26am
I'm headed out again this morning to the same spot.
I'm not a great sportsman by any means, but I flushed three doe out of the area on my way out of the woods. Logic tells me that there's no way that little spike I crossed yesterday is the only buck in the range. Unless he was killed off this season already, there's got to be another one around somewhere.

I've got this morning and Thursday morning as my season, and thursday's iffy with weather coming up. My best chance for payoff is this morning.

Temps feel like 15 degrees this morning. Those of you that want to get into the hobby, mull that over for a few moments. LOL

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 8:39am
Make a knocker, imitate the buck antler scrape, or butting sound around any does you see. Will draw out any bucks in area to 'see' who is invading thier area. It's also marginal, but bring some 'fall' apples and lay them along any deer trails, deer will return hoping to find more early AM, or just before true sunset.

Scope?, you are a wimp. 45/70 Model 71 at 100m. I don't chase field deer.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 11:05am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Anyone who can't hit a deer in an open field at 100 yards with open sights shouldn't be shooting.

However, I'd like to see you identify antler points at 100-150 yards without optics in medium brush cover in low light. The scope is as necessary as the bullet is in some instances.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 4:56pm
You are lucky to have the 3-point rule over the crap I have to abide by. In my zone in Texas it has to be a spike on one side or the rack has to have a width of 13 inches or more. It is easier to count points than measure 13 inches. My complaint about the rule is people kill any spike or 3 point they can see so that deer doesn't get grow up, and the large bucks with poor racks get protected and continue to breed.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 7:23pm
Wow. that is a pretty messed up set of parameters for taking a deer. Can you get doe permits?

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Make a knocker, imitate the buck antler scrape, or butting sound around any does you see. Will draw out any bucks in area to 'see' who is invading thier area. It's also marginal, but bring some 'fall' apples and lay them along any deer trails, deer will return hoping to find more early AM, or just before true sunset.

45/70 would be insane overkill for Texas deer LOL

Now if I ever get in to hog hunting a 45/70 Marlin might be something I'll pick up. The one my dad had as a kid kicked like a mule with hot loads and I never saw the advantage over a 30/30 for our bite sized deer.

I hate scopes myself, but as Reb said I don't trust my eyes with deer.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 4:38am
Have doe tag, if it's brown, it's down. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 6:52am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Have doe tag, if it's brown, it's down. 

Ask for one for my management unit, they laugh at you.

Its been that way for as long as I can remember. You can get preference points for a lottery, but its not worth the effort. Lots of guys get doe tags for neighboring units, then take and tag a doe from there. I could have done the same thing for the small bucks I've seen in the last two days, but as I said- what's the point? All I'd be doing is making sure I have something to complain about next year when there's no deer around.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 7:04am
I haven't looked into it this year, but I know last year, they were practically giving away extra doe tags.

After the initial stamp/tags purchase(which was 2 bucks, and I THINK 3 does), you could purchase extra doe tags for like 5 or 10 bucks.

We have a smidge of an overpopulation problem.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Wow. that is a pretty messed up set of parameters for taking a deer. Can you get doe permits?

For a long while we couldn't take a doe so the guys on our lease applied for a special permit (LAMPS), so we get a few permits for the whole lease. The amount of permits is smaller than the amount of hunters on the lease so they are saved for the end of the season and distributed to the ones that have struck out so far.

In the last couple of years the state has re-opened a doe season for our area the first week or so of gun season, but since we have the special permit the doe season does not apply to our lease.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic