FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kindle Fire/HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kindle Fire/HD
    Posted: 23 November 2012 at 8:21pm
Anyone got any experience with the Kindle fire or Fire HD?

Basically been thinking about getting one for the maternal unit for her Christmas. Price is a really attractive part of the deal. Fire being 129.00 and Fire HD 159.00. (that's a different number in foreign money)
   So far I'm leaning towards the HD but since my mum isn't technologically inclined I'm not sure what the UI, price of books (that she picks up in physical form by the dozen) and other tablet functions etc are really like and whether it's worth a punt. 
   So anyone got anything to say about getting one for someone who although not a technophobe couldn't find her RS component with both hands?

I have read some reviews but they tend to be written by dicks. I figured if any of you lot had one it'd get put into perspective.

Disclaimer: I have never given a monkey's ring-bit about tablets so am grossly ill-informed. 
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 12:15am
I got the fire for christmas last year, I love mine as well. It's a decent cheap alternative to other tablets. Only complaint I have is the operating system, wish I had more access to android apps etc. But it doesn't sound like that will be a problem for your mom. I really don't know what else to say about it other than that though, the facebook app for it kind of sucks but I really don't have to many complaints. If you have any questions feel free to ask though i'm fairly tired and don't really want to ramble to much. LOL
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 9:40am
I got the fire last year on craigslist for $110... I love it, great for reading books, or looking at stuff online. The forum doesn't work on the original fire. Haven't tried the HD version yet. My daughter has the 8.9 inch large HD fire, and it is sweet. 

I just sold my regular fire to my brother and I'm getting the smaller hd version, so I will let you know what I think. I do like the size of the original better than the newer one as the old one is longer, while the newer one is more square. But the newer one is much lighter and the speakers are WAY better (the old one fire had the speakers on one side, so you hand could cover them.). 

You have to use the menu to change the volume on the old fire, where the new one has buttons on the side. Better. But the buttons are flush, so it takes some time to get used to them, as you don't feel them when you run your finger down the side... The HD screen is AMAZING on the large HD version, but.. the apps are made for the old resolution one, so don't expect apps to look good on the new one for a while. 

For the money, I like them, my original fire would crash when I used words with friends, and then wordswithfriendscheat.net and bounced back and forth... while finding words that were ridiculous to drop on my unsuspecting friends. lol. 

Sometimes the browser crashes, but usually only when you have been using a bunch of apps and haven't shut it all the way down in a while... 

The original fire is on sale at amazon today for $129, which is a KILLER deal, and well worth the money. Having a tablet in your living room instead of your laptop is a win no matter how you look at it. I use it for craigslist, and ebay as well, and it works great. Plus  you can store pics on it, and share them when people are over, or store your video on it, and carry it with you. I'm getting my wife the large Fire HD for Christmas...

Oh, the tippmann forum you can browse, but you can't reply with the original fire... 
They tremble at my name...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic