FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tonight....I find out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonight....I find out
    Posted: 15 November 2012 at 3:42pm
...If I'm the father.

er.

No. wait.

The town board decides on if they want to hire me as a police officer or not. One of the sticking points is training, and even though its legal to work up to a year before hand, one of the guys who has a great deal of pull in town (my brothers father in law actually) is against that happening. I can see why, and I'm not going to argue it.

However, the chief found an academy in a neighboring county that starts up next month. So they could theoretically hire me, then pay me to go to the academy. I'm praying they don't decide to stinge out, and make me pay the two grand for tuition out of pocket and then make their decision.

Any way, I'm excited to find out either way. Id like for this to go through, but its out of my hands. I played all the cards, handed in all the paperwork, and spoke to all the people. Now its up to the town to decide if they want me.

fingers crossed, I'm certain that this is what I want to do, and here's my chance to get in the door.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:20pm
Good luck. I'm going to start academy first week of January, maybe we'll hit FTO about the same time.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:35pm
Hope it works out for you
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:49pm
GL;HF;DD
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:11pm
Good luck mate!
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 9:32pm
GO GET 'EM, TIGER!
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:08pm
Nice Reb! Best of Luck!
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 12:33am
Cool! Holding thumbs for you!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 9:05am
Good luck! What dept. are you trying to get into?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

Good luck! What dept. are you trying to get into?

Its the town department.

The meeting was last Thursday, and I haven't heard anything from anyone. I'm going to assume the worst, since I think if they were going to hire me, they'd have called by now.

What I think has happened, is that the town decided they need a new officer when one of their current guys leaves for the state police academy. Rather than hire me, the town probably told the chief to go to the civil service list instead and pick someone who already has the training.

That's the most likely case. My buddy on the inside is going to keep me informed as soon as he hears anything, but nobody's even said anything to him about what went down during the meeting. They know he's been pushing to get me in, and not saying anything to him either sort of points to not a negative outcome.

I think I'll die chained to a tech support desk.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 6:44pm

Hang in there man, I know guys who applied for months and years before getting a bite from a police department.

The city I applied to is part of a three city joint hiring operation, so you apply to all three at the same time. One of the cops here applied and tested for the first one, got turned down, tested for the second one and got the same result, then the third one called and hired him several months later.

It's a competitive field nowadays. When I did my physical test I thought I was in pretty good shape but there were lots of ex-military guys and very athletic types along with me that just blew away my run time. Then I found out I had smoked an illiegal substance just a hair too recently (the requirement was five years, it had been four for me) so I figured I'd hang back, put some more effort into running, and then apply next summer after the spring semester is over. Plus there's another department around here for whom my government professor is a recruiter and so I'm kind of holding out for an opening with them.

TL;DR-It's deperessing, but at least where I'm at it's the nature of the beast.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 7:41pm
Yeah, I know its a tough field to break into, and I'm amazed that I got this far so easily.

I found out this evening from my 'inside guy' - that there are no other local candidates for the full time position they're offering. My main competition is another guy who is already in the academy- but he's not local and nobody knows much about him.

The chief is looking for someone who might be local without wanting to jet off to the next best thing as soon as they can.
Its a bit of a problem because this guy's already trained (or training) and I'm not. My ace in the hole though, is that I have gotten the ear of the town supervisor and deputy supervisor. Both of them have been working with my father over the last year and a half in getting his new house and land squared away after the flood took his old one. So they know the name. My father called the deputy recently and mentioned what I was looking for- telling him that I didn't want to call him personally because I didn't want it to seem like I was taking advantage of his relationship with my father to call for a favor.
A fairly clever move on my dad's part if you ask me, he's a rather shrewd old man.

Besides that, I've got a name in the community after having been involved in a pretty high profile rescue with the fire department a few years back. I'm hoping name recognition, the fact I haven't been on the wrong side of the law, and prior service to the community as a volunteer will carry a little weight, but I can't pretend to speak for the town.

I'm not trying to get into it for the perks and benefits attached to it. Up until about 4 months ago I'd never considered becoming a cop- but the more my friend pushed, the more he tried to convince me that I might be good at it, the more I've wanted it. Its nice to know I haven't been ruled out as a possibility though....

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Reb Reb wrote:

I'm not trying to get into it for the perks and benefits attached to it. Up until about 4 months ago I'd never considered becoming a cop- but the more my friend pushed, the more he tried to convince me that I might be good at it, the more I've wanted it. Its nice to know I haven't been ruled out as a possibility though....

Police work is one of the few "straight to middle class" professions left out there, plus it's one of the few with a relatively high demand, low entry requirements, and really great room for advancement.

It's alot like nursing in that way, but I really despise hospitals despite working in them for four years. Depressing places to me.

The other great thing in my area is that most of the departments encourage you to pursue your education and, especially for business majors such as myself, a degree can really push you into new fields with the police experience.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:30pm
Best of luck mate, I was beginning to think it might have been bad news due to the lack of update. Sounds like you're still onto one.

If you do become a copper just please don't be a dick (not that I think you would be). Good cops that are down to earth and have a sense of humour are a major asset. Whereas jobsworth plods on a power trip are a penny a bag. Many a time when I've had "experience" with the constabulary I've found myself basically taking the telling and going away a wee bit embarrassed all because the officer just had a word. I've seen a few riots come about from coppers trying to throw their weight around when it wasn't needed.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

you do become a copper just please don't be a dick (not that I think you would be). Good cops that are down to earth and have a sense of humour are a major asset. Whereas jobsworth plods on a power trip are a penny a bag. Many a time when I've had "experience" with the constabulary I've found myself basically taking the telling and going away a wee bit embarrassed all because the officer just had a word. I've seen a few riots come about from coppers trying to throw their weight around when it wasn't needed.

Translation-Scotchy doesn't want another indecent exposure ticket.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:41pm
Oh it was a decent exposure. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Oh it was a decent exposure. 
At least that's what that gypo tart said. The silly-cow bar maid however, begged to differ.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:32pm
Unless of course you were referring to that time I got done with in-descent exposure?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic